TV Series - Reviews and Recommendations......

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,460

Wot I have been watching (apologies if discussed at length already):

Fall of the House of Usher (Netflix): loved it - Succession meets the Shining. Nothing too deep, but great story told at a good pace. Perfect over the course of a few winters evenings

Currently watching. It's really good! Keep wondering who's getting it next and with what fate.

Really like Mike Flangan's other series all mostly with the same cast.
    The Haunting of Hill House; The Haunting of Bly Manor and Loved Midnight Mass. His best series I think. The Midnight Club started promisingly but had such a bad ending it ruined it for me.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,872
    edited December 2023
    Fair enough. I am not a fan of the lord-of-the-rings style in general - all beards, mud and growling at people in a way no-one has ever spoken ("epic dialogue"), so it has to be good to get through that chore.

The dialogue especially annoys me.

"please can we keep the puppies?"

"YOU SHALL FEED THEM, BATHE THEM, AND WHEN THEY DIE, BURRY THEM"

calm the f*ck down mate and talk properly.
  • seanoconn said:

Wot I have been watching (apologies if discussed at length already):

Fall of the House of Usher (Netflix): loved it - Succession meets the Shining. Nothing too deep, but great story told at a good pace. Perfect over the course of a few winters evenings

The Patriot (Amazon): Really good fun. Seen it described as 'if Wes Anderson directed the Bourne series'. Enjoying the peril of him flying by the seat of his pants, and the comedy moments are well observed. Absolutely beautifully shot

I see the new series of Fargo has started

Enjoyed the first few episodes of the patriot but seems to lose direction so didn’t finish the series. First three seasons of Fargo were decent, although painfully slow at times. Gave up after an episode of season 4.

Yeah - thought season 4 of Fargo suffered from not having the 'honest cop just trying their best' character which had been integral to the 1st 3
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,896
    edited December 2023

Fair enough. I am not a fan of the lord-of-the-rings style in general - all beards, mud and growling at people in a way no-one has ever spoken ("epic dialogue"), so it has to be good to get through that chore.

Coincidentally I had that conversation with my Dad when I was young but at lower volume. He ended up doing the work in the end. I'd say the same, and end up doing the work.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • photonic69
    pblakeney said:

Coincidentally I had that conversation with my Dad when I was young but at lower volume. He ended up doing the work in the end. I'd say the same, and end up doing the work.

It's the eternal dialogue of many, many generations...

PS - is that Burry as in Furry? Or Bury as in Berry?

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,708

seanoconn said:

How many episodes into Game of Thrones do I need to get through before I can fairly throw in the towel and say I gave it a good go?

Could you stretch to 2 seasons?
    Yikes, is it that bad till then?

I can't remember, but if you don't like it I would stop watching.

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    edited December 2023
    Pross said:

I’ve gone back and re-read the full series in order twice I think when I’ve run out of new stuff. Only ‘discovered’ them about 6 or 7 years ago maybe when my wife got me the first 3 one Christmas on the recommendation of her friend whose husband liked them. The last few have been bad though since the brother took over writing them. Bad Luck And Trouble is one of the best ones.

That's a lot of re-reading! I find enough at the library to keep me occupied on the reading front, not that I can get that much in a week to be fair, so a book lasts me a couple of weeks normally.

I thought post cruise, some of his books to me, felt like they had been written with a cruise film in mind. Never go back I thought was substandard, but with the daughter/not daughter angle, and I think he had a permanent buddy in the book, something he has never had previously throughout.

I was proved right, as it was turned into a film in 2016, but hopefully some 7 years on, and with the very successful tv series, that will die permanently.

I do agree some of the later books have not been as good - I'm not that sure why his brother is writing instead, does he not want to write anymore or something?

EDIT - ah here we go:
    "Publisher Transworld announced a new four-book deal in the series, to be co-authored by Lee and Andrew Child.

Andrew Child - already a suspense and thriller writer under his birth name Andrew Grant - is set to take over the series thereafter.

Lee Child, who is 65, said: “I love my readers and know they want many, many more Reacher stories in the future. I would love to make that promise, but realistically I'm aging out of being able to keep it. A few more, maybe, but not many, many more.

