Milano-Sanremo 2018 *Spoilers*

Comments

• kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Brian Smith

@BriSmithy
    11m11 minutes ago
    More
    From what i hear Cav has no broken bones but has more whiplash to deal with. Horrendous crash. Glad no serious injuries. Hope the wee man's luck changes soon.... #MSR

Hoping that is an accurate assessment. Was one hell of a smash.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Fantastic, would have been a great finish had that been any rider but for Nibali who has had that as a career goal for so long, being an Italian, being a rider with no sprint in an era when riders like that don't win MSR makes that a hard act for any other race to follow this year.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    But for the reported crash victims, just about everybody made it home inside the time.
    Confirming Cav's comment from earlier in the week.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,647
    Fantastic, would have been a great finish had that been any rider but for Nibali who has had that as a career goal for so long, being an Italian, being a rider with no sprint in an era when riders like that don't win MSR makes that a hard act for any other race to follow this year.

Without wanting to sound Kirby like, Nibz got a decent tow off the camerabike. Suspect had it not been a popular Italian that advantage would not have been quite so big...
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    So that new video ref is working well then?
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    those new cannondale bikes are hideous
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    My Man!!!!!!!!! Boom! Delivering with class once again...
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    http://africasteam.com/2018/03/17/updat ... cavendish/

Cavendish update
    He did sustain a new rib fracture (5th) on the same side as the one that he damaged in the opening stage of Tirreno-Adriatico (7th).

He also has bruising and abrasions consistent with the scale of the crash as well as a possible “ligamentous ankle injury” that will require further assessment once he returns home on Saturday.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • blazing_saddles
    Looks like it was Greipel we saw crash on the Poggio. Broke his collarbone.

https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20180317_03414737
  • blazing_saddles
    Meanwhile Kwiatkowski: "We fell asleep."

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racin ... eep-373454

He wasn't alone.
  • Weird - startlist came up without consciously clicking - saw Nibali's name jump out and thought 'win' without any doubts - then he won . That doesn't sound as odd as it was
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,647
    Nuts.

Italian solos off the poggio and beats the peloton.

I mean phwoar.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    So NIbali jumped as he often does and the peloton expected him to be easily brought back as he usually is. But it didn't happen.

There were chasers from many teams. The questions I'd ask is of Trentin trying to chase down Nibali solo rather than in the peloton on behalf of Ewan. Of course tactics are easier in hindsight.

Sagan's 'I'd rather put on a show than win' talk appeared empty. (It was dumb to begin with)

Cavendish has clearly spent the winter breaking mirrors by throwing black cats at them.

As for Nibali - he's getting praise for being an all-rounder, respecting the full calendar. Maybe. But let's not forget he's an Italian. Valverde has never really bothered with MSR or Lombardy - preferring to mop up early season Spanish races.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    4 GT, 3 monuments... I think we have to go back to Hinault to find someone who did better... not sure what the Nibali naysayers are on about...
    left the forum March 2023
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    4 GT, 3 monuments... I think we have to go back to Hinault to find someone who did better... not sure what the Nibali naysayers are on about...[/quote

Quite. I wasn't joking when I said 'best rider in the peloton'. Plus he seems to go about it in an entertaining fashion.
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    Back to back monuments. How many times has Lombardia-MSR been done before?

The view from France from a journo
    J'ai toujours pensé que @vincenzonibali était le champion de son époque. Aujourd'hui j'en suis convaincu. Panache, polyvalence, audace, ce mec est définitivement un #fuoriclasse. Gagner #MSR2018 de cette manière est géant.
    Grande Vincenzo!!!

What a rider. What a win.

Vai Enzo

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,448
    RichN95 wrote:
    As for Nibali - he's getting praise for being an all-rounder, respecting the full calendar. Maybe. But let's not forget he's an Italian. Valverde has never really bothered with MSR or Lombardy - preferring to mop up early season Spanish races.
    Valverde has started Lombardy seven times in his career, and has often been talked himself up ahead of it as a possible winner, so I would argue he has bothered.

He's also started MSR six times.
  • inseine
    As for Lombardia-MSR back to back. First since Kelly. Says it all
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,448
    Back to back monuments. How many times has Lombardia-MSR been done before?
    In the same season, or Lombardy first, then San Remo?

