Britain's response to Russia

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    rjsterry wrote:
    You can't go around freezing private citizen's assets for an alleged state committed act. Especially when the Russian citizen you are discussing owns half of London. Ridiculous suggestion.

And anyhow, do you honestly think Putin et al are the least bit worried about what Britain will - do - its a middle ranking country with no stability, an underfunded military, about to leave its biggest trading market with no plan to head into and can't even afford to support to support its internal requirements let alone pick a fight with anyone. Its biggest ally - the US - refuses to point blame at anyone (except for Tillerson, and he isn't President last time I looked). Its about as effective as the Gambia but without the sunshine.

They are talking about the UN making a statement. Whoopy do. Words.

Nothing will happen - a couple of diplomats will be asked to leave, they will come back in 6 months.

Plus ca change.

With mamba away sulking are you and Blakey competing to see who can be the most pessimistic?
    LMS contest - that could be fun :)

I think I know the winner.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Russian news anchor...

DYAhzd-XcAAIclz.jpg:large
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    you need to cheer up a bit and stop being so pessimistic or you will never get anything done. You are forgetting that we are the 5th largest economy in the world and the the quality of the British fighting man is second to none. I think you will find that the Russian Bear is going to get a scare when the post-Brexit British Lion regains it's roar
    :lol::lol::lol: ...
    :lol::lol::lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Trump just sacked Tillerson, any link between Tillerson saying last night we stand with the UK against Russia on the nerve agent attack!
    Update MSNBC just speculating that Tillerson criticism of Russia over nerve agent attack could have been the tipping point for rump
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Yes.

Trump is not a friend of the UK in this instance.

Glad the UK is burning bridges with Europe at this serene time.
  • bianchimoon
    Yes.

Trump is not a friend of the UK in this instance.

Glad the UK is burning bridges with Europe at this serene time.
    All going perfectly to plan for Putin :(
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • bianchimoon
    US media saying "Sanders refused to back up May's statement yesterday during white house briefing", Tillerson came out with his own statement supporting the UK, end result sacked
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Trump just sacked Tillerson, any link between Tillerson saying last night we stand with the UK against Russia on the nerve agent attack!
    Update MSNBC just speculating that Tillerson criticism of Russia over nerve agent attack could have been the tipping point for rump

Blimey - it's like I almost predicted it.....
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle

You are forgetting that we are the 5th largest economy in the world and the the quality of the British fighting man is second to none. I think you will find that the Russian Bear is going to get a scare when the post-Brexit British Lion regains it's roar

This is so good I can't tell if he's taking the proverbial or not......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Russian news anchor...

Bizarrely the espionage game can be quite tricky sometimes. And don't worry, we do it to them just as much as they do it to us.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bianchimoon
    Russian news anchor...

Bizarrely the espionage game can be quite tricky sometimes. And don't worry, we do it to them just as much as they do it to us.
    are you a secret agent? Should you be telling us this? Remember the warnings from Russians. I'd retire quietly if I was you... but not to Salisbury :wink:
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Glushkov trending.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Matthewfalle
    Russian news anchor...

are you a secret agent? Should you be telling us this? Remember the warnings from Russians. I'd retire quietly if I was you... but not to Salisbury :wink:

Have you ever been to Salisbury? Its awful.

It must have been punishment enough for the poor bleeder to end up there let alone being done in by the whoevers at the same time.

Its like Alsager but with squaddies who aren't allowed in the local pubs.

I can hear him to his daughter now:

Spy dude: (adopt cod Russian spy accent): I have turned double coat for British. We leave Putingrad and go to free country of Mayland. They look after us. Handler bring dog to us. Leave furry hat collection - not needed where we go.

Daughter: (adopt cod Russian daughter accent) Where we go? I understand that Sloane Square has good haberdashers and a quiet populace of Russian billionaires who are also on the run from the Motherland. Perhaps we can get part time jobs in small newsagent to keep us busy? I can marry son of billionaire and spend life snorting coke on yacht inbetween shifts at shop.

