Giro 2018, Stage 19: Turin - Monte Jafferau - 184 kilometres. *Spoilers*

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Great stage. Great spoiler thread too. Well done everyone.

DNF Louis Vervaeke (Bel) Team Sunweb
    DNF Mikael Cherel (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
    DNF Mirco Maestri (Ita) Bardiani CSF
    DNF William Bonnet (Fra) Groupama-FDJ
    DNF Ben O'Connor (Aus) Dimension Data
    DNF Vasil Kiryienka (Blr) Team Sky
    DNF Fabio Aru (Ita) UAE Team Emirates
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    As I said at the time, he's really put some effort into that. He deserves some credit. Certainly better than the p1ss poor dinosaur.

I agree, I actually like people doing things like that, it's proper humour and doing it well.

Some copycat of the boar man a few weeks ago I'd rather see trip up and smash his face in, the original boar man was only good cos it was just a plain weird thing to do.
    The two good things about boar man were:

1. He never got close to Quintana
    2. He looked exactly like Silvio Berlusconi

3. Silvio Berlusconi in tight hot pants.
    4. The boar had lost a leg and Silvio Berlusconi boar man was waving it manically around his head like a leg of Parma ham.

The fact that you will be able to say the words "boar man" to me in 2050 and I'll know exactly what it refers to and still laugh is just wonderful.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Another Kirby classic was when there was a close up of a drivetrain with the chain bouncing on the unpaved section. Kirby came out with in his opinion it was made worse by Osemetric chainrings despite the fact it wasn’t Froome (Ellisonde I think) and the round chainring was clearly in shot!
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • above_the_cows
    Oh and boar man wasn't wearing any shoes. The soles of his feet must be like leather.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Coach H wrote:

No doubt he will make a full apology in the morning

and here it is

"Disclaimer to avoid any misinterpretation: this is not an insinuation, but a way to express the admiration for an exceptional achievement. Congratulations to Chris Froome and Team Sky."

https://twitter.com/LottoJumbo_road/status/1000133284301623297
  • above_the_cows
    Coach H wrote:
    Another Kirby classic was when there was a close up of a drivetrain with the chain bouncing on the unpaved section. Kirby came out with in his opinion it was made worse by Osemetric chainrings despite the fact it wasn’t Froome (Ellisonde I think) and the round chainring was clearly in shot!

Yes that annoyed me at the time, but it's Carlton so we'll let it go.

Hatch kept calling the descent down from Cesana to Oulx the Susa valley. It isn't, that was really annoying me.
  • Coach H wrote:

and here it is

"Disclaimer to avoid any misinterpretation: this is not an insinuation, but a way to express the admiration for an exceptional achievement. Congratulations to Chris Froome and Team Sky."

Think it’s clear it was a heat of the moment reaction, and I took it more like Landis the crazy suicide breakaway rather than Landis the testosterone fuelled lunatic
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    So many heart wringing stories this morning on Twitter from people who feel betrayed by Chris Froome. It's a really rather bizarre situation, I can't say I get it at all.
    What Froome did yesterday was spectacular for sure, epic in its scope, but he wouldn't have got 500m against any decent climber in form.
    In reality all he did right was to peak when everyone else was waning, and bravo to him & Sky for doing just that.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    ...against a chase whose heads dropped almost immediately...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    The pure cycling simplicty of what Sky and Froome did yesterday seems to have eluded all those that think it was literally unbelievable. He didn't just attack on Finestre, he didn't drop the peloton and stay away, they shredded the peloton right from the start. First they pushed Poels towards the break, forcing Once Were Orica to chase from the get-go. Then they absolutely hammered it up the start of Finestre, breaking Yates completely, dropping Pozzovivo and getting rid of almost all the domestiques. Ellissondo in particular mas magnificent in that last pull.

That left Froome attacking a knackered TTer who can climb a bit, a knackered climber who can sometimes TT (and whose form has been dubious so far) and a few others that had no reason to do anything other than sit in.

Froome didn't do 80km against the peloton, he did 80km against three riders, one of whom can't descend but had to be waited for, as his teammate had to keep something back against a guy sitting in who could hurt him at the end. That 80km is in no way unrealistic, particularly if you factor in that Dumoulin tends to ride conservatively, wary of going too deep too soon. It was on terrain that favoured Froome over Dumoulin as well. But it all came from the team effort and stage strategy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    Coach H wrote:

and here it is

All this sh!t does is make him less likely to say what he actually thinks.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Coach H wrote:

and here it is

All this sh!t does is make him less likely to say what he actually thinks.

I think we forget that while we've watched in detail how something went down, the riders who weren't at the sharp end of it only get info about time gaps, while they're suffering. I don't see him as having any real insight into the stage, not nearly as much as we've gathered here. I mean, he's warming down and doesn't even know the result?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    He's just another young kiwi with a big gob.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    The pure cycling simplicty of what Sky and Froome did yesterday seems to have eluded all those that think it was literally unbelievable. He didn't just attack on Finestre, he didn't drop the peloton and stay away, they shredded the peloton right from the start. First they pushed Poels towards the break, forcing Once Were Orica to chase from the get-go. Then they absolutely hammered it up the start of Finestre, breaking Yates completely, dropping Pozzovivo and getting rid of almost all the domestiques. Ellissondo in particular mas magnificent in that last pull.

