Giro 2018, Stage 16: Trento - Rovereto - 34.2 kilometres, *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
edited May 2018 in Pro race
Giro 2018, Stage 16: Trento - Rovereto - 34.2 kilometres

Tuesday, 22 May 2018 - The 16th stage of the Giro d'Italia is an individual time trial of 34.2 kilometres. The first part of the route runs on the flat, while the race takes in a number of sloping sections in the last 10 kilometres.
The start ramp is located in Trento, town of Leonardo Bertagnolli and the Mosers. The route runs through the Trentino-Alto Adige/Südtirol region, home of the Tour of the Alps, which is often used as a preparation for the Giro.
The first intermediate time check is at kilometre 12.9 in Aldeno, a village at the foot of the Monte Bondone climb. Yet, the riders leave the 2,180 metres peak alone and head further south to Rovereto.
The second half of the route is more hilly. With 10 kilometres left the road points uphill for 500 metres. The first half of it rises with double digit gradients before the hill flattens out. The second intermediate check point is located just over the top.
With 5.6 kilometres remaining the route climbs at 3% for 900 metres, while the ultimate kilometres begin with 600 metres at 3 to 4%. Some 500 metres before the line a small stretch of pavé appears.
The ITT ends in Rovereto, home town of the Bertolinis, of whom Alessandro is the best known member – or, the least unknown. In 2008, aged 36, he won a stage in the Giro. The roads are narrower here, and a number of 90-degree bends lead into wider avenues, heading for the finish. The home straight (570 m) is on 6.5-m wide asphalt road.
The first rider leaves the ramp at 13:30 and the arrival of the last one is expected around 17:15 – both local times.

Profile:-
stage-16-profile.jpg?01

Map:-
map-16.jpg

Finish:-
G18_T16_Rovereto_ukm_jpg.jpg
stage-16-finish.jpg

TRENTO

Roman treasures and Renaissance splendour living side by side in squares, streets and buildings, making every corner a unique wonder. This is Trento, the Alpine capital “par excellence”, which has always been a privileged bridge between Italian culture and Central European tradition thanks to its geographical location.
The city of Trento has a lot to offer from a cultural and artistic point of view. You can not miss the underground archeological site of Roman Tridentum, the frescoed façades of the noble sixteenth-century palazzi in the town centre, the Castello del Buonconsiglio, the Science Museum MUSE, San Vigilio Cathedral, the Diocesano Tridentino Museum, the Museo dell’Aeronautica Gianni Caproni, the Piedicastello Galleries and the Galleria Civica of Trento – Mart.
Not far from Trento the beautiful Valle dei Laghi is rich in lakes, ancient villages and medieval castles like Toblino Castle on the omonymous lake, which is surely one of the most romantic and picturesque places in Trentino. 20 minutes far from the city you can also reach Monte Bondone, which offers many possibilities for having fun and doing some sport in nature. The city offers also urban trekking itineraries, cycle paths and the 16,3 km long legendary climb Charly Gaul, which leads from Trento to Monte Bondone at 1651 meters of altitude.
Foto-Cover_MOD-Newspower.jpg
At the Conca delle Viote it is also possible to observe the stars thanks to the astronomy observatory and to discover the alpine plant biodiversity at the Viote Alpine Botanic Garden.
The territory also hosts very important sports events like the granfondo Legendary Charly Gaul, which will be held in Trento from 6th to 8th July and is italian stage of the UCI Granfondo World Series, and the Moserissima, the historical bicycle ride of the 7th July in honour of the great champion Francesco Moser.

HISTORY
Inhabitants: 530.000 circa
Origins: roman age
Ancient name: Tridentum

Fototeca-Trentino-Marketing-foto-C.-Baroni.jpg
Trento.jpg

ROVERETO

Laying among hills and vineyards, Rovereto is at the centre of the Adige Valley, along the main connecting road between Verona and Trento. Close to Lake Garda, being an old centre of silk production, it has a sophisticated cultural offer in terms of museums and festivals, palaces and monuments. But it is also a heaven for cyclists and a skiing resort with tracks on the slopes of the Brentonico highland.
MAIN SIGHTS
Castello di Rovereto (14th century), Mart (Museo d’Arte Moderna e Contemporanea, Museum of modern and contemporary art), Casa Depero (Museum of Futurism).

HISTORY
Population: 39,000
Foundation: Middle Ages
Ancient name: Roboretus (uncertain)

3-3.jpg

Favourites 16th stage 2018 Giro d’Italia
*** Rohan Dennis, Tom Dumoulin, Jos van Emden
** Vasil Kiryienka, Tony Martin, Victor Campenaerts
* Maximilian Schachmann, Ryan Mullen, Alex Dowsett, Chris Froome.

The rather important weather forecast.

https://www.3bmeteo.com/meteo/trento/1

The local cheese is made in alpine huts.
guffanti-toma-bettelmatt-tagliato-789x444.jpg

Local vineyards.
refosco-03.jpg

Producing this to accompany the formaggi.
2-Casa-del-vino_697_girovagando-24-640x400.jpg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    The university in Trento does some interesting work in political geography.

Anyway some traditional cow bells...

