Will Froome ride the Giro?

Comments

• Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Coach H wrote:
    Very informal culture over here. So ADIDAS Stan Smith navy blue.

Brown shoes I can live with, coloured socks I can live with BUT Stan Smiths have GREEN trim!

Anything else is a modern abomination.

(Side note: I bought my first pair in Paris in '84 as a 13 year old on a school trip. Everyone thought I was mad for not buying Puma G. Vilas like they all were. I think they will all agree now I was right :wink: )

Oh we're not talking trim here. They're navy blue brushed leather finish. Laces my own touch. I laugh in the face of trainer purists! :lol:

These? Truly shocking.

stan-smith-blue-e3719.jpg

Oh my :shock: I'm going to have to scrub my eyeballs with bleach!

Blue Adidas should be Campus and Campus only :roll:
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • In the same way that Samba should only be black leather with white stripes. Not the suede versions that are now available.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Coach H wrote:
    Very informal culture over here. So ADIDAS Stan Smith navy blue.

Brown shoes I can live with, coloured socks I can live with BUT Stan Smiths have GREEN trim!

Anything else is a modern abomination.

(Side note: I bought my first pair in Paris in '84 as a 13 year old on a school trip. Everyone thought I was mad for not buying Puma G. Vilas like they all were. I think they will all agree now I was right :wink: )

Oh we're not talking trim here. They're navy blue brushed leather finish. Laces my own touch. I laugh in the face of trainer purists! :lol:

These? Truly shocking.

stan-smith-blue-e3719.jpg

Good god. :shock:
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    No. Not those.
    No orange on them for starters, the toe isn't some shiny stuff, and the heel trim is white.
    Also, more nubuck than suede.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • joelsim
    No. Not those.
    No orange on them for starters, the toe isn't some shiny stuff, and the heel trim is white.
    Also, more nubuck than suede.

no idea how to paste an image, just not working.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/50/d1/ef/50d1 ... adidas.jpg
  • joelsim
    50d1efa60ec443a569ec384f8285abcd--adidas-runners-sneakers-adidas.jpg
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    That's pretty much them, yeah, though they're badged with Stan Smith instead of White Mountaineering.

And I swapped the laces out for some oxblood/burgundy ones.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972
    inseine wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Not until he is finished attempting TdF wins.
    you might want to check the news
    I will confess to switching off to racing until the spring. :oops: Okay, he is riding, but I doubt he will be putting himself into the red to win. TDF wins are more important.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    PBlakeney wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    I will confess to switching off to racing until the spring. :oops: Okay, he is riding, but I doubt he will be putting himself into the red to win. TDF wins are more important.

Froome always rides to win. Whilst he'll hope for the armchair ride he got in this year's Tour I don't think he'll be able to stop himself going into the red if that's what it'll take.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Okay, he is riding, but I doubt he will be putting himself into the red to win.

Your'e correct. It will be pink. :D
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Joelsim wrote:
    50d1efa60ec443a569ec384f8285abcd--adidas-runners-sneakers-adidas.jpg

Still very wrong. THESE are the only acceptable Stan Smiths.

B49618_01_standard.jpg?sw=840&sh=840&strip=false
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Oxblood laces on blue Stan Smiths...dear God. If you must wear the trainer equivalent of Conti Gator Skins, never wear out and never feel quite as nice as the alternatives, get the white with green. But far better get some white leather Sambas, more comfy and once they acquire a bit of patina at least as good looking and more suited if you ever want to play any sport in them.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Froome always rides to win. Whilst he'll hope for the armchair ride he got in this year's Tour I don't think he'll be able to stop himself going into the red if that's what it'll take.

I agree - aside from one or two appearance fee races in the US, Froome has pretty much personified what one might call a "proper racer". Watching him and Nibali trade blows on the cobbles in 2015 was incredible
  • Oxblood laces on blue Stan Smiths...dear God. If you must wear the trainer equivalent of Conti Gator Skins, never wear out and never feel quite as nice as the alternatives, get the white with green. But far better get some white leather Sambas, more comfy and once they acquire a bit of patina at least as good looking and more suited if you ever want to play any sport in them.