That left Froome attacking a knackered TTer who can climb a bit, a knackered climber who can sometimes TT (and whose form has been dubious so far) and a few others that had no reason to do anything other than sit in.

Froome didn't do 80km against the peloton, he did 80km against three riders, one of whom can't descend but had to be waited for, as his teammate had to keep something back against a guy sitting in who could hurt him at the end. That 80km is in no way unrealistic, particularly if you factor in that Dumoulin tends to ride conservatively, wary of going too deep too soon. It was on terrain that favoured Froome over Dumoulin as well. But it all came from the team effort and stage strategy.

Exactly. I bet not even anybody in the Sky camp can believe that the whole thing actually came off, that the right people cracked when they needed to, and that the chase group would consist of mostly people who had no reason to chase. That’s not to take anything from Sky and Froome, as the whole thing was absolutely spectacular, but to make an attack from that distance stick you need a bit of luck behind you.
  • andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 406
    So many heart wringing stories this morning on Twitter from people who feel betrayed by Chris Froome. It's a really rather bizarre situation, I can't say I get it at all.
    What Froome did yesterday was spectacular for sure, epic in its scope, but he wouldn't have got 500m against any decent climber in form.

Plus Dumoulin could definitely have climbed the Finestre quicker, but was keeping within himself and trying to keep the group together- telling Pinot to relax after he broke a spoke and then sitting up for Reichenbach (rightly @ the time, looks like a huge mistake in hindsight). Like others have said, he ended up in a group with 2 guys who can't descend and 2.5 passengers (Pinot did help a bit).

Pinot really panicked though a couple times- sprinting back up to the Dumoulin group before the Cima Coppi, then nearly losing the back end & stacking it into Lopez going over the top. Wonder how much energy he wasted having a bash at Lopez & Carapaz for sitting on when they were never going to work whilst Reichenbach was in the group- he had to close gaps a few times after handbags. Then they get to the Jafferau and Reichenbach does his final turn and breaks the group instead of a steady pull.

Then you look at Pozzovivo- think Brian Smith said before the stage that he is known as a follower and that he was going to have to step up. He rolled to the front of the group and started drinking on the front!!! No wonder Bennett was getting annoyed with him.

Whether you like Froome or not, believe in him or not, all yesterday was him putting a time into people he has plenty of times when they've been fresh. 50 seconds on the Finestre over Dumoulin not going full gas isn't ridiculous.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Think how different it might have been had Lopez not made it into the chasers.
    Karapaz might have done some work to overhaul Lopez, Pinot would have been free to give a bit more without having to worry about getting mugged and they wouldn't have waited for Reichenbach (at least not twice).

But Lopez and Carapaz have been stuck to each other for so long it was almost a surprise they didn't ride the TT together.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,864
    Td said he was nailed going up the Finestra.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,864
    As for Froome looking ugly on a bike, Tom Dumoulin is hardly Mr Pédaleur de Charme.
    froome make TD look like valverde
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    gsk82 wrote:

I had not heard such a bitter laughter for a long time.
  • above_the_cows
    ddraver wrote:

And then fannied about on the descent.
  • above_the_cows

This kind of measured analysis just won't do.

Report to the outrage prefects with immediate effect.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

This kind of measured analysis just won't do.

Report to the outrage prefects with immediate effect.

Sorry maam. Will go straight to Twitter to get my caning.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    gsk82 wrote:

He's twenty-eight, you can't blame the impetuity of youth when you're nearly thirty.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    andyp wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

He's twenty-eight, you can't blame the impetuity of youth when you're nearly thirty.

Sounds a bit like he's believed it when someone told him that he's on the same level as the big boys. Didn't have much of an opinion on Bennett but now I think he's a tool
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Froome didn't do 80km against the peloton, he did 80km against three riders, one of whom can't descend but had to be waited for, as his teammate had to keep something back against a guy sitting in who could hurt him at the end.
    The chasers really were the perfect selection for Froome.
    Carapaz, Lopez and Pinot were racing each other.
    None of them were racing Froome but Dumoulin thought they should, none of them were racing Dumoulin but he thought they could.
    And they were being pulled by someone who had been dropped on the climb and can't descend well.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    ShutupJens wrote:
    Sounds a bit like he's believed it when someone told him that he's on the same level as the big boys. Didn't have much of an opinion on Bennett but now I think he's a tool

I like him, tries to improve as a rider and hasn't fallen into the trap of having media training and becoming a repetitive automaton when speaking to the media.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    andyp wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:

I like him, tries to improve as a rider and hasn't fallen into the trap of having media training and becoming a repetitive automaton when speaking to the media.
    Becoming an automaton isn't just the result of media training, it's also the result of being screwed over the media. This incident will make Bennett more wary, which is a shame - really don't think he meant anything by it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    It was his own team recording it. I doubt he'd have said it if it was the media. Shows his true feelings though.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338
    gsk82 wrote:
    It was his own team recording it. I doubt he'd have said it if it was the media. Shows his true feelings though.

After watching his interview this morning right before the start of the stage I honestly don’t think he was referring to Landis in that way - he seemed frustrated that people on Twitter had latched onto it for their own means.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    ddraver wrote:

And then fannied about on the descent.
    This.

Froome probably made more time on the descents than on the climbs. Tom was virtually sitting up as times.... I couldn't work it out hence my comment he didn't appear to go into the red and was saving himself for Saturday.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP