Vuelta 2017:Stage 17: Villadiego - Los Machucos. Monumento Vaca Pasiega 180.5KM *Spoilers*

Comments

• twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Froome still has what 1min 18?

How much did Nibbles expend to take that time? What price will he have paid for it?
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    r0bh wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Froome loses over a minute, not sure what to make of that it seemed a misjudgement more than him struggling as he hardly seemed out of breath at the end.

Not sure I agree with that, looked to me like he was struggling to hold Nieve's wheel
    Yeah, you could see Nieve had to constantly check over his shoulder to avoid dropping him.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730
    Whats Fri's stage like?

PROFIL.png
  • rick_chasey
    Weather forecast for Sat might be more relevant.
  • twist83 wrote:

How much did Nibbles expend to take that time? What price will he have paid for it?

There's not much to worry them tomorrow or Friday, so he'll be able to recover somewhat... and he'll be happy to have had Froome that far behind with Angliru to come. Froome's to lose obviously, but he's not invincible on the crazy steep stuff this year.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    twist83 wrote:

From the look of Froome, no more energy than Froome burnt trying to hang in there.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Really enjoyed that :)

Terrifying decent, bonkers hill, amazing win for Aqua Blue, Contador did great, GC gets more interesting. What's not to love?
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Really enjoyed that :)

Terrifying decent, bonkers hill, amazing win for Aqua Blue, Contador did great, GC gets more interesting. What's not to love?

Carlton Kirby...
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,863
    well everyone is going to have a pop on the angilru. showed a bit too much weakness...

defo cant afford to lose silly time over the two rolly stages. but sky are good at holding on to time.

bertie could have probably made the podium if he hadn't blown himself up on the sierra nevada.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Dabber wrote:
    twist83 wrote:

From the look of Froome, no more energy than Froome burnt trying to hang in there.

I personally still think Nibbles dug deeper than Froome. But I guess we will see. Even with two relatively easy days it will still be tough and it depends what happens on these days as well.

Either way will be very interesting.
  • dish_dash wrote:
    Carlton Kirby...
    True, can't have it all I guess :mrgreen:
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,637
    dish_dash wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Froome loses over a minute, not sure what to make of that it seemed a misjudgement more than him struggling as he hardly seemed out of breath at the end.

Not sure I agree with that, looked to me like he was struggling to hold Nieve's wheel

All the others pedaled to the line... Froome stopped from about 10m out and coasted in... either the motor kicked in or he was knackered.

Or he knew he would get the same time as his domestique. I agree he was knackered though.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Ultimately, to win the this race, Nibali has to do the same again. Twice
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dish_dash
    RichN95 wrote:

yeah... be nice if he did tho!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,637
    RichN95 wrote:

Or, do it once on a bigger hill such as the Angliru.

Still, I think it was more Froome's performance that was noteworthy today rather than Nibali.
  • rick_chasey
    Don't underestimate the shark in week 3.

He is a 3rd week animal.

Froome is not (nor has he had to be).
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Still, I think it was more Froome's performance that was noteworthy today rather than Nibali.

Today's hill was at low altitude and steep. The Angliru gets up above 1500m and is long. If Froome didn't have such a quality reputation I'd think I rider that lost 42s today could lose 1m30s on Angliru. But this is Froome (not Steven Kruijswijk) so I think he'll hold on.

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • Crazy mad road.
    Great win for Aqua Blue.
    Bertie motopaced up that climb - s'pose inevitable as it is Spain (Robert Millar being misdirected so he didn't win the stage and probably the race). Amazing how Bertie has suddenly got so much better than he has been for the past few years - hopefully just the emotion improving his performance.
    Froome looked cream crackered.
  • RichN95.
    edited September 2017
    dish_dash wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Would it? Nibali seems a bit of a dick
  • RichN95.
    TheBigBean wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I consider that doing it twice, back-to-back
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    Crazy mad road.
    Great win for Aqua Blue.
    Bertie motopaced up that climb - s'pose inevitable as it is Spain (Robert Millar being misdirected so he didn't win the stage and probably the race). Amazing how Bertie has suddenly got so much better than he has been for the past few years - hopefully just the emotion improving his performance.

I'm not one to shout doper... but Contador in this race is unbelievable. He's done it before and what's he got to lose?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • rick_chasey
    gsk82 wrote:

I'm not one to shout doper... but Contador in this race is unbelievable.

What, 5th on GC in the least important GT?

In what way is that unbelievable?
  • dish_dash wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Hell to the yeah
  • gsk82 wrote:
    Crazy mad road.
    Great win for Aqua Blue.

I'm not one to shout doper... but Contador in this race is unbelievable. He's done it before and what's he got to lose?

bullsheeet
  • I had to go out with 40kms to go, so just caught up.
    A great win for Aqua Blue!

Nibali has a chance, now. Tomorrow is potentially another day on which to attack Sky, before the Angliru.
    Froome is definitely weakening. He couldn't even hold Nieve's wheel at the end.
    Amazing ride from Contador, who's form is going in the opposite direction, having raced pretty much the same, July schedule.

Los Machucos joins this place in froome's hall of infamy.

christopher-froome-samedi-a-l-alitport-de-peyragudes-au-terme-de-sa-reconnaissance-de-la-12e-etape-du-tour-de-france-qui-reliera-pau-a-peyragudes-le-jeudi-12-juillet.jpg
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dish_dash
    RichN95 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I forgot, I takes the smart guy to spot the dick.
  • RichN95.
    dish_dash wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

You have to be that smart

nibalicar.gif

Amongst other things.
  • dish_dash
    meh... and of course only nice guys try to drop their team leader...

But come on... for the sport, wouldn't it be better if this Vuelta resulted in Nibali rather than Froome getting a fifth GT?
  • RichN95.
    edited September 2017
    dish_dash wrote:
    meh... and of course only nice guys try to drop their team leader...

But come on... for the sport, wouldn't it be better if this Vuelta resulted in Nibali rather than Froome getting a fifth GT?
    No. I think a Tour de France winner going on to win the Vuelta is better for the sport. It's not only a big historic achievement, it encourages more people to ride both for GC. Remember before Froome, Carlos Sastre was the only Tour winner ever to ride the Vuelta afterwards.
  • rick_chasey
    dish_dash wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

VlgXG.gif