Frame bag rubbing legs?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've never locked my bike up at a cafe or shop on a Sunday ride. Don't take a lock with me.

Why would you leave a bike unattended for up to two hours ? What are you doing ?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I'm not sure which trains YOU'VE been on? When was the last time you went on a train? 1956? Buffet cars only exist on a few intercity services, and trolleys have gone the way of the dodo. My local TOC has not had any trolley services for four years. A lot of stations don't have a shop ime either. In any case by the time I've got back to the station it's a bit late. IME if I need to raid a shop for a drink at the end of a ride it means that I've run out way before then and am parched.

Arriva Trains Wales - most of the services have 'at seat catering' - which is a glorified name for a buffet trolley. I know buffet cars are mainly long-haul, which is why I only included it as one of the options. Doesn't alter the fact that they do exist though.

You seem to revel in being both ignorant and indignant, so I'll leave you to it.
  • imposter2.0
    cougie wrote:
    Why would you leave a bike unattended for up to two hours ? What are you doing ?

Looking for water, most likely...
  • Chimera2018
    Chimera2018 Posts: 106
    Angry Bird wrote:
    Angry Bird wrote:
    I suggest the OP drinks his own urine as it seems it's impossible for him to either carry enough water or find any anywhere. If he can't produce enough I'm sure he could ask a stranger to wee-wee into a bottle for him.

Failing that, take several bottles and one of these for moments when the bottles need to be removed from the bike.

Bv5Cjk5IAAA9fvM.jpg

Maybe try reading what's actually been typed, rather than making up stuff that hasn't been said?
    Fenix wrote:
    You could slap some tri bars on the top and mount another bottle between them.
    You can get two bottle holders that fit to your seatpost as well. So that would get you 5 x 750ml bottles.

That's a LOT of water.

I can't imagine any ride that wouldn't go past a churchyard/cemetery at some point. You probably just haven't been looking for them.

It's still a bunch of bottles that I've got nowhere to put when I want to leave the bike, and that will heat up in the sun. A water bladder is much more convenient. And handlebar space is already taken up with a handlebar bag, with all the stuff i I need to take with me, bar the bladder, plus my route information.

Well, you said if you take multiple bottles somewhere you've got nowhere to put them. I suggested a reasonable alternative to that. Only trying to be helpful, no need to get all upset.

You claimed that I said that is "impossible for (me) to either carry enough water or find any anywhere.". I said no such thing.
  • Chimera2018
    Angry Bird wrote:
    I mean, hell, why bother locking our bikes up at all? According to everyone here we live in a crime free environment. :roll:

I never lock my bikes up. Haven't touched my D-lock for years. Genuinely.

Riiiiiight.
  • Chimera2018
    cougie wrote:
    I've never locked my bike up at a cafe or shop on a Sunday ride. Don't take a lock with me.

I already told you what I'm doing, visiting an attraction!
  • Chimera2018
    Imposter wrote:
    I'm not sure which trains YOU'VE been on? When was the last time you went on a train? 1956? Buffet cars only exist on a few intercity services, and trolleys have gone the way of the dodo. My local TOC has not had any trolley services for four years. A lot of stations don't have a shop ime either. In any case by the time I've got back to the station it's a bit late. IME if I need to raid a shop for a drink at the end of a ride it means that I've run out way before then and am parched.

Arriva Trains Wales - most of the services have 'at seat catering' - which is a glorified name for a buffet trolley. I know buffet cars are mainly long-haul, which is why I only included it as one of the options. Doesn't alter the fact that they do exist though.

You seem to revel in being both ignorant and indignant, so I'll leave you to it.

It seems to be you are the bloody ignorant one. Southeasten, no trolley. Southern, no trolley. Chiltern, no trolley. What f'ing use is Arriva Trains Wales when I live in Kent???
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    This is childish now, so I'm off, you're clearly beyond help.

As an FYI, genuinely I haven't locked my bike up in years, maybe you should move to a nicer area if crime is such a high concern for you.
  • imposter2.0

It seems to be you are the bloody ignorant one. Southeasten, no trolley. Southern, no trolley. Chiltern, no trolley. What f'ing use is Arriva Trains Wales when I live in Kent???

Not my fault you live kent, you troll. In fact, I think this is the first time you've mentioned it.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Chimera, you are brilliant at the skill of being unable to find water. Never mind dying of dehydration in the Sahara after a spectacular plane crash, you'd manage that on a bike ride in England in June.
  • Chimera2018
    Angry Bird wrote:
    This is childish now, so I'm off, you're clearly beyond help.

As an FYI, genuinely I haven't locked my bike up in years, maybe you should move to a nicer area if crime is such a high concern for you.

Oh stop fucking lying. You're the bloody childish one here.
  • Chimera2018
    Imposter wrote:

Not my fault you live kent, you troll. In fact, I think this is the first time you've mentioned it.

Yes I fucking did!!! I stated several posts ago that I was in SE England. You people can't even be arsed to read what's been written before carrying on with your trolling.
  • Chimera2018
    All I wanted was some fucking help with what I thought was a simple fucking question. Little did I know that I was to be subjected to a barrage of attacks from the forum bullies. If you can't answer the question just fuck off. I'm tired of your bullshit.
  • bungle73
    bungle73 Posts: 758
    It's not me who gets the "treatment" then. It's a wonder that anyone comes here........
  • Chimera2018
    So far, apart from what probably amounts to about two or three helpful replies, I've been told that no one needs to lock their bike up...or lock anything up at all really.....because, apparently, there is no crime. I've also been told that it is impossible for anyone in the UK to become thirsty, and that there are water fountains and shops selling 10 litre bottles of water on every street corner, even out in the middle of nowhere.

Stop wasting my time.
  • imposter2.0
    Bungle73 wrote:
    It's not me who gets the "treatment" then. It's a wonder that anyone comes here........

Well, you do..
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Chimera I'd think 99% of us just use bikes to cycle. We don't lock them as we go to safe cafes or shops. We don't usually stop to look round castles or whatever.

We aren't lying about not locking them up.

And you've had plenty of helpful comments. I would definitely get yourself checked out medically.
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 711
    Interested to see if this thread arrives at a solution...
  • Chimera2018
    cougie wrote:
    Chimera I'd think 99% of us just use bikes to cycle. We don't lock them as we go to safe cafes or shops. We don't usually stop to look round castles or whatever.

We aren't lying about not locking them up.

And you've had plenty of helpful comments. I would definitely get yourself checked out medically.

And there was I thinking that this was the "Tour & Expedition" forum............

If anyone needs to be "checked" it''s you people.
  • Chimera2018
    diplodicus wrote:
    Interested to see if this thread arrives at a solution...

The solution is this.........I leave behind this asinine bullying and find another forum where they actually want to answer questions. I'm out.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    Bungle73 wrote:
    I know, I hardly visit this site. It's terrible.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    You appear to drink a similar amount as my sister who is an ex runner and occasional cyclist. She recently completed a 100k bike ride drinking similar amounts to what you describe.
    Following the ride she started to feel unwell and ended up at A&E where after numerous test they found she drunk so much she had seriously depleted her sodium levels. They advised her to drink no more than a litre and half of fluid a day for 2 weeks.
    You might want to check how much you are drinking.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    The insulated Camelbak Podium bottles are pretty good for touring in hot weather - can put ice in them before you set off and they stay cool.

When I go bike touring (50-100 miles a day, 3-9 days) I only tale 2x 1l bottles. Then I just buy a 2.5l bottle from a shop or what have you and refill my bottles. Then in the evening I buy another and bunjee it to my pannier so I have water for cooking etc as well. I do also carry sterilisation tablets but have rarely needed them, as in the UK I have never struggled to get more water (even the last tour I did which was in the outer Hebrides and highlands, which is quite a lot less populated than Kent...)
  • Chimera2018
    Webboo wrote:
    You appear to drink a similar amount as my sister who is an ex runner and occasional cyclist. She recently completed a 100k bike ride drinking similar amounts to what you describe.
    Following the ride she started to feel unwell and ended up at A&E where after numerous test they found she drunk so much she had seriously depleted her sodium levels. They advised her to drink no more than a litre and half of fluid a day for 2 weeks.
    You might want to check how much you are drinking.

Now we're getting fairy stories. Do you think I'm stupid? The recommended fluid intake is at least 500 ml per hour, so there is no bloody way that 3 litre is "too much" for a whole day out And the recommended amount just for living is 1.5-2 litres a day. So there is absolutely no way your "sister" ended up "in hospital "through drinking such a small amount over what would have been quite a few hours.
  • Chimera2018
    Hyponatremia requires drinking at least one and a half litres an hour, so how the hell can it happen by drinking 3 litres over an entire day??
  • Chimera2018
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    The insulated Camelbak Podium bottles are pretty good for touring in hot weather - can put ice in them before you set off and they stay cool.

When I go bike touring (50-100 miles a day, 3-9 days) I only tale 2x 1l bottles. Then I just buy a 2.5l bottle from a shop or what have you and refill my bottles. Then in the evening I buy another and bunjee it to my pannier so I have water for cooking etc as well. I do also carry sterilisation tablets but have rarely needed them, as in the UK I have never struggled to get more water (even the last tour I did which was in the outer Hebrides and highlands, which is quite a lot less populated than Kent...)

It still leaves me of the problem of where to put them when I leave the bike, and I'm not that keen on the vest posted earlier tbh.

I think it would easiest to just use the Camalbak rucksack.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    It would appear other than going off at the deep end you have a talent for not reading what people post. SHE WAS DRINKING AMOUNTS YOU DESCRIBE. That’s why her sodium levels were depleted and she had to reduce her intake for the next 2 weeks.
    Today I rode for over 4 and half hours took 2 500 ml bottles with me and still had some left in one. However I think it would have been possible to stop at least 15 different places to refuel.
  • Chimera2018
    I have got a 2 litre bladder which I think fits better, but I haven't tried riding with it yet, and I'm don't think it would be enough based on experience. I was thinking I could adjunct it with a single other bottle, and I could use that first, before moving onto the bladder, but it won't fit into the bottle cage with the bag installed.
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 711
    Would it not be possible to stiffen the sides of the frame bag somehow. Maybe sew some strips or rods of stiff plastic/carbon/aluminium into the sides
  • Chimera2018
    Webboo wrote:
    It would appear other than going off at the deep end you have a talent for not reading what people post. SHE WAS DRINKING AMOUNTS YOU DESCRIBE. That’s why her sodium levels were depleted and she had to reduce her intake for the next 2 weeks.
    Today I rode for over 4 and half hours took 2 500 ml bottles with me and still had some left in one. However I think it would have been possible to stop at least 15 different places to refuel.
    The amount I described was a 3 litres of water for an entire day...............

Why do people keep insisting on telling me how much I need to drink, and that I'm drinking "too much"? Er no I'm not. I KNOW how much I need, I've had enough experience of it. I know when I've run out because I didn't take enough.