TV Series - Reviews and Recommendations......

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    edited November 2023
    This is the 2023 documentary, which was very interesting, probably more so as I have a recollection of seeing snippets of it on the news as a youngster:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001kb3y/the-gold-the-inside-story

Dark Hearts also looks rather good on iplayer too - French drama, featuring two actors from Spiral apparently.

And Marie Dompnier (foreground) who I've seen in a few French dramas.

"The six-part series stars Marie Dompnier (Witnesses), Thierry Godard (Spiral), and Nicolas Duvauchelle (Braquo). Dark Hearts is set in Iraq on the eve of the battle for Mosul in October 2016, the series centres around an elite French Special Forces unit tasked with extracting the daughter and grandchildren of a high-ranking ISIS leader in order to gain vital information from him about an imminent terrorist threat in the region."
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Really enjoying severance on Apple TV far more than I think I should.

It’s one of those off the wall mystery dramas where everything is slightly surreal. However, unlike some of this ilk, it hasn’t gone out of its way to make the story unfathomable and impossible to follow.

It’s incredibly clever and even the most preposterous scenarios actually make sense given the context without relying on possible mental illness.
  • morstar
    I am being deliberately vague about details otherwise the whole opening scene and episode loses its mystery.

It’s a slow burner but if you want to go on a surreal yet intriguing journey, it’s well worth a go.
  • morstar said:

I am being deliberately vague about details otherwise the whole opening scene and episode loses its mystery.

It’s a slow burner but if you want to go on a surreal yet intriguing journey, it’s well worth a go.

Probably one of the best things I watched this year. Can't wait for the next series but imagine it won't live up to the hype, as is usually the way.
  • morstar

morstar said:

Probably one of the best things I watched this year. Can't wait for the next series but imagine it won't live up to the hype, as is usually the way.
    An absolute belter of a series.
    A steady progression from ‘what on earth is this’? to, hmm, ‘this is pretty clever’ to ‘wow, that was brilliant.’

Hope the second series can do it justice. It usually depends on whether they already have a story or if it’s a case of, ok, what do we do in the second series?

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,460
    daniel_b said:

Someone on here kindly mentioned Hidden Assets maybe a year or more ago, which was an awesome series.

Now there is a 2nd series, although not yet available on the beeb.

Even better news, is that the supremely talented Karine Vanasse (Cardinal\Pan AM) is in the cast :)

If anyone notices it makes it to the BBC, please post on here B)

Now on BBC 4. Double episode last night. Bloody brilliant. Sort of continuation of the 1st series but with some new cast and twists.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Culprits on Stars / Disney+ is a very slick heist mini series in glorious hyper colour.
    Slow Horses S3 - still the best thing out there IMO.

Things coming soon that I'm eager to watch...
    Fallout - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8qRasXF2pY
    The Boys S4 -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9U-yoJbgWs&t=23s
    House of Dragons S2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ8H5gqGA34
    Master of the Air - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RWohylGm3c
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I watched a couple of episodes last night. I thought all episodes were available on the Iplayer.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,962

Culprits on Stars / Disney+ is a very slick heist mini series in glorious hyper colour.
    Slow Horses S3 - still the best thing out there IMO.

Things coming soon that I'm eager to watch...
    Fallout - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8qRasXF2pY
    The Boys S4 -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9U-yoJbgWs&t=23s
    House of Dragons S2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ8H5gqGA34
    Master of the Air - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RWohylGm3c

Fallout I'm really looking forward to. Spent many years wandering around the wastelands so will be fun to see how well they do in replicating the feel/humour of the games
  • daniel_b
    edited December 2023

daniel_b said:

Someone on here kindly mentioned Hidden Assets maybe a year or more ago, which was an awesome series.

Even better news, is that the supremely talented Karine Vanasse (Cardinal\Pan AM) is in the cast :)

Now on BBC 4. Double episode last night. Bloody brilliant. Sort of continuation of the 1st series but with some new cast and twists.
    Thanks @photonic69 , nice one to watch over Christmas - surprised to see the lead detective/investigator has changed.

Most of the way through series 1 of Reacher, avid fan of the books, well the earlier ones more than the later ones if we're being honest, and could never and will never be able to bring myself to watch the Cruise films.

REALLY enjoying this series though, he's pretty damned close to what I had imagined as the character from reading all those books, probably a bit younger than I envisaged, although as the books must span ~20 years, maybe he was this young when it started - can't recall if they mention his age in the books.

Only have a couple of episodes left.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,803
    daniel_b said:

daniel_b said:

Thanks @photonic69 , nice one to watch over Christmas - surprised to see the lead detective/investigator has changed.

Most of the way through series 1 of Reacher, avid fan of the books, well the earlier ones more than the later ones if we're being honest, and could never and will never be able to bring myself to watch the Cruise films.

REALLY enjoying this series though, he's pretty damned close to what I had imagined as the character from reading all those books, probably a bit younger than I envisaged, although as the books must span ~20 years, maybe he was this young when it started - can't recall if they mention his age in the books.

Yeah it was good and pretty close to the book. Series 2 should be coming out soon. Agreed that he seemed a bit too young but at least he isn’t 5’ 6” tall
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,955
    Recommend- Boat Story on BBC/Iplayer

Just started Bodies on Netflix - I'm hooked but fear it may fall into the trap of being a great first episode premise that never finds a story.

Also one episode into The Newsreader and seems promising
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,011

Just started Bodies on Netflix - I'm hooked but fear it may fall into the trap of being a great first episode premise that never finds a story.

Thought the present day stuff made a decent story, but found the Ww2 and Victorian scenes were very ham. I lost interest after a couple of episodes.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,624

Is that Johnson from Peep Show I spotted on the trailer?

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,011
    mrb123 said:

He’s also on another ‘boat’ in Vigil (iplayer), which is ok.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,586
    The female lead (Daisy Haggard) was also in Peep Show for one episode.
    mrb123 said:

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,896
    edited December 2023
    Mad_Malx said:

Thought the present day stuff made a decent story, but found the Ww2 and Victorian scenes were very ham. I lost interest after a couple of episodes.
    Yeah. I've seen through E3 and interest is waning.
    Going to stick with it out of curiosity rather than interest.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • daniel_b
    edited December 2023
    Pross said:

daniel_b said:

daniel_b said:

Yeah it was good and pretty close to the book. Series 2 should be coming out soon. Agreed that he seemed a bit too young but at least he isn’t 5’ 6” tall

Just finished it tonight, and thoroughly enjoyed it for the duration - bearing in mind it could well be a quarter of a century since I read the book, I remembered the storyline more than I would have thought - I have re-read a couple, but pretty sure this was not one of them.

Delighted to see a second series starts in a few days, and series 3 has already been commissioned.

It's not particularly deep, or thought provoking, but it is (to me) very good entertainment.

The next series is based on Book 11, so I hope they don't skip too many and struggle, though I guess being TV, they won't shy away from skipping back and forth, and prequeling it if they need to.

I understand Neagley was inserted into this series, but I for one thought she was excellent, I recall book 11 being carnage, so whether she makes it through to series 3 I'm unsure, I genuinely don't recall, which is how I want it :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Pross
    I’ve gone back and re-read the full series in order twice I think when I’ve run out of new stuff. Only ‘discovered’ them about 6 or 7 years ago maybe when my wife got me the first 3 one Christmas on the recommendation of her friend whose husband liked them. The last few have been bad though since the brother took over writing them. Bad Luck And Trouble is one of the best ones.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,896
    pblakeney said:

Mad_Malx said:

Scratch that. Bodies picks up towards the end of E4 and E5 makes E6 seem interesting. Although you do have to suspend belief with it being a time travel series.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,871
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Mad_Malx said:

Scratch that. Bodies picks up towards the end of E4 and E5 makes E6 seem interesting. Although you do have to suspend belief with it being a time travel series.
    Bahaha
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,448
    daniel_b said:

Pross said:

daniel_b said:

daniel_b said:

Just finished it tonight, and thoroughly enjoyed it for the duration - bearing in mind it could well be a quarter of a century since I read the book, I remembered the storyline more than I would have thought - I have re-read a couple, but pretty sure this was not one of them.

Delighted to see a second series starts in a few days, and series 3 has already been commissioned.

It's not particularly deep, or thought provoking, but it is (to me) very good entertainment.

The next series is based on Book 11, so I hope they don't skip too many and struggle, though I guess being TV, they won't shy away from skipping back and forth, and prequeling it if they need to.

I understand Neagley was inserted into this series, but I for one thought she was excellent, I recall book 11 being carnage, so whether she makes it through to series 3 I'm unsure, I genuinely don't recall, which is how I want it :-)
    Added bonus with series 2 is that Reacher appears to be wearing my Carhartt Detroit duck jacket, which obviously makes me as hard as nails.

As Pross rightly pointed out in season 1, Reacher likes to walk. Hopefully the mincing little steps unbefitting of the character have had some coaching.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,460
    daniel_b said:

daniel_b said:

Great.

I'm re-watching Series 1 of Reacher right now. It's just as good 2nd time round. Love it. Can't wait for the new series.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• rick_chasey
    How many episodes into Game of Thrones do I need to get through before I can fairly throw in the towel and say I gave it a good go?
  • Wot I have been watching (apologies if discussed at length already):

Fall of the House of Usher (Netflix): loved it - Succession meets the Shining. Nothing too deep, but great story told at a good pace. Perfect over the course of a few winters evenings

The Patriot (Amazon): Really good fun. Seen it described as 'if Wes Anderson directed the Bourne series'. Enjoying the peril of him flying by the seat of his pants, and the comedy moments are well observed. Absolutely beautifully shot

I see the new series of Fargo has started
  • seanoconn

Wot I have been watching (apologies if discussed at length already):

Fall of the House of Usher (Netflix): loved it - Succession meets the Shining. Nothing too deep, but great story told at a good pace. Perfect over the course of a few winters evenings

The Patriot (Amazon): Really good fun. Seen it described as 'if Wes Anderson directed the Bourne series'. Enjoying the peril of him flying by the seat of his pants, and the comedy moments are well observed. Absolutely beautifully shot

I see the new series of Fargo has started

Enjoyed the first few episodes of the patriot but seems to lose direction so didn’t finish the series. First three seasons of Fargo were decent, although painfully slow at times. Gave up after an episode of season 4.
  • seanoconn

How many episodes into Game of Thrones do I need to get through before I can fairly throw in the towel and say I gave it a good go?

Could you stretch to 2 seasons?
  • Pross

One worked for me although I've seen random episodes every now and then as the wife watched it, generally when I was going to bed.
  • rick_chasey
    seanoconn said:

Yikes, is it that bad till then?

• seanoconn

seanoconn said:

Yikes, is it that bad till then?

They’re a lot going on and takes a while for the characters to develop. Worth sticking with if you can.