Frame bag rubbing legs?

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    You could slap some tri bars on the top and mount another bottle between them.
    You can get two bottle holders that fit to your seatpost as well. So that would get you 5 x 750ml bottles.

That's a LOT of water.

I can't imagine any ride that wouldn't go past a churchyard/cemetery at some point. You probably just haven't been looking for them.
  • Chimera2018
    Chimera2018 Posts: 106
    Fenix wrote:
    You can get two bottle holders that fit to your seatpost as well. So that would get you 5 x 750ml bottles.

That's a LOT of water.

I can't imagine any ride that wouldn't go past a churchyard/cemetery at some point. You probably just haven't been looking for them.

It's still a bunch of bottles that I've got nowhere to put when I want to leave the bike, and that will heat up in the sun. A water bladder is much more convenient. And handlebar space is already taken up with a handlebar bag, with all the stuff i I need to take with me, bar the bladder, plus my route information.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    And I've been burnt before, where I've run out of water, been desperate for a drink on a hot day, and all the shops I've come across have been closed. Never again.

That was called Wales on a Sunday 1968.
  • I need a way to carry a ton of water with me for my day tours. From what I've heard a water bladder in a frame bag is supposed to be the bee's knees. However, I bought a frame bag, put an old Camalbak 3 litre bladder into it, and went out just now to try it out. From the off I could feel and hear it rubbing against my legs as I pedal. Obviously this is no good, as I might be able to put up with it for a few miles, but if I'm on a 30-40 mile day tour it would probably grow to be very annoying very quickly. Is there anything I can do about it? Maybe frame bags are not for me, and I'll just have to resort to using the small Camalbak rucksack I actually bought first for this purpose.

Put your seatpost down an inch and ride with your knees pointing outwards
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Don't see why the camelback wouldn't warm up ?
    So on the one hand you cycle in places with no access to water but yet as soon as you stop they Will flock to your bike and steal the water bottles ? I suppose that's understandable given that they must be on the edge of death by thirst....

There is an app. Refill Beta. It's a network of >1600 places in the UK that will refill bottles for you. It's a kickback against the sea of plastic so might be worth a look.
  • cougie
    I've never had a bottle stolen off my bike. I did blag one as a souvenir from. Tdf rider once.
  • Chimera2018
    Are you naive? Anything not bolted down is likely to get nicked, especially something easily removable like a water bottle. I would never, ever deliberately leave anything on a locked up bike that could easily be taken off. It would be very foolish.

And the camalbak doesn't heat up because it's not exposed to the sun like bottles are.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    An unlikely contender for 'thread of the year'...
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    OP, where the hell are you riding? I’ve not seen such stubbornness to accept that water is available and that a few hours around the uk is not the Sahara or scene from mad max, the original not some overrated reboot, but that’s for another thread,
  • cougie
    Jeezuz Christ man. 35 sodding years I've been cycling. Every weekend involves a coffee stop. Nobody's nicked a bloody water bottle off the Bike.

Granted that's in the refined lush green hills of the North West - but if the deserts of the south east are so lawless then I think having a bottle nicked is the least of your worries.

And do you have some kind of parasol on the bike to shield your camelback ???
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    The OP brings to mind a saying my old Grandad once told me:-
    “Never argue with an idiot.They’ll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience” :)
  • bungle73
    bungle73 Posts: 758
    Don't you people ever get tired of being dicks? Maybe if you put as much effort into actually helping people as you do into tearing strips off anyone who comes here for help maybe you could get a lot more problems solved. This is the most newbie unfriendly forum I have ever had the displeasure to encounter by far.
  • imposter2.0
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Don't you people ever get tired of being dicks? Maybe if you put as much effort into actually helping people as you do into tearing strips off anyone who comes here for help maybe you could get a lot more problems solved. This is the most newbie unfriendly forum I have ever had the displeasure to encounter by far.

Feel free to suggest a solution to this guy's problem, Bungle. Lead by example...
  • cougie
    If anyone can solve it Bungle is the man !
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    SE England. And for the record I try to avoid buying water unless I absolutely have to. One, it's mega expensive, and two there is the waste problem that has been brought to light recently. When I'm going to be away from home for ~13 hours I need a lot of water.

hold on - you say above that you are out of the house for 13 hours but you're only doing 30 miles (posts passim).

are you riding your bike or just pushing it?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Any pubs and inns and hotels in the SE? I'm very the NW England and have very little experience of the SE of England. Reason for asking I think there is actually a law that a certain class of pub/inn/hotel has a requirement to provide tap water if requested. There's a lot of pubs round my neck of the woods and they seem to open for long hours during the day too.

However this doesn't help the OP with his exact request for information. That is how can I carry a 3 litre water bladder on my bike? One point I'd suggest is more smaller bladders. Two 1.5 litres of three single litre bladders or flexible bottles. Splitting into n Smaller bladders often really in less bulging.

A second thought is your frame bag is the issue. If it's a big frame bag without divider the middle will bulge out. You could put a divider in either vertically or horizontally to fix the width of the bag. This would work with smaller bladder size. A company with the website bike-bags.co.uk makes custom frame bags. You might get a bag from them that might not rub your legs.

Third option is to look at source bladders. IIRC they do one with a centre that's joined so that it prevents it bulging out. It is intended to be used in rucksacks such that it doesn't create a rounded back panel when the full bladder is put in the bladder sleeve. It might reduce bulging if the frame bag.

These are just a few potential ideas and they might not work. They are ideas that help your view of the hydration system. Others have their view that it isn't quite the problem you think it is. I don't want to comment on that debate because it's become entrenched. I hope my post helps you. To the others please don't make any assumptions as to what side of the argument I stand. I have my views but they don't help by expressing them.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Bungle73 wrote:
    I take it you haven’t actually read the full thread?

Anyway.
    Chimera:-Has many meanings across the globe here’s a couple:-
    A mythological creature(sometimes two headed) in Ancient Greek Mythology.
    A grotesque figure in the mind.
    Both could be likened to a Troll?
    As I said in a previous post I think he’s Trolling.....on the other hand....he might just like Mission Impossible 2 :lol:
  • Chimera2018
    SE England. And for the record I try to avoid buying water unless I absolutely have to. One, it's mega expensive, and two there is the waste problem that has been brought to light recently. When I'm going to be away from home for ~13 hours I need a lot of water.

hold on - you say above that you are out of the house for 13 hours but you're only doing 30 miles (posts passim).

are you riding your bike or just pushing it?
    I also said I've be taking the train.............
  • Chimera2018
    Any pubs and inns and hotels in the SE? I'm very the NW England and have very little experience of the SE of England. Reason for asking I think there is actually a law that a certain class of pub/inn/hotel has a requirement to provide tap water if requested. There's a lot of pubs round my neck of the woods and they seem to open for long hours during the day too.

However this doesn't help the OP with his exact request for information. That is how can I carry a 3 litre water bladder on my bike? One point I'd suggest is more smaller bladders. Two 1.5 litres of three single litre bladders or flexible bottles. Splitting into n Smaller bladders often really in less bulging.

A second thought is your frame bag is the issue. If it's a big frame bag without divider the middle will bulge out. You could put a divider in either vertically or horizontally to fix the width of the bag. This would work with smaller bladder size. A company with the website bike-bags.co.uk makes custom frame bags. You might get a bag from them that might not rub your legs.

Third option is to look at source bladders. IIRC they do one with a centre that's joined so that it prevents it bulging out. It is intended to be used in rucksacks such that it doesn't create a rounded back panel when the full bladder is put in the bladder sleeve. It might reduce bulging if the frame bag.

These are just a few potential ideas and they might not work. They are ideas that help your view of the hydration system. Others have their view that it isn't quite the problem you think it is. I don't want to comment on that debate because it's become entrenched. I hope my post helps you. To the others please don't make any assumptions as to what side of the argument I stand. I have my views but they don't help by expressing them.

