Comments

• inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    RichN95 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Sosa to Sky....
    I don't know much about him, but a quick search tells me he's another next big thing.
    Already ranked higher than Chaves and both the Henaos, for what it's worth. He's won a s**t load of lower level races this year.
    Won the Vuelta a Burgos ahead of Lopez. Agreed (and announced) a deal with Trek Segafredo who paid a bunch of money to Androni to buy him out of his contract. Got a new agent who seems to have persuaded him to renege on the deal with Trek and sign for more money with Sky. He's a young kid who is being manipulated by his agent but it's a mess and leaves a bad taste in the mouth. An ex 'my man' as soon as I can be bothered to edit my signature. Still, yet another reason to dislike Sky.
    Trek didn't get him to actually sign a contract. It's their own fault. Do the basics before paying out money and making announcements.
    Yep. I read that Trek dropped the ball (and SKY piicked it up)
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Gweeds wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Dumoulin holding a press conference tomorrow.

Guess away boys

Needs someone with a big budget - Bahrain-Merida?

I think it will be somewhere with some Dutch connections.

CCC and then also Etxeondo becoming clothing sponsor would be my bet.

(for some reason also thinking he might go to Trek, if they have money left after Porte)
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Gweeds wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Guess away boys

Needs someone with a big budget - Bahrain-Merida?

Drugs?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    That'd suck...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    ddraver wrote:

Guess away boys
    He’s going to black up for the 2019 season and ride a fixie. To highlight the plight of something or other.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    inseine wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Sosa to Sky....
    I don't know much about him, but a quick search tells me he's another next big thing.
    Already ranked higher than Chaves and both the Henaos, for what it's worth. He's won a s**t load of lower level races this year.
    Won the Vuelta a Burgos ahead of Lopez. Agreed (and announced) a deal with Trek Segafredo who paid a bunch of money to Androni to buy him out of his contract. Got a new agent who seems to have persuaded him to renege on the deal with Trek and sign for more money with Sky. He's a young kid who is being manipulated by his agent but it's a mess and leaves a bad taste in the mouth. An ex 'my man' as soon as I can be bothered to edit my signature. Still, yet another reason to dislike Sky.
    Trek didn't get him to actually sign a contract. It's their own fault. Do the basics before paying out money and making announcements.
    Sosa made the announcement. It was still on his Twitter feed until recently. As I understand it, they have stuff in writing from his former agent but in any event, a contract doesn't need to be in writing. For restraint of trade reasons and possibly because of UCI rider registration regulations Trek may not be able to enforce performance of the contract but they have a prima facie cause of action for damages against Sosa for breach of contract and Sky and the agent for tortious interference. Legally, Sosa, Sky and the agent may get away with it but morally it is shabby behaviour at best.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Guess away boys
    He’s going to black up for the 2019 season and ride a fixie. To highlight the plight of something or other.

It,s anybodys guess from he,s going to join CCC to a positive doping control. Can,t wait for the press conference.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • markwb79
    ademort wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Guess away boys

It,s anybodys guess from he,s going to join CCC to a positive doping control. Can,t wait for the press conference.

He is changing team from what I have heard, I just wasn't told which one.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Markwb79 wrote:

I'd be surprised if Sunweb let him go just like that. He's still got three years on his contract too, so it's not like they'll lose him at the end of this or next season anyway.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    andyp wrote:
    Markwb79 wrote:

I'd be surprised if Sunweb let him go just like that. He's still got three years on his contract too, so it's not like they'll lose him at the end of this or next season anyway.

Are they skint?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • markwb79
    gsk82 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    Markwb79 wrote:

Are they skint?

Yup....seems so
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    ddraver wrote:

You can now build a good part of a budget house with the sponsors of a single cycling team...
    We have different definitions of budget if you're putting down Quick-Step flooring!
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • ddraver
    I've never looked at it in detail to be honest...I thought it was a "faux-wood" type product... :P
    - @ddraver
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Markwb79 wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    Markwb79 wrote:

Are they skint?

