TDF 2018, Stage 16: Carcassonne > Bagnères-de-Luchon 24/07/2018 - 218 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    It's a mountain pass in the pyrenees anyway!

Anyway it's a very similar stage to the one Ocana crashed on. His biography is worth reading, one of the better ones.

Ocana's crash must have been devastating as apparently he was always obsessed with beating Merckx and having finally done it he threw it away needlessly trying to match him on a dangerous descent. He had 7 minutes but was after humiliating Merckx by stuffing him (and I've checked this one!) on the Portillon.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    I know that this descent is where Froome supposedly laid to rest for good the suggestion that he is a poor bike handler but, at the risk of invoking the opprobrium of the forum, in my opinion, he showed balls of steel rather than good bike handling skills. Going fast downhill does not equate to being a good bike handler. If I was a confident descender,* I'd be looking to not allow Sky to dictate the pace of the descent as they too often get away with doing, and try to force a mistake. It's a longshot but probably the best hope of Roglic or Bardet to put Froome under pressure.
    I'm not convinced by Roglic's decending skills: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNRYgKyZBAI

"Siri: Show me a metaphor for Brexit..."
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    ITV4 highlights the other night had an analysis of mad descending skillz in the wind tunnel
    Apparently Froome's mad effort would have cost him time.
    Sagan's the most efficient.
    They missed a key point though, which was that they didn't factor in the amount of power the rider could generate in each position. A slightly less-aero position might still be better if it didn't compromise power output as much as the most aero position.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    RichN95 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    I know that this descent is where Froome supposedly laid to rest for good the suggestion that he is a poor bike handler but, at the risk of invoking the opprobrium of the forum, in my opinion, he showed balls of steel rather than good bike handling skills. Going fast downhill does not equate to being a good bike handler. If I was a confident descender,* I'd be looking to not allow Sky to dictate the pace of the descent as they too often get away with doing, and try to force a mistake. It's a longshot but probably the best hope of Roglic or Bardet to put Froome under pressure.
    I'm not convinced by Roglic's decending skills: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNRYgKyZBAI

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! :shock:

A random aside, the Triglav national park where that ski jump is situated is a simply stunning place to ride a bike.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    TGOTB wrote:
    ITV4 highlights the other night had an analysis of mad descending skillz in the wind tunnel
    They missed a key point though, which was that they didn't factor in the amount of power the rider could generate in each position. A slightly less-aero position might still be better if it didn't compromise power output as much as the most aero position.

Surely at those speeds it's irrelevant? No-one's riding around with a 60T big ring.
  • rick_chasey
    Unless anyone can tell me otherwise, from memory these climbs don’t ramp too much so could be ok for Dumolin & Thomas.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    TGOTB wrote:

Surely at those speeds it's irrelevant? No-one's riding around with a 60T big ring.
    Yup, exactly this. Except on that descent Froome was pedaling while on the top tube. Which has never really made any sense to me.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Also they missed the fact that subtle differences in the individual riders might make one position more aero than others for that individual rider. So for the model they had in the wind tunnel Froome’s position wasn’t perfect, but I’d be very surprised if Sky haven’t tried out some of that aero positioning in a wind tunnel themselves. They’ll certainly have done it for Froome in full on TT position, I’d be really surprised if they didn’t have data for non-TT bike descending too.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    DeadCalm wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

Yup, exactly this. Except on that descent Froome was pedaling while on the top tube. Which has never really made any sense to me.
    When they interviewed Brailsford about it, shortly after the event, he said they'd specifically set up the gearing with that descent in mind.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095

Ocana's crash must have been devastating as apparently he was always obsessed with beating Merckx and having finally done it he threw it away needlessly trying to match him on a dangerous descent. He had 7 minutes but was after humiliating Merckx by stuffing him (and I've checked this one!) on the Portillon.

You'd have to be a bit mad to go mano-mano with Merckx on a tricky descent given the Belgiums skills but Ocaña was always a hot-head prepared to go for another spin of the wheel.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    The bookies chainrings rating:

threerings.jpg
    tworings.jpg Yates, Majka, Alaphilippe, Barguil
    onering.jpg Froome, Roglic, Bardet, Nieve, Valverde, G, Dumoulin

Was a bit of an arbitrary distinction, I basically put everyone for whom you can find odds shorter than 10/1 as a 2 chainring and everyone between 10 and 20/1 as a 3 chainring...

This compares to the Inrng ratings:

threerings.jpg
    tworings.jpg Julian Alaphilippe, Omar Fraile
    onering.jpg Majka, Nieve, Barguil, Yates, Mollema

Pretty neat overlap given how wide open it is. Valverde has been a bit off the pace on the climbs, but if he can get down the Portillon with the front group I would have thought he was in with a shout as the last 1.5km is flat, and he's obviously a fast finisher.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Sadly, I predict that the roadside behaviour will degenerate even further with Froome getting pushed off his bike or hit again................
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • rick_chasey
    natrix wrote:
    Sadly, I predict that the roadside behaviour will degenerate even further with Froome getting pushed off his bike or hit again................

Pyrenees are usually much more sparsely populated with fans, especially now there's no basque team.

So shouldn't be too bad.

The Alp has always been the worst for this stuff.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    Just about to start.
    This stage is set up for a really hard and long battle to get into the breakaway, but I do wonder if the parcour is sufficiently back loaded: on paper it looks a bit lightweight.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • red.rider
    red.rider Posts: 1,188
    Peloton attacked with pepper spray, race neutralised
  • blazing_saddles
    edited July 2018
    Quite a number of the riders sprayed.
    Complete standstill for eye washing.

More arsehole behaviour. This time from the French farmers.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Blimey, looked like the offenders had tried to build a road block with straw bails, then riders sprayed with pepper spray, either from the protesters or the police?
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    WTF?
  • Bloody hell :(
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,529
    That's taking a protest a bit far.
  • PhilipPirrip
    PhilipPirrip Posts: 616
    Brailsford was right then
  • bigmitch41
    Pepper spray was from the police trying to subdue the protestors I think?
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • blazing_saddles
    Unfortunately, the culprit has been ID'd as the French police.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ITV show that it was a cop pepper spraying on of the farmers
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Looks like it might have been a gendarme using tear gas on protestors with unintended consequences.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,537
    Yeah I've read it's tear gas used by gendarme on protesters... wtf?
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    Race neutralised and all stopped few Kms after incident. Lots of riders being treated be doctors with plenty of water flushing out eyes. Looks like race will get going again soon
  • bigmitch41
    Restarting now
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    A couple of KM neutral start and we're back.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    The Police are like, "Don't stand so close to me".