The cooking thread and what are you having for dinner tonight beansnikpoh?

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Pizza from Fireaway pizza in Epsom. Delivered 30 mins late and stone cold. Shame, as I think it's probably pretty good pizza when actually hot. Yeah I can warm it up, but that's not the point.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    elbowloh said:

Pizza from Fireaway pizza in Epsom. Delivered 30 mins late and stone cold. Shame, as I think it's probably pretty good pizza when actually hot. Yeah I can warm it up, but that's not the point.

Should this not be in the ironic thread.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091
    Ask them for it half baked the next time.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Come round here.. I love babies and little ones, as long as I can return them. We had friends over last weekend who have a 16 month old. Gorgeous, but obvs also a pain.

We've got pizza down pat now..Mrs H³ does the dough. She makes a round. We stick tomato, cheese and whatever on it. It goes in the ooni for a minute. As good as you'll get. Carbonisation is now a thing of the past.

I've ordered a new headset today, hopefully V68 will come and show me how to do it for coffee and pizza.
  • elbowloh
    hopkinb said:

Come round here.. I love babies and little ones, as long as I can return them. We had friends over last weekend who have a 16 month old. Gorgeous, but obvs also a pain.

We've got pizza down pat now..Mrs H³ does the dough. She makes a round. We stick tomato, cheese and whatever on it. It goes in the ooni for a minute. As good as you'll get. Carbonisation is now a thing of the past.

I've ordered a new headset today, hopefully V68 will come and show me how to do it for coffee and pizza.

Would rather not know how to do the headset for your bike? Not sure how it would fit in a coffee or a pizza.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • hopkinb
    Yer. I could improve my explanation. Pizza and caffeine/alcohol for bike maintenance.
  • pinno
    Because of Lockdown, we've missed seeing Tricky and Shorty's cousins Jack and Freya. Both lovely but Jack especially - he is/was one of those perpetually happy laughing babies/toddlers.
  • elbowloh
    hopkinb said:

Yer. I could improve my explanation. Pizza and caffeine/alcohol for bike maintenance.

Nah, I was just being a tit
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh said:

hopkinb said:

Nah, I was just being a censored
    I can't believe t.it is censored
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pinno
    Let's try teet...
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    pinno said:

Let's try teet...

Or nork?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Ben's burgers have gone on the menu for this week.
  • shirley_basso
    hopkinb said:

I am an casual investor and drinker but not at that level. I generally spend about 3k per year on en primeur and the odd thing here and there, plus the grog I buy for daily drinking.

I probably could afford to own it, but not drink it, and as I am in the process of buying a house I need slightly more fungible* assets!

*not liquid ;)

I last spent some money on EP in 2005. My daughter is a 2010, but I thought I would just pick something up in the secondary market. Very good wines (not 1sts or super seconds) are about the same price in real terms now as they were EP, especially once you factor in storage costs.

2010 is good value at the moment. Wheeler have a few good ones at around 20 quid.

I have a couple of 1st in there, but not Grands.

Looking forward to 2020 releases.
  • hopkinb

Ben's burgers have gone on the menu for this week.

Do report back, with pics!
  • hopkinb

hopkinb said:

I am an casual investor and drinker but not at that level. I generally spend about 3k per year on en primeur and the odd thing here and there, plus the grog I buy for daily drinking.

I probably could afford to own it, but not drink it, and as I am in the process of buying a house I need slightly more fungible* assets!

*not liquid ;)

I last spent some money on EP in 2005. My daughter is a 2010, but I thought I would just pick something up in the secondary market. Very good wines (not 1sts or super seconds) are about the same price in real terms now as they were EP, especially once you factor in storage costs.

2010 is good value at the moment. Wheeler have a few good ones at around 20 quid.

For 2010 I was thinking of a half dozen Pontet Canet and a half dozen Lynch Bages. That kind of level. Super quality, long-lived, but not too £££ to drink. No doubt either my daughter will not like red wine, or my liver will have packed up. Storage would also be an issue. Must move to a house with a cellar..
  • elbowloh
    Just seen that a fish and chip van business has just started up in the area and comes to my road every Monday evening. Might have to give it a go next week.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • shirley_basso
    edited April 2021
    hopkinb said:

hopkinb said:

*not liquid ;)

For 2010 I was thinking of a half dozen Pontet Canet and a half dozen Lynch Bages. That kind of level. Super quality, long-lived, but not too £££ to drink. No doubt either my daughter will not like red wine, or my liver will have packed up. Storage would also be an issue. Must move to a house with a cellar..
    I've tried a couple lately and to be honest wasn't to my taste. A firm favourite at present is this. On the menu at the Gavroche for £60. Yours for £16, i think.

I don't actually know much about it myself - although I am getting there. The problem with wine tasting is by the time you've tasted them all, you're battered and can't remember what's what.