Yup....seems so

His fellow Maastricht buddy and teammate ten Dam has already moved to CCC...just sayin'
    Half man, Half bike
  • markwb79
    Ridgerider wrote:
    Markwb79 wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    Markwb79 wrote:

Are they skint?

Yup....seems so

His fellow Maastricht buddy and teammate ten Dam has already moved to CCC...just sayin'

And bike
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • ddraver
    Orange Kit and Oranje...

It's all falling in to place.
    - @ddraver
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    ddraver wrote:
    I've never looked at it in detail to be honest...I thought it was a "faux-wood" type product... :P
    Nor have I, but more because I know it starts at £19ish per sq m pretty sure they make real wood floors too though.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • bobmcstuff wrote:

I guess I wouldn't have heard of Quick Step either, or at least I wouldn't be able to readily remember what they did.

Saw some Quick Step flags in my local town a few weeks ago. Got a bit excited thinking "oh, there must be something cycling related on" for me to then realise that they were out the front of a flooring showroom :lol:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,159
    DeadCalm wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Sosa to Sky....
    Sosa made the announcement. It was still on his Twitter feed until recently. As I understand it, they have stuff in writing from his former agent but in any event, a contract doesn't need to be in writing. For restraint of trade reasons and possibly because of UCI rider registration regulations Trek may not be able to enforce performance of the contract but they have a prima facie cause of action for damages against Sosa for breach of contract and Sky and the agent for tortious interference. Legally, Sosa, Sky and the agent may get away with it but morally it is shabby behaviour at best.

In your previous post you suggested it was his new agent who'd encouraged him. If his new agent went to Sky and said 'Sosa hasn't put pen to paper with Trek yet, are you interested' why would that be shabby behaviour by Sky? You'd have a point if Sky approached the agent and asked him to reconsider but do you know that's the case or are you just guessing? Too many contract negotiations in all sports get leaked to the press with all sides to blame, these things should be sorted behind closed doors once everything has been signed.

It seems a bit churlish to decide you don't like him as a rider any more due to the team he has decided to join, surely the most important thing is that he goes to the team he feels will best help him develop his career. I'm not saying Sky is that team but hopefully that is how he made his decision rather than who was waving most $$s at him, Bernal's decision to sign for 5 years there suggests they must be doing something right (unless all young riders are only interested in the bucks).
  • The Sosa situation isn't really worth debating further, with DC, as it's all about choice of team, rather than the rider.
    Can't really blame a 21YO from Colombia with a background in farming, when figures he must struggle to comprehend are waved in front of his eyes.

As for Sky's budget: it is soon to be surpassed by Shane Sutton's new Chinese outfit, if rumours are true.

Anyhow, after 3 totally barren years of sickness with Team Sky, Benat Intxausti moves back to Spain and Euskadi Murias.
    Let's hope that he soon regains his competitive level.................but maybe not too soon.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    The Sosa situation isn't really worth debating further, with DC, as it's all about choice of team, rather than the rider.
    Can't really blame a 21YO from Colombia with a background in farming, when figures he must struggle to comprehend are waved in front of his eyes.

As for Sky's budget: it is soon to be surpassed by Shane Sutton's new Chinese outfit, if rumours are true.

Anyhow, after 3 totally barren years of sickness with Team Sky, Benat Intxausti moves back to Spain and Euskadi Murias.
    Let's hope that he soon regains his competitive level.................but maybe not too soon.
    He's only 20. he gets to ride for and possibly room with Bernal and even if he does this for a couple of years he's still a really young guy, but now one with loads of top level experience. Bernals 5 year contract has to be a good thing for the sport.
  • DeadCalm
    Pross wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Sosa to Sky....

In your previous post you suggested it was his new agent who'd encouraged him. If his new agent went to Sky and said 'Sosa hasn't put pen to paper with Trek yet, are you interested' why would that be shabby behaviour by Sky? You'd have a point if Sky approached the agent and asked him to reconsider but do you know that's the case or are you just guessing? Too many contract negotiations in all sports get leaked to the press with all sides to blame, these things should be sorted behind closed doors once everything has been signed.

It seems a bit churlish to decide you don't like him as a rider any more due to the team he has decided to join, surely the most important thing is that he goes to the team he feels will best help him develop his career. I'm not saying Sky is that team but hopefully that is how he made his decision rather than who was waving most $$s at him, Bernal's decision to sign for 5 years there suggests they must be doing something right (unless all young riders are only interested in the bucks).
    It is nothing to do with which team he has decided to join. I'm perfectly capable of being a fan of Sky riders despite my distaste for the team overall. Sisakov even features in my signature and I've made no secret of my admiration for TGH. It is the manner of the change that I find distasteful. His previous agent had signed a letter of intent, he had announced personally on Twitter that he was joining Trek. He had encouraged Trek's belief that they had an agreement with him to such an extent that they paid a significant sum to secure his release from Androni.

I appreciate that honour may seem like a bit of an old-fashioned concept but, personally, I choose to keep my promises and tend to look poorly on those that don't.
  • Pross
    But what makes you think Sky acted in an underhand way? Also, maybe he was badly advised by his previous agent - would you want to see a young rider taking the wrong decision on the basis of advice given by an agent if, for example, it was in the best interest of the agent rather than his client? Maybe the new agent is just doing a better job of protecting a young man from being exploited - none of us know either way.
  • So is the Dumoulin presser to announce this? The Tour de Dumoulin to encourage youngsters to ride bikes?

https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/1049655466752704512
  • Pross
    He's taking the Trump ego route by naming a Tour after himself! Doesn't sound much of a challenge riding a lap or circuit of a person (admittedly it's a long way around Trump these days though).
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    I would of gone with Tour Du Moulin to visit a windmill
  • DeadCalm
    Pross wrote:
    But what makes you think Sky acted in an underhand way? Also, maybe he was badly advised by his previous agent - would you want to see a young rider taking the wrong decision on the basis of advice given by an agent if, for example, it was in the best interest of the agent rather than his client? Maybe the new agent is just doing a better job of protecting a young man from being exploited - none of us know either way.
    He had an agreement with Trek. He should honour it whether he was badly advised or not. It is what honourable people do. Sky knew about the agreement and should not have interfered but it is entirely in their character that they did so. Witness also their attempt to torpedo the Remco Evenepoel deal with QS by waving a bucketful of cash at him.
  • Pross
    OK - completely hypothetical - a 20 year old gets advised to take a deal that pays him $200k per year by an agent that takes a bung of $50k to give him that advice when there is another deal on the table that is paying him $300k per year but no bung for the agent. The agent doesn't tell the rider of the other deal and he takes the advice at face value and announces his intention to sign. The agent is dismissed for whatever reason and a new agent comes in who makes the alternative offer known. Are you honestly saying that, in that situation, the rider would be in the wrong to change his mind? I'm not suggesting anything like that happened rather just pointing out that without knowing all the facts you can't really make an informed judgement on the rights and wrongs of the situation.
  • DC sees it as a simple case of honouring a supposed verbal agreement and views Sky as a Machiavellian organization, intent perpetrating malevolent acts on it's unsuspecting rivals.
    Fair enough, if that's how he chooses to see it, I say.

However, Sosa is barely out of his teens, yet he is supposed to be able to act with independently of his advisors and ignore their advice, whether applied through pressure, sweet talking, or being offered huge sums of money. I just don't buy it.
    I'm not saying that were he in this position, DC wouldn't do what he describes as the "honourable thing", but it's easy for someone on social media to set ethical standards for others.
    It doesn't cost them a dime.
    So, where DC sees dishonour, I see inexperience and naivety.

Professional athletes rely heavily (trust) on their agents and the deals they make can be complex, protracted and fall through when seemingly complete, over a single issue. Professional athletes often change agents for a variety of reasons.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    Professional athlete seeks best deal shock. Professional sports team tries to attract talent by offering big(ger) cash shock.

Never happened anywhere anytime ever before. Blxxdy Sky.