Kelly definitely did the latter, twice. He won Lombardy in 85 and 91, then San Remo in 86 and 92. Saronni did it too I think. I'd imagine Merckx and Coppi did it too.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    4 GT, 3 monuments... I think we have to go back to Hinault to find someone who did better... not sure what the Nibali naysayers are on about...

I don't think there's many naysayers on his quality, he's obviously a great rider. He can be a bit of a bellend, that's all.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    You get a sense of the whiplash here.

https://twitter.com/BrainOnWheels/statu ... 6275667968

Awful crash, but he seems to stay loose and accept the inevitable.

It’s shocking the amount of utter knobheads on FB cycling pages saying they hope Cav is seriously injured because he deserves it for always causing crashes. Clearly Sagan worshippers who have probably never even watched a race.

One complete chopper posted that Cav’s crash last week at T-A was bound to have been caused by him taking risks. When I pointed out it was a TTT and he clearly hasn’t even watched it he didn’t comment again.

In fact why do I even bother with those groups!
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

I don't think there's many naysayers on his quality, he's obviously a great rider. He can be a bit of a bellend, that's all.
    Exactly my thoughts... plus, he could never handle Contador at his best (who, in turn, wasn’t able to cope with Froome at his best)...
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    NorvernRob wrote:
    You get a sense of the whiplash here.

https://twitter.com/BrainOnWheels/statu ... 6275667968

Awful crash, but he seems to stay loose and accept the inevitable.

It’s shocking the amount of utter knobheads on FB cycling pages saying they hope Cav is seriously injured because he deserves it for always causing crashes. Clearly Sagan worshippers who have probably never even watched a race.

One complete chopper posted that Cav’s crash last week at T-A was bound to have been caused by him taking risks. When I pointed out it was a TTT and he clearly hasn’t even watched it he didn’t comment again.

In fact why do I even bother with those groups!

It's a wonder why you do bother, it's bad enough when July comes around and all of a sudden everyone is an expert on bunch sprinting
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    DYfWez-XUAEeeov.jpg

Credit > Off The Back‏ @OffTheBackBlog
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Exactly my thoughts... plus, he could never handle Contador at his best (who, in turn, wasn’t able to cope with Froome at his best)...

But that's the point... Nibali wasn't born a stage race rider he became one... he never excelled at TT in the way Froome or Contador did and maybe was short of 10 Watts on the Alpe d'Huez as compared to the best of the best.

However, he is a proper rouleur, a phenomenal racer who can win on many terrains. You can't forget what he did on wet cobbles in 2014... when he dropped Cancellara... I mean, dropping Cancellara on the Roubaix cobbles is in another league.

Froome and Contador are phenomenal stage race climbers, but I've never seen them doing anything else.

Every generation has one or three great GT riders, but not all generations have someone like Nibali... as I said, you need to rewind to Hinault and Lemond.
    left the forum March 2023
  • inseine
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

But neither of them has won a monument (or 3), infact neither have won any one day race of note. Even Sagan hasn't won 3 yet and he'll never get near winning all the GTs. Not knocking any of these guys just saying Nibali is a great bike rider and a pleasure to watch.
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    Such a cracking finish. Was on my feet and shouting at him to stay away. Love Nibali, he races with pure aggression and it's just rewards for his efforts in this race over the years when it's so difficult to beat the sprinters
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Busy weekend, but finally caught up. Cracking race and a great finale. Tremendous attack by Nibali. Should have been brought back, but just managed to make it stick!

I'm a little disappointed in Kwiatkowski. Should have been positioned better at the end. Was too far off to cover Nibali.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    However, he is a proper rouleur, a phenomenal racer who can win on many terrains. You can't forget what he did on wet cobbles in 2014... when he dropped Cancellara... I mean, dropping Cancellara on the Roubaix cobbles is in another league.

I think that performance is possibly in his Top 3/5 rides - it was that good. He was already a GT winner, a well known descender - but that was something else; a proper display of bike handling from a lightweight GC rider over wet cobbles.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Froome and Contador are phenomenal stage race climbers, but I've never seen them doing anything else. .
    froome has an olympic bronze in the TT