Giro 2018, Stage 19: Turin - Monte Jafferau - 184 kilometres. *Spoilers*

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,864
    RichN95 wrote:
    Using Giro live updates, I think this is where Froome took time on Dumoulin:

Finestere climb 37s
    Finistere descent 1 min 15
    Sestriere climb 49s
    Sestriere descent 25s
    Valley 15s
    Final climb 3s
    So 1 min 40 gained descending

a lot of that waiting for RB
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    Do we know how much RB contributed in the end? The camera was always in the wrong place for me, but maybe someone’s heard or seen something.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Pross wrote:
    Can’t believe I missed the end of that stage. Does everyone think he can hold on tomorrow after that effort? I assume everyone had to go deep anyway so will be equally hard for them to come back.

What’s the Clinic reaction :lol:

Probably a bit quieter than I expected, to be honest.

Some calls for him to be DQ'd immediately, etc. etc.
  • mididoctors
    Do we know how much RB contributed in the end? The camera was always in the wrong place for me, but maybe someone’s heard or seen something.
    not enough but he did well to stay in the lead group....

TD had to wait because pinot wouldn't ride if he pressed on I suspect.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    When you watch races like this with drama to the end despite so many stages with mountains you can't help but wonder why the Tour de France organisers still seem to think the way to go it minimal mountain top finishes in the hope of having drama to the end. If this had been a tour route Yates would have been riding the procession to victory this last couple of days.

Having routes like this allow for the ebbs and flows and can expose people on bad days. All that today and yet a really hard mountain stage to follow tomorrow.

Of course it also brings to mind the talk there has been in recent years of making the Giro and Vuelta two weeks rather than three. I really hope that never happens.

As for Yates, I'm assuming they will say he has been sick, but they kept in quiet in the hope that he would improve.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    I think Reichenbach did little to narrow the gap to Froome, but did give Pinot an easier ride which probably prevented him getting mugged by Lopez.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    squired wrote:
    When you watch races like this with drama to the end despite so many stages with mountains you can't help but wonder why the Tour de France organisers still seem to think the way to go it minimal mountain top finishes in the hope of having drama to the end. If this had been a tour route Yates would have been riding the procession to victory this last couple of days.
    Ultimately a lot of it comes down to geography. Italy is basically a volcanic ridge with climbs the length of the country while the majority of France is flat. To get a Giro like course they'd have to ignore most of France.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    hypster wrote:
    Anyway, impressive how Froome deFinistreted the entire GC.

I'll get my coat.

He saw his window of opportunity and went for it!

Well played both of you.

Sorry I'm a bit late catching up here (been waiting for Simon).
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Well I ve found a highlight stream of diabolical* quality so I might be able to actually watch some of this madness

*HD streams are of no use in rural Cornwall...

Frrome's pre-stage interview!!! :lol::lol::lol:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,641
    squired wrote:

Having routes like this allow for the ebbs and flows and can expose people on bad days. All that today and yet a really hard mountain stage to follow tomorrow.

Of course it also brings to mind the talk there has been in recent years of making the Giro and Vuelta two weeks rather than three. I really hope that never happens.

As for Yates, I'm assuming they will say he has been sick, but they kept in quiet in the hope that he would improve.

The giro isn't always entertaining. Sure this one has had a good route, but ultimately the entertainment has come from the riders.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Froome is 7th in the Combativity classification, 1 place ahead of Dumoulin. How dues that work then?
  • RichN95.
    inseine wrote:
    Froome is 7th in the Combativity classification, 1 place ahead of Dumoulin. How dues that work then?
    It's really weird for the Giro. Last year Landa only just beat Gaviria. Yes, Gaviria.
  • RichN95.
    I don't know how he's feeling, but if Yates can recover tomorrow and get in the break he could still claim the KOM jersey.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    mfin wrote:
    God I'm dreading the reactions to this in my office on Monday.