I have a case of 2016 Taylors LBV for my son (bottled 2018, so it counts). Unsure about daughter due this year. Probably something from the 2020 EP.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited April 2021
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYhMbg2xBTY

(you can tell he's a Yorkshireman, even if it's muted. He waits for his quid change.)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • pinno
    https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/milhau+lacugue+cuvee+magali+st+chinian+languedoc+roussillon+france/1/uk

I had pan fried Salmon, new potatoes and veg for dinner.
    (There's no impact lost in simplicity; look at me).

I am now scoffing a giant slab of marble cake drenched in double cream that I left soak for a while.

Call it pedalling in this relentless cold snap plus wind recovery nosh.
  • hopkinb

hopkinb said:

hopkinb said:

*not liquid ;)

I've tried a couple lately and to be honest wasn't to my taste. A firm favourite at present is this. On the menu at the Gavroche for £60. Yours for £16, i think.

I don't actually know much about it myself - although I am getting there. The problem with wine tasting is by the time you've tasted them all, you're battered and can't remember what's what.

I have a case of 2016 Taylors LBV for my son (bottled 2018, so it counts). Unsure about daughter due this year. Probably something from the 2020 EP.
    The ones I mentioned will be in a very awkward place now. I'm only now starting to drink the low end 2005's. I bought EP. Ch. Carbonnieux and Chasse Spleen. They were £150 a dozen.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Time to put this out there and I’m not being racists or anything but.....

I don’t care for pizza! Yes I’ve had “good” pizza and I can eat it at a push for a snack. A load of calorific bread for dinner? No thanks. 😕
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • elbowloh
    seanoconn said:

I don’t care for pizza! Yes I’ve had “good” pizza and I can eat it at a push for a snack. A load of calorific bread for dinner? No thanks. 😕

WTF is wrong with you? Weirdo.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • hopkinb
    elbowloh said:

seanoconn said:

There's not mushroom for people who don't care for certain foodstuffs on this forum...

I kind of get your point re pizza, and I'm only going on about it a lot because we have the new oven thing - I'm sure the novelty will wear off. It won't stop me loving it though.

I'm not having your "load of calorific carbs/bread" for dinner excuse - you said you had pie and mash the other night. :)
  • elbowloh
    hopkinb said:

elbowloh said:

seanoconn said:

There's not mushroom for people who don't care for certain foodstuffs on this forum...

I kind of get your point re pizza, and I'm only going on about it a lot because we have the new oven thing - I'm sure the novelty will wear off. It won't stop me loving it though.

I'm not having your "load of calorific carbs/bread" for dinner excuse - you said you had pie and mash the other night. :)
    Busted.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • seanoconn
    hopkinb said:

elbowloh said:

seanoconn said:

It’s different when I enjoy the calorie dense meal.
  • hopkinb
    seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

elbowloh said:

seanoconn said:

Fair point.

I wish I enjoyed meals that were less calorie dense...a nice bit of poached fish with some steamed spinach and kale. I'll eat it, I might even like it, but I'll be in the cheese box later on.

• seanoconn
    hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

elbowloh said:

seanoconn said:

Fair point.

I wish I enjoyed meals that were less calorie dense...a nice bit of poached fish with some steamed spinach and kale. I'll eat it, I might even like it, but I'll be in the cheese box later on.

This is my life most of the time although I usually add a poached or boiled egg to keep the hunger away and a little balsamic glaze for the salad. Lean meat, fish and veg during the week, treat yourself at the weekend. 👍
  • hopkinb
    seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

elbowloh said:

seanoconn said:

Fair point.

This is my life most of the time although I usually add a poached or boiled egg to keep the hunger away and a little balsamic glaze for the salad. Lean meat, fish and veg during the week, treat yourself at the weekend. 👍
    Ah, the egg is a good tip to keep me off the cheese/crisps/nuts.
  • seanoconn
    hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

elbowloh said:

seanoconn said:

Fair point.

Cheese board/crisps/nuts, yes please, get in my gob!

Are we over 40? Is it getting harder to shift the lbs? Do we want to stay fit and healthy for our family? No? Then pass the crisps please.
  • hopkinb
    seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

elbowloh said:

seanoconn said:

Fair point.

Cheese board/crisps/nuts, yes please, get in my gob!

Are we over 40? Is it getting harder to shift the lbs? Do we want to stay fit and healthy for our family? No? Then pass the crisps please.
    Mortality plays heavier on my mind. At least I've restarted exercising, but I need to eat less. I don't actually eat much, if any, crap processed food (except cured meats), no sweet tooth, and I eat plenty of fruit and veg. But I do eat a lot. What would do the most would be to just pack up drinking. I packed in smoking. Same mindset required.

Trouble is, it's always mañana.