Giro 2018, Stage 19: Turin - Monte Jafferau - 184 kilometres. *Spoilers*

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Cor blimey watching the Froome attack again, Little Kenny really dug deep and put in a massive effort for Froome.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Now the stage has finished I can leave the house.

Is anyone else sat with a bottle of beer shaking their head thinking I still can't believe it? Wow just wow
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    RichN95 wrote:
    What's the record for the longest stage thread on this forum? The chaingate stage was a big one.

Without doping, good question. With doping, (and Bertie doing something, and frenchie) we ve a way to go yet no?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622
    RichN95 wrote:
    What's the record for the longest stage thread on this forum? The chaingate stage was a big one.

Iainf used to maintain those stats.
  • Clearly this is a pretty balanced forum and that was immense to watch but is there not a single whiff of doubt or incredulity about what was witnessed today?
    The comparative slowness of the climbs does indeed bring some reassurance but on the flip side, this has been an inordinately hard race thus far. Serious non trolling question.

there have been plenty of "rides" in gt history. some tooled up others not. the pelotons heavily fragmented state spoke to me of "cleaner"

but it's just a wild a55 guess. as for the winner.. it would be better "optics" politically for cycling if an outstanding case was not floating around in the gossip-sphere.

do I think Froome was packed with oxygen-boosting products/procedures/and or recovery hormones/products of some nature? no.

Good answer
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    TheBigBean wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Iainf used to maintain those stats.

They were longest if Cav lost.

I reckon Cav V Sagan crash would have been a biggie.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    edited May 2018
    RichN95 wrote:
    Had a quick look, probably missing some but the longest I found was TdF 2014 Stage 5 (Rain, cobbles, Froome DNF'ing, Nibali crushing everyone else on GC), weighing in at a whopping 85 pages!

Other lengthy GT stage threads beaten by today:
    - TdF 2013 Stage 15 (Froome on Ventoux) @ 48 pages
    - TdF 2014 Stage 4 (Tony Martin winning the cobbled stage) @ 45 pages
    - TdF 2015 Stage 19 (Nibali winning at La Toussuire, Quintana taking some time on Froome) @ 43 pages
    - TdF 2013 Stage 16 (Stage into Gap where Contador crashed himself and almost took Froome out too) @ 42 pages
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Clearly this is a pretty balanced forum and that was immense to watch but is there not a single whiff of doubt or incredulity about what was witnessed today?
    The comparative slowness of the climbs does indeed bring some reassurance but on the flip side, this has been an inordinately hard race thus far. Serious non trolling question.
    Oh absolutely.

Have to admit my eyebrows were tugging upwards a bit for Yates stage win from 18km too.

But it's been a great race and I'm not about to lose sleep over it.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,155
    adr82 wrote:
    Had a quick look, probably missing some but the longest I found was TdF 2014 Stage 5 (Rain, cobbles, Froome DNF'ing, Nibali crushing everyone else on GC), weighing in at a whopping 85 pages!
    Looking at that one, we were on page ten by the time it started.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    adr82 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

- TdF 2015 Stage 19 (Nibali winning at La Toussuire, Quintana taking some time on Froome) @ 43 pages
    - TdF 2013 Stage 16 (Stage into Gap where Contador crashed himself and almost took Froome out too) @ 42 pages

Chaingate must've been a long one...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    Tour threads always have the advantage that more people are off work (or skiving in an empty office) and can post more.

That and it being the Tour, obv.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    ddraver wrote:
    Strangely only 21 pages. I think the debate must have had it's own thread.

While looking I found the Alpe d'Huez stage in 2013 at 73 pages.
  • daninexile
    daninexile Posts: 45
    ben@31 wrote:
    Now the stage has finished I can leave the house.

Is anyone else sat with a bottle of beer shaking their head thinking I still can't believe it? Wow just wow

Yeah me. It really was a cracking day's racing.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    Well I feel a Froome pink

Why, how is he gonna beat Dumoulin by minutes?

By doing what you saw him do? :D
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    Commentary highlight for me was Sean Kelly saying that the Giro was definitely one of the top 3-week tours :lol::lol::lol:
  • RichN95.
    In tonight's Cycling Podcast, Daniel Friebe produces a genuine laugh out loud fact about Pozzovivo
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Holy Shit! Just finished watching. What a stage! Feel so bad for Yates. Incredible ride by Froome, surely the ride of his career, not sure it gets any better than that. No idea why they let him get so much time on the descent.
  • daninexile
    daninexile Posts: 45
    Holy shoot! Just finished watching. What a stage! Feel so bad for Yates. Incredible ride by Froome, surely the ride of his career, not sure it gets any better than that. No idea why they let him get so much time on the descent.

According to TD its because Reichenbach descends like an old lady.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    daninexile wrote:
    Holy shoot! Just finished watching. What a stage! Feel so bad for Yates. Incredible ride by Froome, surely the ride of his career, not sure it gets any better than that. No idea why they let him get so much time on the descent.

According to TD its because Reichenbach descends like an old lady.

He got one thing right today, then.

60 pages and counting? Nothing to do with Froome or the race, down to these OPs. :lol:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.

60 pages and counting? Nothing to do with Froome or the race, down to these OPs. :lol:
    So is it basically a Nutella Choc Ice?
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Froome's ascent of Finestre, even will the full Sky lead out was the slowest there has been. (2005, 2011, 2015 were all faster)
    Richard Carapaz ascended the Jafferau fastest, but was almost 3 minutes slower than Santambrogio/Nibali in 2014, in appalling conditions.
    Dumoulin and Froome both 20 odd seconds slower than Carapazzzzz. :lol:

Good info to counter the twits on my twitter feed. Cheers
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Tour threads always have the advantage that more people are off work (or skiving in an empty office) and can post more.

That and it being the Tour, obv.
    There's always an influx of posters in July!

Strangely that 2014 stage was one of the first ones I followed on this forum.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Coach H wrote:

No doubt he will make a full apology in the morning
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited May 2018
    Chris-Froome-was-chased-by-two-people-dressed-as-surgeons-carrying-an-inhaler-965119.jpg

1527272146-106474.jpg?fit=620%2C372
  • blazing_saddles
    RichN95 wrote:

So is it basically a Nutella Choc Ice?

That stage was almost worthy of my Nutella choc ice, but I am a bit concerned that someone from the Clinic might spot it and make the obvious connection.
    Talking that place, there seems to have been quite the sea change in said forum's RR section. Even some die hard haters are applauding CF.
    Meanwhile, TD calling Reichenbach Falls an old lady hasn't gone down too well.
  • blazing_saddles
    mfin wrote:
    Chris-Froome-was-chased-by-two-people-dressed-as-surgeons-carrying-an-inhaler-965119.jpg

foto1.jpg
  • RichN95.
    mfin wrote:
    As I said at the time, he's really put some effort into that. He deserves some credit. Certainly better than the p1ss poor dinosaur.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    ddraver wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Long time lurker here - been following spoilers since at least 2013 (early memories were MSR and an excellent Roubaix that year) but I think the Alpe D'Huez double stage in 2013 topped a ton? Might have gotten locked actually. It was all kicking off anyway that year
  • RichN95.
    ShutupJens wrote:

Long time lurker here - been following spoilers since at least 2013 (early memories were MSR and an excellent Roubaix that year) but I think the Alpe D'Huez double stage in 2013 topped a ton? Might have gotten locked actually. It was all kicking off anyway that year
    See up the thread. I stumbled upon it searching for chaingate. 73 pages.