I'll be having to studiously avoid all my 'Sky are all doping' colleagues who like to conveniently gloss over the tawdry recent history of Dutch cycling.

You shouldn't complain. Most offices won't have anyone in them that is remotely interested in a bunch of blokes going for a bike ride in spandex.

you say that though, everyone suddenly gains Kirby like insights to the sport in our office
  • Anyone know where I can watch this epic stage from start to finish? I was at work and missed it.
    Thanks a lot.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    ddraver wrote:
    What did he say?
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Bizarre stage.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,586
    Froome's ascent of Finestre, even will the full Sky lead out was the slowest there has been. (2005, 2011, 2015 were all faster)
    Richard Carapaz ascended the Jafferau fastest, but was almost 3 minutes slower than Santambrogio/Nibali in 2014, in appalling conditions.
    Dumoulin and Froome both 20 odd seconds slower than Carapazzzzz. :lol:

That’s going to blow Vayer’s mind!
  • the article don
    the article don Posts: 578
    edited May 2018
    Clearly this is a pretty balanced forum and that was immense to watch but is there not a single whiff of doubt or incredulity about what was witnessed today?
    The comparative slowness of the climbs does indeed bring some reassurance but on the flip side, this has been an inordinately hard race thus far. Serious non trolling question.
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • RichN95.
    Graeme_S wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    What did he say?
    are-you-not-entertained-w-text-720x396.jpg

Not really. But he should have to all the people who think he's a boring robot.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Oooo I just realised I can watch the whole of the televised stage again on the Eurosport Player!
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Ha at the bottom of the Finestre, Kirby waxing lyrical about how strong Yates looks, putting on a show of dominance. Poor Simon.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ddraver
    Graeme_S wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    What did he say?
    You'll have to try and find it as I can't really type it out but Flecha gives it a 'Chreeees, are you going to attack today?'
    And Froome has to go, 'ah ha, no why..what would give you that idea, attack? Us? No surely not'

Obviously knowing that they had exactly that plan...
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Thoughts from my useless highlight feed.

Sunweb need to really find some riders to give Tommy some support. To often this Giro he's been left on his own. Not necessarily just today but every day

What I didnt appreciate is quite how rapid Yates's demolition was. In the minds of the chasers then, essentially nothing had changed. The king died and was replaced almost within a few minutes of racing. There was barely enough time for them to re-assess any potential GC goals on the road before they were back to the morning's plan.

Also, some of the twaliban right now are hilarious!
    - @ddraver
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Anyone know where I can watch this epic stage from start to finish? I was at work and missed it.
    Thanks a lot.
    Full stage here
  • ddraver
    adr82 wrote:
    Anyone know where I can watch this epic stage from start to finish? I was at work and missed it.
    Thanks a lot.
    Full stage here

How have I not known about this website!!!
    - @ddraver
  • adr82 wrote:
    Thanks a lot.
    Full stage here
    Thank you very much kind sir.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    ddraver wrote:
    Well I ve found a highlight stream of diabolical* quality so I might be able to actually watch some of this madness

*HD streams are of no use in rural Cornwall...

Yeah, just watched the ES highlights - that interview's such a p!ss take in context of what happened!
  • mididoctors
    Clearly this is a pretty balanced forum and that was immense to watch but is there not a single whiff of doubt or incredulity about what was witnessed today?
    The comparative slowness of the climbs does indeed bring some reassurance but on the flip side, this has been an inordinately hard race thus far. Serious non trolling question.

there have been plenty of "rides" in gt history. some tooled up others not. the pelotons heavily fragmented state spoke to me of "cleaner"

but it's just a wild a55 guess. as for the winner.. it would be better "optics" politically for cycling if an outstanding case was not floating around in the gossip-sphere.

do I think Froome was packed with oxygen-boosting products/procedures/and or recovery hormones/products of some nature? no.
  • RichN95.
    What's the record for the longest stage thread on this forum? The chaingate stage was a big one.