2018 classics thread

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Gap around 1.15-1.20 to the second group.
  • shirley_basso
    down to 1 minute!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Yeah but their finish line is the back of peloton 1; peloton 1's finish line is in Harelbeke.
  • rick_chasey
    Pace is so fast riders in group quick step are struggling to get their kit off apaz.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    Get ye to the E3 thread...
  • shirley_basso
    Live steams down for me now.
  • shirley_basso
    Back up on mobile. Odd.
  • rick_chasey
    So not content with moving Dwars Door Vlaanderen tin an attempt to gut the driedaagse de panne, they’ve shortened it and taken out the Paterberg - Oude kwaremont combo, as well as the haaghoek and the holleweg.

Not impressed.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    So not content with moving Dwars Door Vlaanderen tin an attempt to gut the driedaagse de panne, they’ve shortened it and taken out the Paterberg - Oude kwaremont combo, as well as the haaghoek and the holleweg.

Not impressed.

Quite.

18032511610-hoehenprofil-dwars-door-vlaanderen-2018.jpg
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    Viviani at 12-1 on skybet.

Not a bad shout, given the easier route.
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    Viviani at 12-1 on skybet.

Not a bad shout, given the easier route.

Can't find him at any better than 9/1 now, shame. Looks nailed on for GVA though.
  • rick_chasey
    I still have viviani as 12/1 for DDV on skybet.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Did we miss Gent Wevelgem? though that was a great race. Viviani will be super motivated for this for sure.
  • rick_chasey
    Bad weather in store today.

5 degrees, raining all day. Wind swirling around a lot and growing stronger as the day goes on.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    What do we know about this race? New position in calendar, revised course, shorter distance. A couple of big names missing in Sagan and Gilbert. Is it a build up for the weekend or one for the guys who won't challenge for the bigger prizes?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812

5 degrees, raining all day. Wind swirling around a lot and growing stronger as the day goes on.

Might make up a bit for the naf course changes.

Het Nieuwsblad
    5 stars: van Avermaet
    4 stars: Naesen, Benoot
    3 stars: Lampaert, Vanmarcke, Stuyven
    2 stars: Terpstra, Valverde, Stybar, van Aert
    1 star : Groenewegen, Viviani, Debusschere, Kristoff, Theuns

But will it be raced by the big names or just used as training fodder, as inseine questions?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    Should be full on.

Works well, training wise. Expect to see a number of riders doing an extra 50km of training as soon as they finish.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786

The website is a bit more optimistic/

It will most probably be partly cloudy with showers.

The temperature would rise up to 9 degrees and the wind would be moderate from the south-west to west.
  • shirley_basso
    When does it start and who's showing? I did put a fiver on GVA and Viviani....
  • philbar72 wrote:
    Did we miss Gent Wevelgem? though that was a great race. Viviani will be super motivated for this for sure.

Yes it was but seriously though, what was Viviani up to at the end? Can't win 'em all mate, no need to have a breakdown.
  • philbar72 wrote:

Yes it was but seriously though, what was Viviani up to at the end? Can't win 'em all mate, no need to have a breakdown.

I think it's all this Wolfpack 5 out of 5 stuff getting to them
  • rick_chasey
    That's what you want. It's a good sign for him.
  • poptart242
    philbar72 wrote:

QS would have been on something like 8 in a row too. I really like seeing this sort of thing though, shows how much of a team sport it really is.

Plus he had the legs and was ever so slightly unlucky in the sprint - anyone's guess as to what direction Sep would fade in.
  • poptart242
    edited March 2018
    Johan Museeuw just said that he thinks Vanmarke would have already won a big classic had he been at QS. Can't disagree with that.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Poptart242 wrote:
    Johan Museeuw just said that he thinks Vanmarke would have already one a big classic had he been at QS. Can't disagree with that.
    I reckon Quintana could have won one at Quick Step.

(Probably not really)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    Poptart242 wrote:
    Johan Museeuw just said that he thinks Vanmarke would have already one a big classic had he been at QS. Can't disagree with that.

That goes for pretty much everyone.
  • poptart242
    Ha, fair points all. Big what ifs but I'd love to have seen what he could achieve in their setup.
  • rick_chasey
    Thing is, why would you need Sep when you have Terpstra?

Sep is a diva by all accounts, hence the need to be the main man. Terpstra knows he's not well liked so sucks it up.
  • Poptart242 wrote:
    Plus he had the legs and was ever so slightly unlucky in the sprint - anyone's guess as to what direction Sep would fade in.

OK but go and do it in the bus
    Where you end up in the final straight is at least partially your own responsibility.
    It wasn't like he was cheated out of it by a crash or a mechanical or sitting up at the line when there's still a lap to go.
    I think it was a very public display, together with the handlebar banging, to say that 'That race was mine - if I'd had a clear run at it I'd have definitely beat Sagan.'
    That's far from certain and a bit arrogant, and a bit ungracious towards Saggers.
  • cygnet
    cygnet Posts: 92
    Terpstra has a rep in the peloton for being a bit nasty in his competitivness for who whoever was asking.
    Thing is, why would you need Sep when you have Terpstra?

Sep is a diva by all accounts, hence the need to be the main man. Terpstra knows he's not well liked so sucks it up.

So now I'm confused re Terpstra: If he's not liked in the peloton, but he's sucking it up, working for the team and taking his chances when he gets them, why the viewing public dislike?