Won't using multiple bladders take up more space than one bladder of the same capacity? And I didn't have much choice of frame bags. The one I have is the only one available with a shoulder strap, because (as I said) I need to be able to leave the bike and take everything removable with me. It doesn't have any dividers or anything like that. I'll look at those other bladders. Thanks.
  • imposter2.0

Trains usually have water on them.
  • Chimera2018
    Imposter wrote:

Er no they don’t.....................
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:

Not sure what trains you've been on, but they definitely do. All the trains I've ever been on in recent years have had either a buffet car, or mobile trolley service. And then of course there's the stations themselves - usually with either a shop or a water fountain.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I suggest the OP drinks his own urine as it seems it's impossible for him to either carry enough water or find any anywhere. If he can't produce enough I'm sure he could ask a stranger to piss into a bottle for him.

Failing that, take several bottles and one of these for moments when the bottles need to be removed from the bike.

Bv5Cjk5IAAA9fvM.jpg
  • angry_bird
    Water bottle thievery is a plague that is blighting this nation. Just last week I couldn't find my bottles after a cafe stop, turns out they were in the cafe where I left them after having them refilled with water, but for a moment there I was convinced someone had nicked them, it's apparently quite common.
  • Chimera2018
    Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Not sure what trains you've been on, but they definitely do. All the trains I've ever been on in recent years have had either a buffet car, or mobile trolley service. And then of course there's the stations themselves - usually with either a shop or a water fountain.

I'm not sure which trains YOU'VE been on? When was the last time you went on a train? 1956? Buffet cars only exist on a few intercity services, and trolleys have gone the way of the dodo. My local TOC has not had any trolley services for four years. A lot of stations don't have a shop ime either. In any case by the time I've got back to the station it's a bit late. IME if I need to raid a shop for a drink at the end of a ride it means that I've run out way before then and am parched.
  • Chimera2018
    Angry Bird wrote:
    I suggest the OP drinks his own urine as it seems it's impossible for him to either carry enough water or find any anywhere. If he can't produce enough I'm sure he could ask a stranger to wee-wee into a bottle for him.

Failing that, take several bottles and one of these for moments when the bottles need to be removed from the bike.

Bv5Cjk5IAAA9fvM.jpg

Maybe try reading what's actually been typed, rather than making up stuff that hasn't been said?
  • Chimera2018
    Angry Bird wrote:
    Water bottle thievery is a plague that is blighting this nation. Just last week I couldn't find my bottles after a cafe stop, turns out they were in the cafe where I left them after having them refilled with water, but for a moment there I was convinced someone had nicked them, it's apparently quite common.

So. Someone can leave easily removable items on a locked up bike unattended for an hour or two and there is zero chance of them being touched? That's what you're saying is it? Don't talk rubbish. Are you really that naive??
  • Chimera2018
    I mean, hell, why bother locking our bikes up at all? According to everyone here we live in a crime free environment. :roll:
  • angry_bird
    edited June 2018
    Angry Bird wrote:
    I suggest the OP drinks his own urine as it seems it's impossible for him to either carry enough water or find any anywhere. If he can't produce enough I'm sure he could ask a stranger to wee-wee into a bottle for him.

Bv5Cjk5IAAA9fvM.jpg

Maybe try reading what's actually been typed, rather than making up stuff that hasn't been said?
    Fenix wrote:

That's a LOT of water.

It's still a bunch of bottles that I've got nowhere to put when I want to leave the bike, and that will heat up in the sun. A water bladder is much more convenient. And handlebar space is already taken up with a handlebar bag, with all the stuff i I need to take with me, bar the bladder, plus my route information.

Well, you said if you take multiple bottles somewhere you've got nowhere to put them. I suggested a reasonable alternative to that. Only trying to be helpful, no need to get all upset.
  • angry_bird
    I mean, hell, why bother locking our bikes up at all? According to everyone here we live in a crime free environment. :roll:

I never lock my bikes up. Haven't touched my D-lock for years. Genuinely.