Vuelta 2017:Stage 17: Villadiego - Los Machucos. Monumento Vaca Pasiega 180.5KM *Spoilers*

12345679»

Comments

• salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

I've missed my point? Thanks for making me aware of that.

If you need it spelling out, racing on wide, well surfaced climbs of reasonable gradient rarely produces the excitement we saw yesterday.

Yes there is some increased risk but this is professional sport and it relies on attracting viewers otherwise the riders will be paying to race like I have to.

I don't need anything spelling out. We'll have to agree to disagree on whether this was of acceptable risk for the riders.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I bloody loved it

I'll bet you did :wink:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • r0bh wrote:
    Drones: Pray, how are they going to replace the security bikes?
    A drone would not have saved Geraint Thomas's Giro.

How many security bikes did you see on the final climb yesterday versus how many tv/photo motos did you see? My perception (which may or may not be correct) is that either there are more motos on la Vuelta than on le Tour and/or they are less well controlled. It's pretty common to see a cavalcade of motos around the lead rider on la Vuelta, so much so that it's sometimes hard to pick out the rider! I just don't remember seeing the same thing at le Tour in recent years.

The reason I brought up security bikes was because I remembered this topic from last year.

CevFn2vWQAAm7g4.jpg

So drones could, in theory drop the number by 5.
    60% of motor bikes being involved in security.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    I bloody loved it

I'll bet you did :wink:

Hee hee

Seriously, it were greet
  • r0bh wrote:
    Drones: Pray, how are they going to replace the security bikes?
    A drone would not have saved Geraint Thomas's Giro.

How many security bikes did you see on the final climb yesterday versus how many tv/photo motos did you see? My perception (which may or may not be correct) is that either there are more motos on la Vuelta than on le Tour and/or they are less well controlled. It's pretty common to see a cavalcade of motos around the lead rider on la Vuelta, so much so that it's sometimes hard to pick out the rider! I just don't remember seeing the same thing at le Tour in recent years.

The reason I brought up security bikes was because I remembered this topic from last year.

CevFn2vWQAAm7g4.jpg

So drones could, in theory drop the number by 5.
    60% of motor bikes being involved in security.

Umm, how we gonna get those sideways, front, back etc at rider level shots, Saddles? Cos I'm tell you that drones flying at head height next to the riders aint happening
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194
    Umm, how we gonna get those sideways, front, back etc at rider level shots, Saddles? Cos I'm tell you that drones flying at head height next to the riders aint happening

But are those the best shots, or just the shots we are used to because they are the only shots you can get from a camera moto?

Drones probably least likely to happen at the Vuelta as will reduce the number of motos the home riders can draft off :lol:
  • Camera drones improve rider safety.............

Drone-crash.gif
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,631
    r0bh wrote:

But are those the best shots, or just the shots we are used to because they are the only shots you can get from a camera moto?

It's an interesting point. In football, penalties are always shown from the normal camera on the half-way line despite their being a much better camera which is used for the replay. Fans get used to their camera angles.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Just back from a long internet-free break and not been able to following the race. Browsing through page count, am I right in thinking this is the stage to watch so far?
  • Richmond Racer 2
    Richmond Racer 2 Posts: 4,698
    edited September 2017
    Right

Coverage just from overhead would pall v quickly. One dimensional, totally remote from the riders. difficult for viewers to convey the effort and struggle

Drones need operators. Operators need to be in a fixed spot for satellite triangulation innit. Operators cant be in the race convoy for example, or in moving vehicles. Drones cant go as high as helis can, so the wonderful epic landscape shots arent as doable. Helis also have pilots as well as the cameramen scanning the landscapes and race-in-landscape, and so are more flexible and varied in what they can provide in the way of images.

Comparing the strategy for sporting pics and angles with footie, where the sporting event is in a highly controlled, contained, frankly boring environment, is missing the point. Cycling appeals to viewers with the way it is set in an ever-changing epic landscape - but one in which there are certain things outside your control.

Drone technology IS moving quickly, so yes, they'll probably resolve current limiting factors in the future, but for some time to come drones can only supplement, not replace
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Ah but with the Zwift Tour coming we won't have to worry about all of this anyway...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,572
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Just back from a long internet-free break and not been able to following the race. Browsing through page count, am I right in thinking this is the stage to watch so far?

There's been quite a few good stages - Froome gaining bits on some and losing on others, it's kept the race in the balance. The podium places have been all over the place too with different riders going well in different weeks.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Drone technology IS moving quickly, so yes, they'll probably resolve current limiting factors in the future, but for some time to come drones can only supplement, not replace

This was the point I was making before you quoted your drone operating mate about how what I was saying was wrong...
  • bobmcstuff wrote:

This was the point I was making before you quoted your drone operating mate about how what I was saying was wrong...

Yes, you are

*slams the door on the internet*

Huff
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Yes, you are

*slams the door on the internet*

Huff

:)