TDF 2018, Stage 12: Bourg-Saint-Maurice Les Arcs > Alpe d'Huez 19/07/2018 - 175,5 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• t5nel
    t5nel Posts: 365
    Can G really keep this intensity for the rest of the GT?
    My bikes
    MTB - 1997 Kona Kula
    Hybrid - Kona Dew Deluxe
    Road - 2011 Ribble Gran Fondo, Omega Matrix Ultegra
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    GT win greeted by mooing cows!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    Dumoulin is looking a massive threat though, certainly seems to have the legs on Froome at the moment.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    EPIC

just hopes he's not doing a Yates (simon)
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    WOW
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    Bernal taking time for the white jersey
  • bflk
    bflk Posts: 240
    Great win for Thomas and gripping finish!
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    That was awesome.
    Froomey didn't look his normal self, but then I suppose he doesn't need to smash it yet
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Brilliant to see Geraint do that today after taking yellow, a genuinely likeable bloke
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    what a weird finish...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    Why do all these wankers make the slog up the Alpe, just to boo the winner?

Because the French champion isn't even winning a stage let alone the yellow jersey.

Who'd have ever predicted back to back MTF wins for Thomas though - superb :D
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    t5nel wrote:
    That's my worry
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Genius line from Thomas on the last corner, won himself 5 or 10 metres for nothing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Gweeds wrote:
    Now he has to be the designated leader surely.

They're not going to tell Froome to drag Thomas to Paris.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Unlike yesterday, Sky worked the 1-2 pretty effectively there, with Thomas just sitting on Dumoulin's wheel. Was quite funny watching Tommy D frantically trying to shake him off.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Froome looking a bit weak at times. Epic from TD and dof cap to Bardet.

Will G do a Yates though?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    t5nel wrote:
    That's my worry

G owes Dumoulin a pint or two after that. Also Bernal (the future of GC racing). He seems to have developed a knack of knowing exactly which wheel to follow, when to attack. Don't think he's burning himself out in the way S Yates did.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    the giro tour double is a major ask... everyone knew Froome was going to jump... but you could see yesterday he wasn't quite sharp enough to pull it off which left G to counter again.

Bardet needs a team

nibali was unlucky not to be there at the finish....lots of post-race chat about french blocking tactics with the police bikes.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Milton50 wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

froome owes him
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    Milton50 wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

In the past G has blown up in the 3rd week, if he does this year Froome is the there.
    If he doesn't he will win it.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    the giro tour double is a major ask... everyone knew Froome was going to jump... but you could see yesterday he wasn't quite sharp enough to pull it off which left G to counter again.

Bardet needs a team

nibali was unlucky not to be there at the finish....lots of post-race chat about french blocking tactics with the police bikes.

You mean the two outriders preventing anyone from coming up to Bardet? Obvious tactic is obvious...
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    G interview on Sporza says Froome is the best ever, he's still riding for Froome. Also said he was speechless - about 8 times!
    A very modest interview - he seemed genuinely overwhelmed to have won
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Milton50 wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

And they'd be mental to waste that minute plus gap Thomas already has.
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,537
    For me Dumoulin has always been the next pretender to Froome. He has it all like Froome. I think that G has looked as good as he ever has. If he can stay upright and not have a bad day he may yet take yellow.
    Everyone else is just making up numbers so to speak. I would say Nibbles looked good and that finish proves he's there or thereabouts. But his star I said waning.
    Decent stage.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Milton50 wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

froome owes him

He does, yes. But as long as he's within 2 minutes Froome isn't going to serenely give up the chance of a 5th Tour and 4 GTs in a row. He's not that kind of person. Then again I may have completely misread him.
  • mididoctors

Bardet needs a team

You mean the two outriders preventing anyone from coming up to Bardet? Obvious tactic is obvious...

yeah :lol: but to be fair they were there to protect the leaders through the crowd...i think it was a bit accidental.
  • t5nel
    t5nel Posts: 365
    Given what we saw in the Giro, would be unwise to write off Froome already.

I do hope Sky don't *make* either rider fall on their sword though...
    My bikes
    MTB - 1997 Kona Kula
    Hybrid - Kona Dew Deluxe
    Road - 2011 Ribble Gran Fondo, Omega Matrix Ultegra
  • mididoctors
    Milton50 wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

froome owes him

He does, yes. But as long as he's within 2 minutes Froome isn't going to serenely give up the chance of a 5th Tour and 4 GTs in a row. He's not that kind of person. Then again I may have completely misread him.

yeah i think your right...

but he still owes him :)
  • mididoctors
    i reckon G could have gone all in a km or two out and put in some decent time
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    DietQTzW4AAiH7A.jpg:large