Will Froome ride the Giro?

inseine
inseine Posts: 5,786
edited January 2018 in Pro race
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/merckx- ... o-ditalia/

So, Merckx says he should. If he did, not only would he equal Merckx and Hinault but presumably he go on to ride the Tour with the possibility of bagging 4 GTs in a row!
I might be this year or never with the extra week between the two events.

Comments

• He has stated that his priority is to defend his Tour title and go on to win a fifth Tour. Doing the Giro will almost certainly detract from that. In 2013, Froome rode Spring events with a goal on wining to show to his team he could lead - he has not needed to prove himself in such a way in years since so has had a fairly laid back build up to Romandie and the Dauphine. You could argue that the last few years he has used all pre-Tour races for training purposes as he has done few on form.

I really don't see him doing the Giro for a few reasons:

1. It does not register on the sporting radar in UK - Sky need and get Tour exposure. They did try putting Sir Wig into the Giro on the back of the Tour win and that was not successful. This is no secret - Sky have said as much - the season is about the Tour and CF is their best hope of winning it.
    2. Doing the Giro will affect his Tour performance unless he uses it for training and supports someone else. Can't see him doing that.
    3. The weather for the Giro can be pretty grim and cold. Froome does not thrive in those conditions. Illness picked up could impact upon his Tour defence.

I personally think that we won't see Froome at the Giro until he has tried and failed to defend his Tour title. So he will defend in 2018 - if he wins, he will defend in 2019 and that would delay a Giro until 2020... I don't see him doing the Giro until 2019 at the earliest, and that would only be if say Dumoulin beats him this summer.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    no.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    No.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    edited November 2017
    I'll say no. But there are two factors this year which may tempt him.

1. It's probably the only chance he'll have to win all three Grand Tours back to back

2. There is an extra week between the Giro and Tour which may be make doing both more viable (or it equally it may make it harder, I don’t know)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    No. I think he will focus on the tour and G will be given another chance of leading sky at the giro.
  • A day shy of six weeks between Giro and Tour, a day shy of four weeks between Tour and Vuelta.
    It would appear the logical opportunity.
    Plus the possibility of winning four in a row, but the stumbling block be that it's the all important number 5.....
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Sincerely hope not.
  • inseine
    Both Merckx and Hinault did the double with around 4 weeks between the Giro and Tour so it should be better for Froome (assuming more time is better). Interestingly neither did the Tour the year of the Vuelta win, which is certainly not what Froome would want. The triple clearly ranks very lowly compared to 5 Tours.
  • redvision wrote:
    No. I think he will focus on the tour and G will be given another chance of falling off his bike at the giro.

FTFY

:D
  • Lookyhere wrote:
    Sincerely hope not.

What Lookyhere says
  • Yes he should & I'm sure he will, just not next year
  • inseine
    Lookyhere wrote:
    Sincerely hope not.

What Lookyhere says
    Go on, I'll bite. Why not ?!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,718
    Her favourite race, innit ;).
  • Her favourite race, innit ;).

Quite so
  • rick_chasey
    When tour number five is up for grabs, can't see why he would do the giro first.
  • inseine

Quite so
    and SKY/ Froome would ruin it?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    When tour number five is up for grabs, can't see why he would do the giro first.
    Yep, he's not going to do the 2018 giro...
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    inseine wrote:

Quite so

RR2 is not a fan of our Christopher :D

He won't do it. It's a romantic idea, but Sky don't do romance and Froome won't compromise his efforts for Tour number 5. If he wins the Tour next year then I think he'll go for the Giro/Tour double in 2019.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    inseine wrote:

Quite so

RR2 is not a fan of our Christopher :D

He won't do it. It's a romantic idea, but Sky don't do romance and Froome won't compromise his efforts for Tour number 5. If he wins the Tour next year then I think he'll go for the Giro/Tour double in 2019.

Will he skip the Vuelta in 2018?

I'd have thought he's more likely to do Tour '18, Vuelta '18 then Giro '19.
    If Giro '19 goes tits up he can switch to the Tour.

There must coming a tipping point where in a Giro to complete the set (possibly holding all at the same time) > another Tour.

Worth noting that Froome will be 33 for Tour '18 - Evans was considered old at 34 when he won in 2011.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • inseine wrote:

Quite so

Him riding it...certainly

The Classics and the Giro are a Froome-free zone for me, and I'd like to keep it that way
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I imagine there’s a bigger chance of Froome riding the Grand National than there is of him riding the Giro.

5 Tours.
  • inseine
    I'm interested to see what he does next year. If he doesn't do the Giro, does he do the Vuelta again and then try for the triple with the Vuelta in 2019, or go back to the old plan of trying to win the earlier season races. I think it's a huge ask but two more years and he could be near the top of the all time GT winners list. It'd be doubly impressive given his list of near misses.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,604
    He’s hinted at the Tour of Britain in 18. I expect a fifth tour win and ToB next year with the Giro in 19 - all things being equal.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    It wouldn't completely shock me if he rode it next year but yes more likely the year after if he can equal the record of 5 Tours. I don't know if Froome has become less risk averse as he has got older or whether he's just gained clout within the team re. tactics but he does seem to ride with greater panache with each passing season - a Giro - Tour double attempt would fit with that direction of travel.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    A slightly different question... will he do 2 GT's in 2018? Will be defend the Vuelta?

Would be disappointing if he only rode one.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    His main target is The Tour, we know that.

Given the route only includes a 31km ITT, and also includes cobbles again - and of course he’s clearly not as far ahead of his rivals on climbs any more - I really can’t see him going for the Giro. He’ll ride the Vuelta I’m sure as it’s conditioning for 2019.
  • RichN95.
    De Telegraaf is reporting that sources at the Giro organisation have told them that he's going to do the Giro.
  • inseine
    Joelsim wrote:
    His main target is The Tour, we know that.

Given the route only includes a 31km ITT, and also includes cobbles again - and of course he’s clearly not as far ahead of his rivals on climbs any more - I really can’t see him going for the Giro. He’ll ride the Vuelta I’m sure as it’s conditioning for 2019.
    If he doesn't fess up, I guess we'll know which way he's going if he wins the Sun Tour or not.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    De Telegraaf is reporting that sources at the Giro organisation have told them that he's going to do the Giro.

Link?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Link?
    https://www.telesport.nl/artikel/129448 ... ro-en-tour