I just don't get it!

Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Huge watches.
    Ninja cycling clothing.
    Cars that are freaking enormous but have tiny interiors.
    Polo shirts.
    Shoes with tracksuit bottoms. But conversely not trainers with a suit. The latter says I'm wearing the suit because I have to, the former says I have no clue what I'm doing.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,568
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    FishFish wrote:

MTBing.

Excellent remark.

(for once)

Nah, MTBing is great fun if you arn't a bit fragile and can handle a bike. MTBing created Sagan and Sagan is the saviour of the scientific, race radio, power metered lab rats.
    MTBing is called fun biking for a reason. Why were these remarks not a surprise? :wink:

Meh. Too slow.

There’s a reason roadies are always up for SPOTY and not MTBers. Too busy sniffing glue.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,452
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    FishFish wrote:

MTBing.

Excellent remark.

(for once)

Nah, MTBing is great fun if you arn't a bit fragile and can handle a bike. MTBing created Sagan and Sagan is the saviour of the scientific, race radio, power metered lab rats.
    MTBing is called fun biking for a reason. Why were these remarks not a surprise? :wink:

Meh. Too slow.

There’s a reason roadies are always up for SPOTY and not MTBers. Too busy sniffing glue.
    Strictly, the winner needs to have a personality. That's why I'm puzzled about the recent roadie winners.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    FishFish wrote:

MTBing.

Excellent remark.

(for once)

Meh. Too slow.

Strictly, the winner needs to have a personality. That's why I'm puzzled about the recent roadie winners.

Ha. To be fair Wiggins, Cav and Thomas are all characters. Ryan Giggs and three times winner Murray though, I mean blimey!
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Oasis,two decent songs and a lot of hype
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,317
    James Corden
    Ant and Dec
    Rob Brydon
    Strictly
    The Kardashian's
    Simon Cowell
    The celeb culture
    Eminem
    Brexit
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,576
    Robert88 wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    Michael bl00dy mcintyre.

Simple, purile 'humour' with no intelligence or class.

Absolutely, I'd sling Mrs Brown's Boys in there too.

Wasn't there some guy called jeremy beadle who did stuff like Michael bl00dy mcintire? And yes, Mrs Brown's boys - there is only one joke and it's at least 50 years past its sell-by-date.

Yes! Mrs Browns boys, wtaf is funny about that alleged comedy show?
    I hope it is not sold to other countries, and they end up thinking this is the best we have to offer.
    ffs.

Citizen Khan is also abysmal, just a shocking waste of money and resource, and for what exactly?

I used to love Top Gear, and still did with Joey and Co, but Paddy Mcguinness or whoever he is, I hold in similar esteem to Mcintyre (and Jon Bishop come to that) and the ex cricketer bloke is a million miles from the sharpest tool in the box.
    Not saying previous hosts have been, but you have to have a certain something about you to make that show work imo.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Daniel B wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    Michael bl00dy mcintyre.

Simple, purile 'humour' with no intelligence or class.

Absolutely, I'd sling Mrs Brown's Boys in there too.

Wasn't there some guy called jeremy beadle who did stuff like Michael bl00dy mcintire? And yes, Mrs Brown's boys - there is only one joke and it's at least 50 years past its sell-by-date.

Yes! Mrs Browns boys, wtaf is funny about that alleged comedy show?
    I hope it is not sold to other countries, and they end up thinking this is the best we have to offer.
    ffs.

Citizen Khan is also abysmal, just a shocking waste of money and resource, and for what exactly?

I used to love Top Gear, and still did with Joey and Co, but Paddy Mcguinness or whoever he is, I hold in similar esteem to Mcintyre (and Jon Bishop come to that) and the ex cricketer bloke is a million miles from the sharpest tool in the box.
    Not saying previous hosts have been, but you have to have a certain something about you to make that show work imo.

Clarksons car reviews were funny and captured the British sense of humour. The Robin Reliant one was brilliant. The new teams have been too try hard for me and play to a global audience.

If I want to see a new car now I just go to various youtubers, who know what they are talking about and are enthusiatic without being too pretentious.
  • Middle aged people mimping about stuff. You guys sound like Pinno.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    edited December 2018
    Neil Diamond -- when I first heard him sing I thought he was a comedy act he was so off tune.

Me too for -- Star Wars -- I thought it was Jeffery zippy and bungle on a space adventure at the time.

Facebook -- why is Facebook entitled to know your name, where you live, where you went to school etc etc etc . ??? .......... you'd feel your being set up for a scam if any other website asked for all that detail about you.
  • Dogging. Don’t get it.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Dogging. Don’t get it.

Maybe you should try a different search engine?
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I might be wrong but I have always suspected that those who are so dismissive of the first Star Wars movie are maybe not of an age where they saw it in an actual cinema when it was first released. As a teenage SciFi nut, I can still remember the wow factor of that experience as it was just so far ahead of anything that had been released at the time. That said, I'm not convinced that it is the masterpiece that some consider it to be (but I would rather fall asleep watching Star Wars 10 times than sit through 5 minutes of '2001: A Space Odyssey'
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Cowsham wrote:
    Facebook -- why is Facebook entitled to know your name, where you live, where you went to school etc etc etc . ??? .......... you'd feel your being set up for a scam if any other website asked for all that detail about you.

It's not entitled to know anything about you... it knows nothing about me whatsoever.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,944
    People like Michael Buble who sing to 'big band' music.