FFS NO!! Sambas should be black leather with white stripes and no other ridiculous colour or combination of colours.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • joelsim
    No trainers should be white unless you buy them specifically for playing sport.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Oh god, are there "rules" for trainers now?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    VPdJTDE.gif

So aside from the fact I will find this ^^ kind of riding detracting from what is the prettiest race of the year, and the endless myopia that his presence creates when it comes to any other team is hugely irritating, it is pretty cool that he's going for both the triple and the double....

Just a shame I find his riding just so awful. I mean. Ugh. Awful.
  • Joelsim wrote:
    No trainers should be white unless you buy them specifically for playing sport or you're coming out by wearing them with ball-buster "tailored" shorts or pastel coloured trousers that don't reach your ankles.

That!
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    BigMat wrote:
    Only in London. You know what they're like.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

What, remain voting heroes?

Yes.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Joelsim wrote:

You've got that arse about face, a football trainer for playing the sport should really be black, for casual wear white Sambas are acceptable in winter because they are leather and look better than black, however if you want to give the impression you used to be a Glen Hoddle type flashy footballer in your youth you might choose to play in white, coloured suede ok for Summer casual wear. Happy to help.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

What, remain voting heroes?

Yes.
    London 59.9% Remain
    Cardiff 60.0% Remain

We can do our own version of metropolitan elitism, thank you very much. Just don't worry about daps.
  • rick_chasey
    Haha fair enough.

In fairness, my borough is half the population of the whole of Cardiff, but anywayz.

I look forward to Cardiff's role in helping set the fashion trends for the West in the years to come.
  • Waterproof it is then.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Manchester was 60.4% do we win something?

Although technically I now have a Stockport postcode where it was only 52.3%.

From what I can tell Manchester chav trainer rules dictate the wearing of white trainers which appear to be brand new at all times.
  • RichN95.
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Manchester was 60.4% do we win something?
    The Premier League usually
  • joelsim
    Joelsim wrote:

You've got that ars* about face, a football trainer for playing the sport should really be black, for casual wear white Sambas are acceptable in winter because they are leather and look better than black, however if you want to give the impression you used to be a Glen Hoddle type flashy footballer in your youth you might choose to play in white, coloured suede ok for Summer casual wear. Happy to help.

Yes I agree with you on football trainers, but fine for running, CrossFit, tennis, squash etc.

Not acceptable for fashion purposes. I’m happy to report I’ve never owned a pair of white trainers that didn’t have the sole purpose of sporting activity. And never will.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Joelsim wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

You've got that ars* about face, a football trainer for playing the sport should really be black, for casual wear white Sambas are acceptable in winter because they are leather and look better than black, however if you want to give the impression you used to be a Glen Hoddle type flashy footballer in your youth you might choose to play in white, coloured suede ok for Summer casual wear. Happy to help.

Yes I agree with you on football trainers, but fine for running, CrossFit, tennis, squash etc.

Not acceptable for fashion purposes. I’m happy to report I’ve never owned a pair of white trainers that didn’t have the sole purpose of sporting activity. And never will.

I misread your previous post. Thought you were saying "No, trainers should be white unless you buy them specifically for playing sport". What you actually meant is fine, albeit there should be no rules. I mean technically haven't we breached all sartorial rules as soon as we wear trainers for non-sporting activity?
  • joelsim
    BigMat wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

I misread your previous post. Thought you were saying "No, trainers should be white unless you buy them specifically for playing sport". What you actually meant is fine, albeit there should be no rules. I mean technically haven't we breached all sartorial rules as soon as we wear trainers for non-sporting activity?

Hmm, no. Wearing shoes with jeans is breaking sartorial rules.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Joelsim wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Hmm, no. Wearing shoes with jeans is breaking sartorial rules.

Which rules are these??