Giro 2018, Stage 16: Trento - Rovereto - 34.2 kilometres, *Spoilers*

191011121315»

Comments

• larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Be interesting to know what the deal with the appearance money is as well.
    I thought the Giro official denied any start fee to Froome?

That's not to say that some sponsors made private side arrangements to allow the Giro full deniability, but Froome doesn't particularly strike me as someone who would ride just for the money.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Be interesting to know what the deal with the appearance money is as well.
    Vegni explained it. All teams get paid a fee according to how strong their team is.

I dare say that if Froome had gone home early, Sky's fee next year would probably be paid in Lira.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    amrushton wrote:
    Quick technical question. Yates rode v far forward on the nose of his saddle. Why not use a straight or forward set post to allow him to use more of the saddle instead of pushing himself back - a thing Contador did every 4 pedal strokes

There are regulations about how far forward you can have your saddle with reference to the bottom bracket but no regulations (afaik) about how far forwards your arse is on it.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Can understand the notion that Froome might have left the Giro earlier to prepare for the Tour (seeing as he's going for a 5th win) but I don't understand where this idea that if he's not on for the win he'll just leave the race comes from. He has podiums at other Grand Tours and stage races, he tends not to leave the race unless he's broken a limb or something.

I understand why people don't like him and that's fair enough but all this chat of him trying really hard to salvage a podium place and this brings him up in the estimation of fans who don't favour him or sky... we've had this before.

Not saying you were writing him off ddraver, but some were. Some journos suggested he was on his way home after shipping loads of time in the first week.

I think we re on the same page really. I think, as it looked earlier, that he was not really on for anything and then there was a lot of talk about Froome quitting, citing the Tour later on. It's not uncommon for riders to do something like that. To be specific to Froome, I think alot of his podiums came when he was going for the win but didnt make i, rather than the podium being the best he can get .

I really don't think that this is somehow the end of his career. I think it's a sign that it's the end of riders doing the double...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    He also crashed (twice) and was distinctly unlucky with his position at a couple of crucial moments on final climbs. Journalists would rather have a dramatic story, but these mundane things are enough to explain everything about his Giro performance to me.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    True dat
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    amrushton wrote:
    Quick technical question. Yates rode v far forward on the nose of his saddle. Why not use a straight or forward set post to allow him to use more of the saddle instead of pushing himself back - a thing Contador did every 4 pedal strokes
    UCI regs for position of saddle w.r.t. bars. Can't name the specifics unfortunately.

Could do what others used to do and put sandpaper on the nose of the saddle...

The front of the saddle has to be at least a certain distance behind the bottom bracket. To a certain extent its beneficial to be further forward over the bottom bracket.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Whoever made the shout that Pinot does badly day after rest days.

tumblr_mi18tscnsk1qh9nffo1_500-2.gif

I have a feeling it might have been Rich. He's normally good with that sort of trivia/stats stuff.

It's frightening though, we might have to start taking him seriously. :shock:
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.

I have a feeling it might have been Rich. He's normally good with that sort of trivia/stats stuff.

No, we've got to give that one to Rick.

Mine was pointing out that Froome was doing OK on the long steadier efforts and it was the more classics type finishes he was struggling with.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    RichN95 wrote:

Mine was pointing out that Froome was doing OK on the long steadier efforts and it was the more classics type finishes he was struggling with.

Thank f*** for that. I can go back to mainly pointing at you and laughing*.

*The Froome thing is quite good though. I've no idea if it's true, but I admire the rational conjecture.
  • RichN95.
    *The Froome thing is quite good though. I've no idea if it's true, but I admire the rational conjecture.
    Well I used it to correctly predict trouble for Froome on the day after Zoncolan and a top five in the TT. He won't lose time to those ahead of him tomorrow (bonuses aside). There's a good chance he'll gain on at least one.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    RichN95 wrote:
    Well I used it to correctly predict trouble for Froome on the day after Zoncolan and a top five in the TT. He won't lose time to those ahead of him tomorrow (bonuses aside). There's a good chance he'll gain on at least one.

I think it might be fair to say that the day after the Zoncolan could possibly be down to the Zoncolan itself, rather than any underlying injury issues. We really need a null hypothesis.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    RichN95 wrote:

Twas the boy that got that one.