Will Froome ride the Giro?

Comments

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    dish_dash wrote:
    Bo Duke wrote:
    For all the style experts on this thread - do you have a brown suit?

Or a green one?

And if you do, black or brown?

I'd love to know what instances these are worn in.

Guy at work wears green suit with brown shoes... he also ties his ties inside out...

It's Friday so I'm going with the blue suit brown shoes combo today.

What the hell is going on over there!

It's outta control... I even had a client meeting today in my blue/brown combo :o
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    dish_dash wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    Bo Duke wrote:

Or a green one?

I'd love to know what instances these are worn in.

Guy at work wears green suit with brown shoes... he also ties his ties inside out...

It's Friday so I'm going with the blue suit brown shoes combo today.

What the hell is going on over there!

It's outta control... I even had a client meeting today in my blue/brown combo :o
    luckily I don't have to wear school uniform.
  • inseine wrote:
    I was quite pleased that I've finally posted a thread that's managed over 10 pages, but it seems to have descended into shoes and antisemitism.

Nothing wrong with a bit of shoe chat. The other thing is tiresome though. Shall we now move on to discuss black socks?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Bo Duke wrote:

Or a green one?

Not a style expert, but with a brown suit I wear brown shoes and occasionally black.

I won't wear brown shoes with a blue, black or grey suit. The amount of times I see brown shoes with a blue or grey suit drives me mental.

Whatever you do, do not move to the Netherlands, or Belgium.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    inseine wrote:
    I was quite pleased that I've finally posted a thread that's managed over 10 pages, but it seems to have descended into shoes and antisemitism.

Nothing wrong with a bit of shoe chat. The other thing is tiresome though. Shall we now move on to discuss black socks?
    With pleasure :D
    cycling = white (detail optional, but always short)
    all other instances = black
    but that's just me
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Bo Duke wrote:

Or a green one?

Not a style expert, but with a brown suit I wear brown shoes and occasionally black.

I won't wear brown shoes with a blue, black or grey suit. The amount of times I see brown shoes with a blue or grey suit drives me mental.

In fairness, whilst in the ABN Amro HQ, I saw more petrol blue suit trousers with black & white snakeskin boots than I did brown shoes.
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Bo Duke wrote:

Or a green one?

In fairness, whilst in the ABN Amro HQ, I saw more petrol blue suit trousers with black & white snakeskin boots than I did brown shoes.

Oh god the petrol blue suit generally, found nowhere else but in NL and Belgium. It's really quite something. I've started counting how many appearances it makes on Nieuwsuur in an evening.

Ooo that reminds me, Twan Huys, who is partial to a subtle check in a suit, has a 55 minute interview with Tom this evening at 21.05 CET.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Bo Duke wrote:

Or a green one?

I find the "no brown" thing amusing, bit old fashioned isn't it? I think blue and brown goes together really well. Grey and brown, not so much.

I actually only own brown work shoes these days... Apart from 2 pairs of steeltoes which are black (one antistatic for certain manufacturing sites and one for building sites...). But to be fair half my office wears jeans.

Have to say I didn't realise anyone still cared, might have to get some black shoes for when I'm seeing clients I don't already know. And if I have any interviews (although if someone turned me down for a job for wearing brown shoes I'm not sure I'd want to work for them anyway).
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Really don’t get the anti brown shoes thing, if you want to wear brown shoes with a blue suit wear them. I quite like how TD looks, far better than Wallace & Gromit anyway who looks like they’ve come to fix the photocopier.

I say this as a style guru who’s currently wearing a light green Nike golf top, black jeans and blue moccasin slippers with a burgundy polo.
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    It's just the socks for me. Black socks brown shoes is a no no
  • This brown shoe discussion is why cycling is the best sport.

I am pro-brown shoes, to be worn with an interesting patterned sock to suggest just a little hint of frivolity.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Brown shoes are for salesmen.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Joelsim wrote:
    Really don’t get the anti brown shoes thing, if you want to wear brown shoes with a blue suit wear them. I quite like how TD looks, far better than Wallace & Gromit anyway who looks like they’ve come to fix the photocopier.

I say this as a style guru who’s currently wearing a light green Nike golf top, black jeans and blue moccasin slippers with a burgundy polo.

It's just a City thing; no brown in town.
  • joelsim
    Joelsim wrote:

It's just a City thing; no brown in town.

Ah. Plenty in advertising.

Not so many in cat sitting, just trainers. I now have 9 pairs in various colours: burgundy, black, sky blue, sand & dark blue, plum, tan, darker blue, light & dark grey, and dark blue trainer boots. :lol:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    This is obviously a very contentious situation with polarised opinions on both sides. It's unfortunate that the Giro has got involved.

For what it's worth I am a supporter of the Two Shoe solution, with the pair of shoes being shared between both black and brown.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • joelsim
    Rumours now that Dumo is definitely riding the Giro.

If that’s the case then whichever climbers turn up are going to have to seriously attack in the mountains.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Very informal culture over here. So ADIDAS Stan Smith navy blue.

With dark red laces.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    Very informal culture over here. So ADIDAS Stan Smith navy blue.
    Me too. I mostly wear brown shoes because I mostly wear jeans to work. Black shoes with black trousers though. And occasionally Olive Adidas Gazelles
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    RichN95 wrote:
    This is obviously a very contentious situation with polarised opinions on both sides. It's unfortunate that the Giro has got involved.

For what it's worth I am a supporter of the Two Shoe solution, with the pair of shoes being shared between both black and brown.

I did once put on one brown and one black shoe with a brown suit :oops:

I won't bore everyone with how, but there is some mitigation...
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I never saw blue over brown to be an issue...

On the cycling front though - what is forums opinion on sock game? From my NL time I am a fan of a strong sock game. Bright, patterned all good. An odd, but somehow matching, pair is on fleek. Since returning to UK (and surveying the guests over the summer) I am disappointing that the UK bike scene has not embraced the sock game.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    ddraver wrote:
    On the cycling front though - what is forums opinion on sock game?
    Wear whatever you want.

The Velowhatever rules is just poser nonsense. Adhering to it is the uncoolest thing you can do.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    WHOBRIS
    Exceptional. Hat!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Bit late to the party but as Iain says isn't brown shoes with a blue suit an Italian thing that has gained traction over here. I quite like the look but it is becoming so much the norm that black shoes is almost rebellious. These days I tend only to wear a suit at weddings or funerals, actually thinking about it just funerals, the last wedding I went to was my own and I wore a jacket and trousers rather than splash out on a suit that wouldn't get any wear.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Rumour that Tom has asked Sidi to produce a special pair of racing shoes in brown.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • RichN95 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    On the cycling front though - what is forums opinion on sock game?
    Wear whatever you want.

The Velowhatever rules is just poser nonsense. Adhering to it is the uncoolest thing you can do.

:o
  • Because I got side-tracked....and am too lazy to look back...have we had a discussion about the impact on Thomas Geraint's ambitions?

(I maintain he should return to trying to win Flanders, but hey ho)
  • ^for once, his ambitions crashed before the race itself.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I did think they might chuck him the Vuelta, but it's usually got too much mega-steep stuff. And if Froome does the Giro-Tour, he might go for the triple...

I wish Geraint had concentrated on the one-dayers. Flanders is made for him.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • joelsim
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    I did think they might chuck him the Vuelta, but it's usually got too much mega-steep stuff. And if Froome does the Giro-Tour, he might go for the triple...

I wish Geraint had concentrated on the one-dayers. Flanders is made for him.

Realistically he has far more of a chance with Flanders than he does in a GT. At best he’s a top 10 GT rider.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Because I got side-tracked....and am too lazy to look back...have we had a discussion about the impact on Thomas Geraint's ambitions?

(I maintain he should return to trying to win Flanders, but hey ho)

I think we'd all love him to have a good crack at the classics. Even with Rowe injury Sky have a classy classics team with Stannard, G, Kwia, Moscon (OK, you can't actually call him classy, but you know wat I mean).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format