TDF 2018, Stage 16: Carcassonne > Bagnères-de-Luchon 24/07/2018 - 218 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    Great bike handling to take the speed out of impact with little back wheel skid then front :shock:
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    BigMat wrote:
    Whilst I get the point of putting a man in the break, what happens to, say, Bardet if he punctures on one of the forthcoming climbs - presumably Naesen will get dropped fairly early, he'll then be left completely on his own. Same for Landa and Quintana, they must be down to a man each now?

Unless the race is really on, a puncture on a climb isn't that costly.

Yes, I guess they are banking on their men in the break being brought back before that stage. Still, puncture in the valley, Sky drill it on the front...

I get it more now that they are having to take risks, but surprised how oiften e.g. Movistar ssem to have wasted the likes of Soler in the breakaway. You'd think they might watch how Sky do it and try and replicate it.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    RichN95 wrote:
    Demare already 20 minutes behind

Don't worry, the time limit will be adjusted for him.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    RichN95 wrote:
    Demare already 20 minutes behind

But only half that to the peloton.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    It’s now at the point where teams are going have to chase van Avermaet to protect their top ten position
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    That was dreadful to watch, hope he's ok

How far from the point where Casartelli crashed? Horrible memories.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    RichN95 wrote:
    It’s now at the point where teams are going have to chase van Avermaet to protect their top ten position
    Most of the top 10 seem to be looking upwards rather than down this race which makes a nice change.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    BigMat wrote:
    You'd think they might watch how Sky do it and try and replicate it.

Honestly sky tactics are derived from the position of having a team that is stronger than more or less everyone else.

Copying them would just play into their hands.

I thought Movistar's effort on stage 11 was really top quality, save for the fact their legs couldn't do it. But if you want to go at Sky as a team, that's how you ought to do it.

Ultimately over 3 week, a lot of the stage by stage variation is averaged out, so you're gonna need the legs to win. No-one is gonna be tactically outsmarted multiple times over three weeks.

Tactics will only really play a big part if the legs are really similar. It's quite clear that in this race Dumolin, Thomas and Froome are head and shoulders above the rest. What separates Thomas from the others is not having an untimely puncture/crash.

Will see if that stays the same in week three.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    " You'd think they might watch how Sky do it and try and replicate it."

Is a question my wife asked and I was unable to answer really. I know Sky are criticised for making the racing boring, but you can't deny it's been pretty effective. So why don't the other teams take a similar, meticulous approach? Is it just down to money? Better nutrition / pillows / handwash?

Doh! Rick clearly types quicker than me. So is it down to money and being able to attract / retain the best riders?
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    keef66 wrote:
    " You'd think they might watch how Sky do it and try and replicate it."

Is a question my wife asked and I was unable to answer really. I know Sky are criticised for making the racing boring, but you can't deny it's been pretty effective. So why don't the other teams take a similar, meticulous approach? Is it just down to money? Better nutrition / pillows / handwash?

Doh! Rick clearly types quicker than me. So is it down to money and being able to attract / retain the best riders?
    It's all down to their expertise at avoiding controversy and focusing entirely on the racing.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Roglic is only behind Froome by less than the time lost in the TTT.
  • DeadCalm
    Finally, some brief shots of the peloton.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    BigMat wrote:
    It's quite clear that in this race Dumolin, Thomas and Froome are head and shoulders above the rest.

I would add Roglic - he looks ominous, albeit unproven at the sharp end over three weeks.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    The Mail are going to be conflicted on this stage between ‘EU backed French farmers in chemical attack on brave British cyclists’ and ‘Froome somehow manages to ride 200km despite being sprayed with biological agent. Questions need to be asked how he managed it’.
  • RichN95.
    He got dropped on Alpe d’Huez though and they let off the hook a bit by messing around.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Big inhaler spotted!!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • DeadCalm
    Are all these Movistar, Sunweb and ag2r guys up the front as a defensive measure?
  • Quality bit of rock climbing from Gilbert there. :lol:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154

But he also gained time when Froome crashed on Stage 1 so you can’t read that much into it.
  • essexian
    essexian Posts: 187
    Pross wrote:
    The Mail are going to be conflicted on this stage between............ ‘Froome somehow manages to ride 200km despite being sprayed with biological agent. Questions need to be asked how he managed it’.

That will the the Guardian and not the Mail IMHO.... the Guardian knock Froome every time that they can but refuse to open their comments for replies. Frankly, I have stopped reading the ride reports in the Guardian as they are so anti Froome/Sky.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,702
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Are all these Movistar, Sunweb and ag2r guys up the front as a defensive measure?

Latour looks like he's hunting the stage, Movistar the team competition.

Doubtful they are up there as part of any cunning plan for an attack from behind.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • hanshotfirst
    hanshotfirst Posts: 397
    adr82 wrote:

He's a lucky, lucky boy!
  • hanshotfirst
    hanshotfirst Posts: 397
    RichN95 wrote:

That's because Van Avermaet is a mad, handsome sh4gger of a boy!
  • RichN95.
    DeadCalm wrote:

Doubtful they are up there as part of any cunning plan for an attack from behind.
    Latour for the white jersey surely - Martin was also in the break. Also up to virtual 9th on GC at the moment
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm wrote:

Looks that way. Disappointing. Finally some coverage of the GC group descending. No attempt to pressure Sky.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    RichN95 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

Latour for the white jersey surely - Martin was also in the break. Also up to virtual 9th on GC at the moment

The inrng wrote an excellent piece, as per, about the team competition.

Hence why teams throw riders up the road without any sort of plan other than to stay up front and finish so far up the road.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Boulting getting all misty eyed about Alaphillipe is almost as extreme as Kirby talking about Si Clarke, Eddy Boss, Nibali's descending or any riders TT skills
  • DeadCalm
    RichN95 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

They chased onto the break together I believe. Given the disparity in their time trialling abilities and the fact Bernal is 12 minutes back, I'd say Latour is looking good for white.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Throughout his "rise", Ned Boulting gets more and more annoying. And the less said about Millar's nonchalance the better.

Them or Carlton.

11l49s.jpg