TV Series - Reviews and Recommendations......

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610

I'm sure it's very good, I suspect it will make me too angry though.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,900

Yeah it will.

Not necessarily a criticism, as it's not a documentary, but it is very one sided. They're not remotely attempting to understand the PO's motives here for causing all that grief and covering it up. They're the baddies, and that's that.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,347

Finally decided to watch season 4 of Succession and it is back to its best after the massive dip in season 3. Seemed to realise that it could be funny again.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,834

Fool Me Once on Netflix. It was pretty decent if you didn't think too much about police procedure (or some other fairly obvious stuff) with a bit of a plot twist ending that I actually didn't see coming. Michelle Keegan is pretty watchable. I'd probably give it 6 out of 10.

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,448

I’d agree with that. Michelle Keegan is watchable and probably shouldn’t have mentioned this to the missus. The detective whose name escapes me, is an engaging actor and Joanna Lumley was perfect for her role. Watched a couple now of Harlan Corben’s efforts and all seem to sit at the 6/10 bracket.

Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Pross
    edited January 9

Yeah, I watched Safe which had a similar vibe set amongst wealthy but weird people. Lumley delivering swear words in her posh accent was far better than hearing Brian Cox doing the same. The detective is played by Adeel Akhtar, I know him from Sherwood last year which he was also good in.

• Enjoying the 2nd series of the Tourist.

• wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 688

Having our annual month of Apple TV to coincide with the excellent Slow Horses.

Truth be Told was dreadful on any number of levels (at your next family funeral make sure there's a chair for the podcaster who's largely responsible for the death) but even the much more worthy Black Bird was probably about 50% too long. I know that the lack of concise narrative is a real problem with movies at the moment but you'd think that the mini series producers are being paid by the yard. Long form story telling can be great (barely an inch of any of the Bridge series was slack) but too much of what I've seen recently is lazy.

Anyone got any Apple recommendations before the month is done?

================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • Finished the Tourist and enjoyed it, quite liked the ending as well. It did make Ireland seem like the wild west (especially as they used spaghetti western style music at points) which I'm not sure that the Irish tourist board would approve of.

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,448

True detective season 4, Night country. Not really connected to the other seasons. No jumping between time periods, which was becoming a little tedious.

Set in the artic, a by the book chief of police (the excellent Jodie Foster) need to solve a gruesome mystery with the help of mostly inept deputies. Some great casting and characters, 2 episodes so far and really enjoying. Little bit like Fortitude which I’d also recommend.

Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Pross

Finished watching Reacher Season 2. It got a bit boring towards the end to be honest, felt like it drifted away from the book a bit to stretch it out for the full 8 episodes.

• I'm enjoying it so far. Definitely seems to be a bit more mystery and suspense than the last season. Better acting too - Pleasant surprise to see Christopher Eccleston appear in ep2!

• kingstongraham

Just watched the first two episodes and it is utterly terrible.

"We've had this really successful show about a guy who lives off the grid and has no friends but has a moral compass from a mysterious past that compels him. Shall we put him in another location with the same kind of vibe?"

"OR... how about we give him a team of long term buddies, put him up in a posh hotel and give him a love story? Would that work?"

• Pross
  • kingstongraham

Maybe it makes sense for book 11 in a series when you are already in. Or maybe it's not that and it's just a bad TV show with terrible dialogue.

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,890

Oh dear, was keeping Reacher back for when there is even more trash on tele than usual.

Disappointed to hear that it has nose dived like just about everything else these days.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,463

We really enjoyed Reacher Series 1. I'm re-watching and enjoying it just as much.

Reacher Series 2 - yeah, it's OK. Good fun but a bit OTT and a stretch of the imagination. It's definitely NOT Pinter. Still worth watching IMO.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 688

Season 3 confirmed based on the 7th book: Persuader. Presumably the persuasion is done with either his guns, his guns, or his libido.

• Pross

It's a reference to a type of shotgun from memory. He's back on his own for that one (albeit with an attractive female partner he picks up en route I suspect).

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    edited February 4

Masters of the Air- Essentially Band of Brothers Season 3

Same idea, similar (if not same) team and same approach.

From someone who ranks Band of Brothers as the second best TV series ever, beaten only by The Wire, I was going to like it but I do think it is worth a watch on it's own merit anyway (despite the mortal sin of captioning a place as Flanders, then having the people speak French). It is almost charmingly old school given what BoB was part of spawning. There is little time spent developing characters or on interesting side stories - that's not what it's about - This is not breaking bad.

3 Episodes out so far from AppleTV (and in my case, various other nefarious sites). The third one is by far the best so far getting close to BoB episodes like Crossroads or The Breaking Point.

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Interesting? fact - the flying jackets in this were all produced at our local Aero Leathers factory in Galashiels.

• thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804

They weren't all produced there. The key supplier was Eastman Leather in Plymouth. The guy that owns it is a legend when it comes to WWII jackets and kit and he worked closely with the wardrobe department supplying original 100th Bomber Wing jackets.

Eastman Leather Clothing Blog

Eastman Leather Clothing Showroom - Eastman Leather Clothing

• Pross

I'll have to try to find that - think I've got a 3 month trial of Apple TV. Band Of Brothers is my favourite ever TV mini series. I bought the DVD box set when I first got a (then) massive 42" LCD TV and surround sound having watched it on Sky originally, I guess that was the start of TV production matching the big budget Hollywood blockbusters that has now become pretty much the norm with streaming services. I can't believe it is over 20 years since it came out. I wasn't as big a fan of The Pacific (which I assume you counting as BoB Season 2?).

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,903

Totally agree. I've said it before but what made it for me was the interviews before and after each episode.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,463

Currently watching "Obliterated" on Netflix. It's a whole boatload of high octane nonsense. Not to everyone's tastes but I find it amusing enough to relax on a Friday night with the family and a few glasses of wine.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Pross

Watched the first episode of The Way tonight, Michael Sheen’s programme set around Port Talbot steelworks which has come out with incredible timing (although with the history of the steelworks I suppose the same would have happened most years!). It’s been a bit weird so far and is heavy handed on the political front to the point of feeling slightly clichéd.

Production wise it feels a little bit like the work of someone doing a film course at Uni, maybe because (I think) they’ve used a lot of locals as extras, but that may add to the dystopian feel as the story progresses. Will stick with it as I think it might be about to start getting more interesting rather than just being a load of shouty Union types ranting against the foreign owners of the steelworks.

• carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,617

One Day on Netflix. Great bite size (30 mins) of drama which bookmark years I remember and developed through. Good soundtrack too.

2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • More than just your average girl meets tw@ story. Loved the music and the locations but didn't really believe in their chemistry on screen. I guess it's what happens when you have to distil an expansive piece of literature into bite sized morsels. People I know who have read the book have praised it which I guess is a good sign.

• Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,403

Watched this too. Tashwife lost interest very early on. I think it has some interesting potential. I think it's only 3 episodes so may blast through the next 2 to see where it goes.