Spy dude: No. Too obvious and Abramovich will only buy the shop and turn it into brothel for past managers of Chelsea that will be managed by Ricardo Carvalho. We go to the country and grow beetroots for bortsch and potatoes to make vodka. Also cheaper to find Ford Mondeo in the country so we will fit in better. Nice semi detached house on proletariat housing estate to cover massive pay off from 6 for turning doublecoat agent. (adopt triumphant voice) WE GO TO SALIS-BURY.

Daughter: Ah bugger.

Spy: Could be worse - could be the democratic republic of donkey bumopia. Alsager.

Daughter: Fair dos father, you always had your finger on the pulse.

Spy: I know. Now, let us go for pizza of celebration.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    I think MF has just given the game away that he is a spy and was listening in on the conversations.
  • bianchimoon
    :D:D good story
  • Matthewfalle
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I think MF has just given the game away that he is a spy and was listening in on the conversations.

I'm watching you V-Man. Now put the cup of tea down and get back to work,

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    I think England should follow Scotland's example and not send a team to the FIFA World Cup in Russia.

That would sort it.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    of course we spy on russia. We spy on the americans. the americans spy on us. We definatley spy on the french. Who doesn't spy on the french. Who trust the french. they are the real enemy - source yes prime minster.

Everyone spies on each other so a regular clearout of "cultural Attaches" should be normal.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I've got an exciting weekend planned. I'm going out for a pizza with Vladimir Putin.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Looks like the Russians are now proving their point through this website; login issues and posts disappearing so probably FishFish and his cronies demonstrating their cyber power (either that or the IT expert who flounced off the other week has decided to prove his point on how vulnerable we are to hacking).
  • bianchimoon
    Pross wrote:
    Looks like the Russians are now proving their point through this website; login issues and posts disappearing so probably FishFish and his cronies demonstrating their cyber power (either that or the IT expert who flounced off the other week has decided to prove his point on how vulnerable we are to hacking).
    makes you wonder eh! I posted 3 times last night - all gone!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    No surprise that we're now getting the "we wouldn't be so stupid as to do something so blatant, therefore it's MI5 trying to frame us" line from the embassy.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,628
    bompington wrote:
    No surprise that we're now getting the "we wouldn't be so stupid as to do something so blatant, therefore it's MI5 trying to frame us" line from the embassy.

Pretty easy to see how that would play to a home audience. Always useful to have a foreign baddie to blame all your troubles on. (cf. Brexit).
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bompington
    rjsterry wrote:
    bompington wrote:

Pretty easy to see how that would play to a home audience. Always useful to have a foreign baddie to blame all your troubles on. (cf. Brexit).
    True, but the point is that it's also meant to sow doubt and confusion in our minds.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,224
    Why is Russia so powerful, when it has a GDP about half the size of the UK? If it is spending so much more than us on defence, when does that become unsustainable?
  • bompington
    Why is Russia so powerful, when it has a GDP about half the size of the UK? If it is spending so much more than us on defence, when does that become unsustainable?
    Oh, about 1970 I reckon
  • Random but relevant question...

Is anyone else getting redirected to this thread from http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=13090246 , when they click the icon in "Road General" section, to go to the first unread post in that thread about moving to 28c tyres?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479

Thing is, they're like the nutter down the pub. You know you could deck him in a fair fight but you're also fully aware he's a psycho and would go to lengths you won't so you just humour him and buy him a pint if you make him spill a drop of his.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Pross wrote:

Thing is, they're like the nutter down the pub. You know you could deck him in a fair fight but you're also fully aware he's a psycho and would go to lengths you won't so you just humour him and buy him a pint if you make him spill a drop of his.

also we are buying our drinks in the poncey wine bar called F15 and the nutter is distilling his own booze so his budget goes much further
  • Matthewfalle
    Pross wrote:

Sorry - who is going to deck Russia in a fight?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.