68527559-traditional-cow-bells-in-a-village-festival-in-trento-italy-.jpg
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Based on my theory on another thread that Froome's form is fine for long threshold efforts and it's only the higher power stuff he's struggling with, I think he'll do a top five maybe top three performance.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    RichN95 wrote:
    Based on my theory on another thread that Froome's form is fine for long threshold efforts and it's only the higher power stuff he's struggling with, I think he'll do a top five maybe top three performance.

Yeh, was thinking the same thing.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    RichN95 wrote:

I was quite taken with that theory. If Froome puts in a good ride then I think you can call it verified.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    If you lose 1:30 your threshold isn’t high enough.

TD got dropped when his group companions went above threshold and he clawed it back (whilst putting time into Froome). You saying he wasn’t riding threshold??

Surely lower than average form = race winning efforts hurt more so day after winning on a climb he hates = suffers the next day?
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2018
    Dowsett suggesting the TT route won’t produce big time gaps.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,641
    My predicted GC Top 3 after tomorrow's stage are

1. Yates
    2. Dumoulin @ 4"
    3. Froome @ 3'15"
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Dowsett suggesting the TT route won’t produce big time gaps.
    Based on? It's flat and not especially technical.

Inrng's take from the pre race preview: "pure climbers can lose minutes on a course like this with its flat roads".
  • rick_chasey
    The recce he did.

Dowsett who has won a Giro TT and ridden the course > INRG

https://twitter.com/alexdowsett/status/ ... 4003024896
  • bobmcstuff
    edited May 2018
    The recce he did.

Dowsett who has won a Giro TT and ridden the course > INRG

https://twitter.com/alexdowsett/status/ ... 4003024896
    I think Yates will stay in pink either way. It would have to be an unbelievably good day for Dumoulin or a terrible day for Yates.

I hope that it is quite close though.
  • above_the_cows
    I don't think I've been as excited for a TT for ages and I am going to miss this and won't even have the opportunity to sneakily follow via social media or anything. Booooo.

#thoughtsandprayers
  • above_the_cows
    As I will be missing tomorrow can I post my obligatory Aru TT'ing picture...

566df7331f6f9fff948c0a4ee337f6cf--alter-random-things.jpg

He better not abandon after the rest day.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Irrespective of the outcome of the TT, who's legs will recover better for subsequent days? Presumably a 34 km TT ridden flat out is easier to recover from than 5 hours in the saddle climbing various unpleasant ramps so no reason for any of them to hold anything back.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    What's the weather like for this. IIRC a few years back someone put their bike into a cliff when they got caught out by the wind.
  • bobmcstuff
    What's the weather like for this. IIRC a few years back someone put their bike into a cliff when they got caught out by the wind.

From another thread, expected to be very little wind.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Dumoulin riding a 56/44 28-11, 175mm cranks.

I'm guessing Yates will have slightly lighter gearing
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • rick_chasey
    Timoid. wrote:

Boom.

That’s mainly to get a better chain line in the centre of the cassette, no?
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Timoid. wrote:

Boom.

Didn't think of that. I was just impressed.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Timoid. wrote:

Boom.

Mainly to frighten the opposition :shock:
  • inseine
    Stats from Giro site;
    Second British double in the history of the Giro after the time trial to Saltara (stage 8) in 2013 with Alex Dowsett first and Bradley Wiggins second. It’s the 26th stage win for British riders – just as many as Russia – who sit in 10th position in the countries’ tally.
    Great-Britain has reached 150 leader’s jerseys in all three Grand Tours: 15 at the Giro, 89 at the Tour, 46 at La Vuelta. It puts Great-Britain in 12th position of all time along with Colombia who’ve had four riders in the Maglia Rosa: Rigoberto Uran (4 days), Nairo Quintana (9), Esteban Chaves (1) and Fernando Gaviria (1).
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Timoid. wrote:

Boom.

Yep. Some riders at my local TT who happen to be very good actually ride 60t rings.. just means that they are very unlikely to use the highly inefficient 11t sprocket
  • inseine
    Ryan Mullen the first potential fast man is off at 13.32. Going to have to wait 3 hours to find out the winner.
  • inseine
    The last 15 are off at 3min intervals so little chance of catches, unfortunately.
  • bobmcstuff
    Don't usually get excited for TTs, but I'm keen for this one!
  • RichN95.
    All the start times: https://cnssportcycling.wordpress.com/2 ... art-times/

The chance of rain is increasing towards the end with about a 50% chance for the last riders.
  • bobmcstuff
    TD as quoted by Andrew Hood: "Yates would have to do a very bad time trial to lose his jersey to me"

Pretty much ties in with consensus from elsewhere I think.

The way Yates has been riding he should be putting in a very decent time trial. Unless he comes out of the rest day very badly.
  • I’m not usually a fan of TT’s, but can’t wait for this...
  • RichN95.
    In the last stage both Tony Martin and Alex Dowsett came in five minutes behind the grupetto to try and get as early a start time today as they could.
  • inseine
    RichN95 wrote:
    In the last stage both Tony Martin and Alex Dowsett came in five minutes behind the grupetto to try and get as early a start time today as they could.

seems a lot of effort for 4 or 5 minute earlier start
  • bobmcstuff
    RichN95 wrote:

They've also presumably been taking it pretty easy in the run up, haven't seen much of Dowsett this race yet I don't think?

If Dumoulin gets heavy rain it might change things, but I still think he's likely to win.