Will Froome ride the Giro?

Comments

• inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    So now it's a done deal, what's his race program going to be? Would love it to be the same as Dumoulins, with Strade Bianche, Liege and Milan Sanremo. Tirreno seems like a cert?
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    inseine wrote:
    So now it's a done deal, what's his race program going to be? Would love it to be the same as Dumoulins, with Strade Bianche, Liege and Milan Sanremo. Tirreno seems like a cert?

Froome?

It’s reported to be Andalusia or Algarve followed by Tirreno and Tour of the Alps. Then Giro and some Teide, which could mean no Dauphiné.
  • joelsim
    Latest speculation has the following as riding.

Froome
    Dumo
    Zaka
    Meintjes
    López
    Landa
    Pinot
    Keldermerckx
    Brambilla
  • inseine
    Joelsim wrote:

Froome
    Dumo
    Zaka
    Meintjes
    López
    Landa
    Pinot
    Keldermerckx
    Brambilla
    Cyclingnews have Nibs (can't see it), Chaves and Valverde as well. Can't see Dumoulin riding it. He says he's made his mind up but will reveal all on Jan 5th.
    It's not really a field that will worry Froome.
  • joelsim
    inseine wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Froome
    Dumo
    Zaka
    Meintjes
    López
    Landa
    Pinot
    Keldermerckx
    Brambilla
    Cyclingnews have Nibs (can't see it), Chaves and Valverde as well. Can't see Dumoulin riding it. He says he's made his mind up but will reveal all on Jan 5th.
    It's not really a field that will worry Froome.

Dumo appears to be a cert.

Movistar really would do well to have Landa there to tire Froome out ahead of the Tour.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Joelsim wrote:

Froome
    Dumo
    Zaka
    Meintjes
    López
    Landa
    Pinot
    Keldermerckx
    Brambilla
    Dumoulin and Kelderman for Sunweb? Leaves little for the Tour. Just Matthews.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inseine
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Froome
    Dumo
    Zaka
    Meintjes
    López
    Landa
    Pinot
    Keldermerckx
    Brambilla
    Dumoulin has to do the Tour
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    inseine wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Froome
    Dumo
    Zaka
    Meintjes
    López
    Landa
    Pinot
    Keldermerckx
    Brambilla
    Dumoulin has to do the Tour

Yep. I reckon he'll give the Giro a miss, with that route and Froome going for it.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    So, am I the only one who thinks the route is a bit underwhelming? Not much altitude, and while there are a bunch of summit finishes there are also a bunch of pretty flat stages.
  • joelsim
    dish_dash wrote:
    So, am I the only one who thinks the route is a bit underwhelming? Not much altitude, and while there are a bunch of summit finishes there are also a bunch of pretty flat stages.

You could always go and ride it and then report your findings.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    dish_dash wrote:

2007 Giro was good fun and similar in route.
  • inseine
    dish_dash wrote:
    Through in à TT and thats kind of the dictionary definition of a GT isn't it? Cycling News seem to think there à were only 6 stages for the sprinters and even then a couple are more Sagan than Cav friendly.
  • inseine wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    Through in à TT and thats kind of the dictionary definition of a GT isn't it? Cycling News seem to think there à were only 6 stages for the sprinters and even then a couple are more Sagan than Cav friendly.

Quite.

G18_T04_Caltagirone_alt_WEB-1.jpg

G18_T05_SantaNinfa_alt_WEB-1.jpg

G18_T10_GualdoTadino_alt_WEB.jpg

G18_T11_Osimo_alt_WEB.jpg
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • joelsim
    Those look more like GC stages!
  • joelsim
    There are several flatter stages than those Huw.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972
    Not until he is finished attempting TdF wins.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • joelsim
    PBlakeney wrote:

It's confirmed that he's riding the Giro.
  • inseine
    PBlakeney wrote:
    you might want to check the news
  • Joelsim wrote:
    There are several flatter stages than those Huw.

Yer, but wasn't the point being made that there were only flat or mountain stages?
    Maybe I misunderstood.
  • inseine
    The Cycling tips podcast had an interesting take on the whole matter (admittedly recorded last monday), saying they though Jerusalem were paying him (note, not team) 2 mil, and he'd just take the money and climb off after a few days.
    We've all been assuming he's ride to win, so it's an interesting take.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    inseine wrote:
    The Cycling tips podcast had an interesting take on the whole matter (admittedly recorded last monday), saying they though Jerusalem were paying him (note, not team) 2 mil, and he'd just take the money and climb off after a few days.

That would be quite rude really. Besides, if other top riders swerve the Giro because he's riding it then it would be daft not to ride to win.

I can see him climbing off if someone take a big chunk of time though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    inseine wrote:
    They sounded like people unable to admit they were wrong about Froome not doing the Giro.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inseine
    RichN95 wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    They sounded like people unable to admit they were wrong about Froome not doing the Giro.
    This is true, a bit of an alternative view. The part about the cash was new, if true .
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    inseine wrote:

That would be quite rude really. Besides, if other top riders swerve the Giro because he's riding it then it would be daft not to ride to win.

I can see him climbing off if someone take a big chunk of time though.

Froome doesn't climb off unless crocked.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    Meh... name me three stages that really excite you about the 2018 Giro. Classic GT it maybe, not sure it's a classic Giro route. I for one will miss the high mountain stages... little above 2000m... and while there are some lumpy stages, there are a fair few pretty flat ones. If I were a sprinter I'd be heading to the Giro...
  • dish_dash wrote:
    Meh... name me three stages that really excite you about the 2018 Giro. Classic GT it maybe, not sure it's a classic Giro route. I for one will miss the high mountain stages... little above 2000m... and while there are some lumpy stages, there are a fair few pretty flat ones. If I were a sprinter I'd be heading to the Giro...

No proper Dolomite stage is definitely a disappointment.
    I've learned not to get too excited about how stages look.
    Finistere could be the beginning an epic or it could neutralise all bar the final 2 kms.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Very informal culture over here. So ADIDAS Stan Smith navy blue.

Brown shoes I can live with, coloured socks I can live with BUT Stan Smiths have GREEN trim!

Anything else is a modern abomination.

(Side note: I bought my first pair in Paris in '84 as a 13 year old on a school trip. Everyone thought I was mad for not buying Puma G. Vilas like they all were. I think they will all agree now I was right :wink: )
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Coach H wrote:

Brown shoes I can live with, coloured socks I can live with BUT Stan Smiths have GREEN trim!

(Side note: I bought my first pair in Paris in '84 as a 13 year old on a school trip. Everyone thought I was mad for not buying Puma G. Vilas like they all were. I think they will all agree now I was right :wink: )

Oh we're not talking trim here. They're navy blue brushed leather finish. Laces my own touch. I laugh in the face of trainer purists! :lol:
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    gsk82 wrote:
    Froome doesn't climb off unless crocked.

Yes I'm sure he's going into this to win it. It may be interesting if it becomes apparent he can't win it though, maybe he loses a lot of time for whatever reason, I would half expect him to climb off and prepare for the Tour rather than say turn his aim to stage wins or the mountains jersey.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Coach H wrote:

Oh we're not talking trim here. They're navy blue brushed leather finish. Laces my own touch. I laugh in the face of trainer purists! :lol:

These? Truly shocking.

stan-smith-blue-e3719.jpg
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris