I just don't get it!

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,803
    orraloon wrote:
    I thought it was odd that they made a programme about me that didn't even feature me (and now I discover, Bally too).
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    The Hunger Games.

What a convoluted load of nonsense.

The older I get, the better I was.

• eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    keef66 wrote:

And Mrs. Brown's Boys.

Me too. I have colleagues, some of them quite intelligent people, who rave about it. I just don't get it.

Funny thing humour.

Found the first series quite funny,but the BBC kicked the life out of it by keep repeating them,when it comes on now I turn over even if is one I might not of seen

As for Star Wars I saw the original ones when I was a kid,enjoyed them but never saw the huge fascination in them

I have never got Star Trek
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,517
    Michael Jackson
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Not seen a Star Trek film either.
    +1 Wacko Jacko.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I bought the middle girl a Jacko best of. Disc 1 covered the Motown years up to Thriller. disc 2 never got an airing.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    David Hockney
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    +1 for Bat Out of Hell and Sci- Fi

I'll throw "Lord of the Rings" in as well.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Pross wrote:
    The Matrix. I get the basic premise but the rest is just nonsense and I've never understood why so many people thought it was a great film. I'd add Dr Who as well. Sci Fi writers seem to use 'it's science fiction therefore we can do anything' as an excuse for incomprehensible drivel.

I appreciate the context of this thread is not to query the suggestions put forward by other posters, though you are all completely wrong afaic on all of these put forward so far :)

but do you mean The Matrix, or the Matrix trilogy, and as far as Doctor Who, classic or new wave ? because I feel there is a a massive difference between both in terms of why people like them and why some wouldnt
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,293
    awavey wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    The Matrix. I get the basic premise but the rest is just nonsense and I've never understood why so many people thought it was a great film. I'd add Dr Who as well. Sci Fi writers seem to use 'it's science fiction therefore we can do anything' as an excuse for incomprehensible drivel.

I appreciate the context of this thread is not to query the suggestions put forward by other posters, though you are all completely wrong afaic on all of these put forward so far :)

but do you mean The Matrix, or the Matrix trilogy, and as far as Doctor Who, classic or new wave ? because I feel there is a a massive difference between both in terms of why people like them and why some wouldnt

I only watched the first Matrix, couldn't bring myself to watch another two! Doctor Who since it's comeback, I quite enjoyed it as a kid. I saw bits of a couple of the latest series and it felt like the were trying to cram in political messages too.

As someone else said, I'd throw in Lord of the Rings as well. I've never read the books but the films, especially the final one, just seemed like bits of plot to take it to the next major CGI battle scene.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,065
    Pross wrote:
    I only watched the first Matrix, couldn't bring myself to watch another two!
    The Matrix is one of those films where it appears to be nonsense and leaving the viewer with a "what was that?" impression. It click into place with further viewings but much like "an acquired taste" most won't go past the first taste.
    The other two are tosh though.

Back OT, sweaty, old socks smelly aged blue cheese. An acquired taste. :wink:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Can't think of any film that I thought was shite and then thought I'd give a second go. Seems illogical to think that somehow the experience would improve second time around.
  • pblakeney
    I also suggest Cloud Atlas then! :lol:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • SJH76
    SJH76 Posts: 191
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Can't think of any film that I thought was shite and then thought I'd give a second go. Seems illogical to think that somehow the experience would improve second time around.

It's not just movies, it's any pop culture or popular item that everyone seems to rave about.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,671
    I had a similar opinion about The Matrix but someone who is much more of a cinema nerd than me explained that at the time it was a masterful piece of cinematography in terms of the...erm...art and technical wizardry that it used.

That made it make a bit more sense to me, but didn't stop me reaching the end of the third film not giving a damn if Neo and the emo chick lived or died any more...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    ddraver wrote:
    I had a similar opinion about The Matrix but someone who is much more of a cinema nerd than me explained that at the time it was a masterful piece of cinematography in terms of the...erm...art and technical wizardry that it used.

That made it make a bit more sense to me, but didn't stop me reaching the end of the third film not giving a damn if Neo and the emo chick lived or died any more...
    I enjoyed the first one (no more, no less) but the 2nd and 3rd, wow, they are bad.

Star Wars, enjoyed when young, a couple of times I've started to watch them again when on TV and quickly find myself distracted.
    Work in IT and the level of obsession some people have with the franchise is just baffling.

Mind you, I don't understand the obsession with watching any pasttime, e.g professional sport etc. I love to watch lots of sport but it's never as good as taking part yourself. How could watching somebody else do something e.g. football be the most important thing in your life?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Superhero movies.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Strictly!!!
  • Joyce Carol Oates. No end of nominations and awards in the literary world but I found her books slow and tedious and have not finished those that I attempted.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    edited December 2018
    mrfpb wrote:
    I bought the middle girl a Jacko best of. Disc 1 covered the Motown years up to Thriller. disc 2 never got an airing.

I always say that everyone should listen
    ‘Off The Wall’ to remind yourself how utterly fantastic pop music can be

OTW really is Michael Jackson’s high water mark, Thriller was already on a downward trajectory and it started falling off a cliff from ‘Bad’ onwards!

Despite lots and lots of adverse publicity MJ was a major musical talent!
  • pblakeney
    crispybug2 wrote:
    Despite lots and lots of adverse publicity Quincy Jones was a major musical talent!
    FTFY
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Formula 1.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • SecretSam wrote:
    Formula 1.
    I don't get it either, but that doesn't stop me falling asleep in front of it whenever it's on "normal" telly when I don't have anything better to do.
  • Plus a vote for Lord of the Rings. I fell asleep in the first episode, then had to stop myself laughing out loud during the final battle scene. Didn't bother with the rest for obvious reasons.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,843
    Plus a vote for Lord of the Rings. I fell asleep in the first episode, then had to stop myself laughing out loud during the final battle scene. Didn't bother with the rest for obvious reasons.
    Not sure Lord of the rings is widely admired as a classic, but I agree with you on it.

An Aussie mate told me that they only filmed it in New Zealand because they wouldn't have to put any make up on the extras :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Sports Personality of the Year. Nothing more than BBC navel gazing self-aggrandisement. In 2012 almost before he sat on the throne the cvnt on the commentary said that in conjunction with his TdF win this should help him win Sports Personality of the year.
  • At least its got more to justify it than the British Soap Awards
  • At least its got more to justify it than the British Soap Awards

Does such a thing exist?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,208
    Nothing more than navel gazing self-aggrandisement.

A description of pretty much all awards ceremonies. Plus they are a way to rake in some cash by telling people they are nominated for Best Bathroom Extractor Fan then get them to book a table for a four figure sum.

Yes the British Soap Awards are a real thing.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    SJH76 wrote:
    My sister today offered me tickets to go see the new War of the world's musical next year. I just can't stand it. Never liked the story and hate the music. I know it's seen as a classic both as the original H.G Wells book or the Jeff Wayne music accompaniment. So that got me thinking, what piece of music, culture, movie etc etc that's universally seen as 'brilliant' that you just do not get?

2001 space odyssey. I was expecting some cool space adventure akin to Star Wars, in reality just a load of pretentious kubric boring sh1te.