TV Series - Reviews and Recommendations......

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589

Yep, I think it's on iPlayer so will download the next one. The ranty political bit was overdone in the first episode but I'm hoping it reached a change in direction at the end of the episode.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642

I watched The Gold recently which is about the Brink's-Mat robbery. Apparently, a second series has been commissioned which confuses me, because there was only one robbery.

Anyway, one thing I learnt is that half the gold has never been accounted for and at least three of the robbers were never caught. Maybe one day the full story will be told.

• Pross

Now watched episode 2 of The Way. It still feels like something put together as a project by film students. I couldn’t quite work out why they used Monmouth as a substitute for Cheltenham especially when filming it in the town square that is pretty recognisable. A bit of nepotism from Sheen with his cousin in one role.

Less Leftie Union ranting this time but it is still pretty unsubtle political commentary. It also feels like a bit of an acid trip at times and I’m half expecting it to end with it having all been someone’s dream. Really still not sure what to make of it.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738

Last series of Curb ever is just as good as ever.

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,006

I guess it was discussed here before, but I've just watched series 1 of Kin. Enjoyed it suffiecently to try series 2.

• Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 397

Bill Bailey Pub walks.

Also has the same music as the Movistar cycling documentary.

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941

Enjoyed One Day on Netflix a lot more than I thought I was going to.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,935

The Gentlemen

Gray

Both on Netflix. First slightly bonkers but good fund. The second intriguing

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272

rewatching the all ER series on Channel 4… just as good as 30 years ago… it really aged well. You’d only notice it’s not recent because of the lack of smart phones.

left the forum March 2023
  • ugo.santalucia

villain in series two is almost as good as the villain in series one… the finale is somewhat underwhelming though

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805

Undoubtably going to be a series three though which will open up more villains.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ugo.santalucia

probably.. I found the finale a bit obvious… the killer actor is a big shot and to that point his role had been pretty much inexistent in the series, so I expected him to have his moment. Some loose ends, not quite sure what Michael’s dughter is doing in this series, seems like a pointless character. Overall fewer murders than in series one, after a promising start in episode one… it dragged on a bit and was saved by the superb acting of the villain.

• tailwindhome

30 days free trial on Amazon

Watch should I be watching

Clarkson's Farm

Reacher

Already on the list

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross

Bosch if you've never watched them - you'll probably struggle to get them all in within the trial though. Best thing there's been on Prime IMHO.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270

The Boys. It's great from season 1, ep1, scene 1.

Jack Ryan is nonsense where the good guy seems to commit a lot of war crimes.

Citadel is an even higher level of nonsense.

Fargo is all on there now too if you haven't already.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738

Anything good on Apple TV? I have 3 free months but not sure it's worth the faff.

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,420

The Boys is the best watch on Amazon.

The Grand tour specials are on there along with James May’s travel series.

Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270

Slow Horses is worth the effort. Superb.

Not watched anything else on there, I've got one month left of my free offer.

• Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 397

The reviews of the Dick Turpin spoof were pretty good.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391

If you've not watched Masters of the Air on Apple I suspect a history buff like you will enjoy that...

Can anyone reccomend anything on Disco+ now i've paid the fee for Holy Week

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross

Anyone watched This Town? I quite fancy giving it a go but haven’t heard anyone mention it.

• wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 678

Slow horses is great

Lessons in Chemistry was enjoyable

Ted Lasso hit the spot (it's not really about the football)

Dick Turpin thing: you could see what they were trying to do, but they should have tried harder

Black Bird, serviceable

Big door prize, worth a look

Mythic quest, if you've ever worked with software houses, series 1 and 2 are on point.

================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,605

I’m 5/6 through it. I was drawn in by the 2 Tone element but to be honest that hasn’t really materialised. It’s a good tale of period struggle including racism, gangland action and IRA elements. Some of the dialogue is a bit too Tommy Shelby which has been annoying but overall, I’ve enjoyed it.

2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816

A thumbs up for me for Slow Horses on Apple and Bosch on Prime.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross

Just finished The Gentlemen. Bit of a mix of Gangs Of London, Breaking Bad (to the point of having the bloke who plays Gus being a caricature of that character) and Downton Abbey with a large dose of Guy Richie cliches (travellers, boxers, Wast End gangsters, Vinnie Jones…). I really enjoyed it.

• tailwindhome

Episode 4 or maybe 5 of Gray on Netflix and I've completely lost interest.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    edited April 17

Having been a fan of Killing Eve season 1 I finally got round to finishing the series off.

God damn it's awful from about the middle of series 2. GoT-esque in it's meh-ness

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 678

Has anyone tried the new 'Red Eye' drinking game? Every time someone watching says "that would never happen" the entire room has to take a drink.

By the end of the second break I was beginning to enjoy it and by the start of episode 2 I'd forgotten how bad episode 1 was.

================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,593
    edited April 23

I quite liked the first series, I forget now, how many series were there - 3?

I made it through the penultimate series, and started the final series, but couldn't agree more, it was running on fumes by then and should have been killed off a series early, it was p1ss poor.

I too abandoned it maybe 2 or 3 episodes in, there was some episode where she went on some killing spree on a campsite, and at that point it was definitely time to bin it.

Not many series I have abandoned mid way through.

Don't recall the alleged critics panning it though, almost like it could not be criticised in anyway shape or form.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18