Milano-Sanremo 2018 *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,892
edited March 2018 in Pro race
I don't want to read folks grumbling as to where this thread is, half way through tomorrow's live coverage.
It's here, now: Monument number one of the 2018 season, as always, La Primavera.

Milano-Sanremo 2018, Saturday March 17th.

wZrtmGj.jpg

SRM_18_alt-1024x563.jpg

SRM_18_Cipressa_web.jpg

SRM_18_Poggio_web.jpg

SRM_18_UKM_web-1.jpg

0yx6UOy.jpg

The peloton will roll out of Milano at 09:45 with the offical start schduled for 10:20. The will pass the Turqino at 13:30 – 13:50, and the finish in Sanremo sometime around 16:40 -17:30 depending on the events of the day.
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,401
    Is this the Milan-Sanremo spoiler thread or the Milan-San Remo spoiler thread?

Daniel Friebe demands an answer.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Extracts from cycling News........
    Long-range forecasts had indicated rain all day for Saturday’s 291km race, with teams preparing bikes, clothing and feeding to help riders race in the rain for seven hours.
    On Saturday rain is expected in Milan for the 9:45 start and is likely on the 150km ride to the Turchino and the descent towards Genoa. However the temperatures will be mild, even at the 532m high summit of the Turchino. Conditions are likely to improve as the kilometres tick by on the coast road. Rain showers could be a threat but spring is likely to have sprung by late afternoon when the riders hit the coastal capi climbs, the Cipressa, and the Poggio. There is a good chance of the sun breaking through the clouds and temperatures of 12 degrees Celsius for the finish on Via Roma.
    South-westerly winds of just 15kph are forecast, perhaps helping the sprinters control the race even with teams of just seven riders this year.
    A south westerly-wind will be a cross-headwind along the coast, making it harder for the early break and attack on the Cipressa to stay away on the exposed road after the key climb.
    That same wind will also slow any attacks on the exposed early sections of the Poggio but will not affect the second part of the final climb, which is protected by the greenhouses and walls. Attacks in the final kilometre of the Poggio are still likely with the descent and final 2.5km to the finish protected from the wind.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    As a founding member of the Gianni Moscon fan club I'm hoping for a big performance from him tomorrow.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,356

Officially, Milano-Sanremo.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Forecast starting to look more promising than it does in the UK.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    There's been some handbags between Sagan and Kwiatkowski which is pretty lols.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/peter-s ... -san-remo/

Sagan: "If I win like that, I wouldn’t be happy with my performance"
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,892

I blame the interweb.

This just adds to the confusion..
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanremo

I've been there several times and have always known it as I posted it.
    Although I don't like it that way, I'll make it "official".
    Making race threads around here, is like handing in homework to a bunch of teachers who never leave the staffroom...........
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • bobmcstuff wrote:

Sagan: "...Everyone is different, we have difference personalities, that's life. That's why life is beautiful, everybody is different. I prefer to make some show for people and how it's going, it's going, it doesn't matter if you win or lose."

Worst war of words ever.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,356
    Forecast starting to look more promising than it does in the UK.

That's good news - don't want them hopping in coaches again.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

I blame the interweb.

This just adds to the confusion..
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanremo

I've been there several times and have always known it as I posted it.
    Although I don't like it that way, I'll make it "official".
    Making race threads around here, is like handing in homework to a bunch of teachers who never leave the staffroom...........
    :lol:

Funny thing is, your headline in the post was "Sanremo".
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,912
    No complaining it’s been dull till most of the way up the Poggio guys.

You know the drill.
  • "easiest race to finish, hardest to win' DRINK!

'its like an opera, building and building to a crescendo' DRINK!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Aside from Gerrans, who's everyone least favourite MSR winner?

Demare for me.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • milton50
    Probably Kristoff
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,140
    iainf72 wrote:

Demare for me.

I wouldn't be surprised if he adds insult to injury tomorrow.

To answer, your question, Gabriele Colombo.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,569
    Milton50 wrote:
    Probably Kristoff

What did my man do to you?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,956
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    iainf72 wrote:

Demare for me.
    I don't really have least favourite cyclists, and Damare is my PTP pick, so go Arnaud!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,848
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Sagan: "...Everyone is different, we have difference personalities, that's life. That's why life is beautiful, everybody is different. I prefer to make some show for people and how it's going, it's going, it doesn't matter if you win or lose."

Worst war of words ever.

Does he share a speech writer with Mourinho?
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Well they have just started and video of them rolling through didn't show any bare legs and all wearing rain jackets of some sort; looks pretty miserable day to be doing 300km. 8-9 deg C so not too cold and a light wind - but possible rain all day
  • milton50
    dish_dash wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    Probably Kristoff

What did my man do to you?

Well I've got nothing against him as a person. Just when he won my reaction was "meh"
  • Mirco Maestri (Bardiani CSF)
    Lorenzo Rota (Bardiani CSF)
    Evgeny Koberniak (Gazprom Rusvelo)
    Guy Sagiv (Israel Cycling Academy)
    Dennis Van Winden (Israel Cycling Academy)
    Sho Hatsuyama (Nippo-Vini Fantini)
    Charles Planet (Novo Nordisk)
    Matteo Bono (UAE Team Emirates)
    Jacopo Mosca (Wilier Selle Italia)

6 minutes clear after an hour of racing (41km)
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    The consistence of the break plus the light headwind once they hit the coast = sprint finish.

The break doesn't have enough power to make the sprint teams work, so it's up to someone else to make it hard on the Turchino and try and shake a couple of the fast guys and their teammates out.

Will be interesting to see who comes to the front there. Sky look like the team with the most to lose if the peloton isn't sufficiently thinned by the finish, though Bora too would probably prefer to get rid of the top-end sprinters.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,012
    Why was there such a big bunch in 2009 - no-one strong enough to split the peleton properly?
  • bobmcstuff
    Eurosport doesn't seem to have the raw feed today :(
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Why was there such a big bunch in 2009 - no-one strong enough to split the peloton properly?

According to INRNG there were 34 in the bunch in '09, which is pretty average really.

Most of the bunch finishes in the last 20 odd years have been 25-40 riders.

What was maybe a little strange was that 09 was one of the editions with Le Mànie included, which heavily reduced the chance of a bunch finish (only twice out of six editions). Without Le Mànie around 3 out of 4 finishes are bunch sprints.

http://inrng.com/2018/03/milan-sanremo- ... more-33120
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,012
    Ah - I assumed it was unusual because Cav won from the bunch, but I see your point now. I hadn’t clocked that Kwia was more the exception, as the non-sprinter (I know he’s no slouch).
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Which year was it when the weather was truly horrendous? It was the making of the Gabba jersey, loads of pros not sponsored by Castelli using it and blacking out the logo
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Eurosport doesn't seem to have the raw feed today :(
    I tell a lie - it's on now.
  • Which year was it when the weather was truly horrendous? It was the making of the Gabba jersey, loads of pros not sponsored by Castelli using it and blacking out the logo

2013, when Ciolek won and Stannard came very closely to pulling off the win while stuck in the big ring