It went out with the ark for gods sake! I thought it was bad enough a few years back when Harry Connick Jr did it as if it was something new, but every now and then we get the latest singer doing the same. And when they shout "yeh!" and "hey!" as interjections between the lines, they should be hit with a cricket bat.

The older I get, the better I was.

• capt_slog
    joe2008 wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:

It's not entitled to know anything about you... it knows nothing about me whatsoever.

Ditto, and what is there for me is 'friends only' AND they are really friends, not one of the many who might know me.

• Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Daniel B wrote:
    ...and the ex cricketer bloke is a million miles from the sharpest tool in the box...

I think Flintoff's biggest trick has been to come across as a "lad". Listening to him talk on his podcast he actually comes across quite well and is obviously quite a smart cookie. He just plays up to the dumbed down Barmy Army crowd.

I don't get why stupidity is worn as a badge of honour.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Capt Slog wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:

Ditto, and what is there for me is 'friends only' AND they are really friends, not one of the many who might know me.
    Don’t Facebook have access to this info and can use as they wish?
    As I don’t feel the need to tell everyone and his dog where I’ve been on holiday or what I’ve eaten I have no need for it :D
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    OK, since nobody posting on here seems to have the slightest understanding of what the thread was meant to be about, let me help.

The Godfather. It's crap. The only character that deserves any sympathy gets blown up before she gets any decent character development. Everybody else just deserves to get killed a lot more quickly than the running time of the movie. They are all terrible people. It's horribly over-rated. Nice cinematography alone does not make a great film. But everyone thinks it is great (probably mostly because they are told to). This is the premise of the thread.

Anyone who genuinely thinks that James Corden, Top Gear, Facebook and Mrs Browns Boys are universally admired must be living a strange existence.

Don't all thank me at once for putting this thread back on course!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,623
    Rolf F wrote:
    OK, since nobody posting on here seems to have the slightest understanding of what the thread was meant to be about, let me help.

The Godfather. It's crap. The only character that deserves any sympathy gets blown up before she gets any decent character development. Everybody else just deserves to get killed a lot more quickly than the running time of the movie. They are all terrible people. It's horribly over-rated. Nice cinematography alone does not make a great film. But everyone thinks it is great (probably mostly because they are told to). This is the premise of the thread.

Anyone who genuinely thinks that James Corden, Top Gear, Facebook and Mrs Browns Boys are universally admired must be living a strange existence.

Maybe not universally admired - is anything truly universally admired - but while not my thing either, I'm led to believe that those examples are/were all quite popular. If they weren't, they would quickly vanish into history. Are you sure you understand the premise? ;)
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    rjsterry wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Maybe not universally admired - is anything truly universally admired - but while not my thing either, I'm led to believe that those examples are/were all quite popular. If they weren't, they would quickly vanish into history. Are you sure you understand the premise? ;)
    OP wrote:
    what piece of music, culture, movie etc etc that's universally seen as 'brilliant' that you just do not get?

Yes, I am sure that I understand the premise! Obviously, nothing is truly universally admired - if it was, then this thread would by definition not exist. But there is a difference between stuff that is in practical terms seemingly universally admired (eg Godfather) and things that are utterly despised (and always have been) by a high proportion of the population that give a damn; eg James Corden, Top Gear, Facebook and Mrs Browns Boys. This thread, as it turned out, would be more accurately titled "List the stuff you don't like".
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    Rolf F wrote:

Thanks -- I get it now and yes I got bored with the godfather in the first 10min so haven't ever watched it -- what's it about anyway?
  • capt_slog
    Rolf F wrote:

Nah, it didn't need explaining.

If the majority of your acquaintances think something is good and you're the odd one out, then obviously "you just don't get it". By extension, if the popular belief is that something is good (critics rave about it, it's always on the TV, they're the guest of choice on every TV panel show etc.), you might not get that either.

The examples you list are ones you don't like. The Godfather is a case in point. I've always thought it was crap too and therefore, to me, it's not universally admired.
    :D

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,568
    I find it difficult to dislike Corden as he co-wrote Gavin & Stacey which is a stone cold classic.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    So, trying to stick to Rolf's premise:
    It seems to me that grumpy middle aged cyclists (I'm not wrong, am I? That's basically our demographic) universally like the idea that if everyone else likes something but they don't, then everyone else must be cretins.

But I don't get it. I am well aware that I disagree fundamentally with a lot of people: often on things that are a little less trivial than the merits of Star Wars, and often I am part of a pretty small minority.
    However, I try to use a little logic, a little empathy, and give people (yes, even Brexiteers) the respect that they have, or at least might have, some valid reason for their ridiculous failure to agree with me.

I know, I'm out of step in this day and age.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,732
    Cowsham wrote:
    Me too for -- Star Wars -- I thought it was Jeffery zippy and bungle on a space adventure at the time.

Love it, I actually really enjoyed the first film but I was about 8 at the time.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    The Deer Hunter.
  • Love the godfather.

Simply do not understand Mrs brown's boys. Utter shyte.

What happened between Corden and the other guy?

Top gear comes and goes in cycles.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,929
    The Young Ones.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Rolf F wrote:

Everyone is entitled to an opinion of their own (although you omitted the IMHO) but, in this case, you're wrong and so is everybody else who doesn't like it (obviously, IMHO). It's a brilliant film and anybody who says otherwise is talking absolute ballocks (IMHO of course).

However, you are right about James Corden, Top Gear (for maybe the last 10 years at least), Facebook and Mrs Browns Boys (which in particular is a pile of irredeemably puerile sh1te).
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)