"So I have decided to pass the baton to someone who can keep that promise. I chose the best tough-guy writer I have read in years - my brother Andrew Grant. We share the same DNA, the same background, the same upbringing. He is me, 15 years ago, full of energy and ideas. He was the first to read Killing Floor all those years ago, and was the world's first Reacher fan. We are going to work on the next few together, and then he'll strike out on his own.

"I'm excited to read what he comes up with, because I'm betting it will be great. If I'm Reacher, then so is he. Maybe more so. Trust me‚ this is going to be the real deal.”
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,803
    Considering how old Reacher must be now he should probably be pensioned off and I've always felt there was more scope doing a spin off covering more of his old army work (if this now happens I'm keeping this as proof that my idea was stolen!). I wonder if something similar happened with Andy McNab's Nick Stone series as they turned weird a few books back and I don't think any more are being made. I'm surprised they haven't been turned into a film or TV series, I know the rights were sold years ago and the first film was supposed to be in pre-production but nothing happened - it had Jason Statham written all over it but he'll be getting too old at this rate. They did turn one of his Tom Buckingham books into a (bad) TV film though.
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

Considering how old Reacher must be now he should probably be pensioned off ...

I immediately thought, how old must Batman be these days?

Not an attack, more a reflection of how my brain works. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Watching the Lockerbie doc on Sky. Very good.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,708

Watching the Lockerbie doc on Sky. Very good.

Whodunnit?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    edited December 2023

daniel_b said:

Someone on here kindly mentioned Hidden Assets maybe a year or more ago, which was an awesome series.

Now there is a 2nd series, although not yet available on the beeb.

Even better news, is that the supremely talented Karine Vanasse (Cardinal\Pan AM) is in the cast :)

If anyone notices it makes it to the BBC, please post on here B)

Now on BBC 4. Double episode last night. Bloody brilliant. Sort of continuation of the 1st series but with some new cast and twists.
    Just finished this, shame it was only 6 episodes, think it should have been at least 8.

Superb and gripping drama, filled with tension, and some really shocking moments in it.
    For me, I thought it was slightly superior to the first series - be interested to see if they go with a 3rd series, looks like they have the option to be sure.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • How many episodes into Game of Thrones do I need to get through before I can fairly throw in the towel and say I gave it a good go?

I only made it to the end of episode 1, season 1 before deciding it wasn't for me, if that helps.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,338

How many episodes into Game of Thrones do I need to get through before I can fairly throw in the towel and say I gave it a good go?

I only made it to the end of episode 1, season 1 before deciding it wasn't for me, if that helps.
    From memory the first few episodes feel a little more BBC period drama than the rest, it does change a fair bit. Whether that change would be an improvement is quite subjective!
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    Lotta t!ts, i noticed that....
  • Pross
    pangolin said:

From memory the first few episodes feel a little more BBC period drama than the rest, it does change a fair bit. Whether that change would be an improvement is quite subjective!
    The very first episode definitely has a few scenes that the BBC would baulk at showing.
  • photonic69
    Pross said:

pangolin said:

The very first episode definitely has a few scenes that the BBC would baulk at showing.
    Blood? Violence? Bawdy sex?

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,338
    Pross said:

pangolin said:

Hah true I suppose I mean production values rather than content.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,955
    edited December 2023
    2 questions

If you were going to start watching modern era Doctor Who..how far back would you have to start to get into it?

And would if have any appeal to teenage boys 'raised' watching the MCU?

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Mad_Malx said:

Just started Bodies on Netflix - I'm hooked but fear it may fall into the trap of being a great first episode premise that never finds a story.

Thought the present day stuff made a decent story, but found the Ww2 and Victorian scenes were very ham. I lost interest after a couple of episodes.
    Yeah. I've seen through E3 and interest is waning.
    Going to stick with it out of curiosity rather than interest.
    Scratch that. Bodies picks up towards the end of E4 and E5 makes E6 seem interesting. Although you do have to suspend belief with it being a time travel series.
    I'm up to episode 6 and to be honest I'm really enjoying it.

Episodes 1 - 3 - WTF is happening?

Episode 4-6 - How the thing you know happens plays out

It all hangs on the resolution

As a side note - and I don't think its a spoiler - I can't think of another one and done* series in which the lead actor/ main character doesn't feature at all in the first episode

* hopefully...hate it when the idea gets stretched.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pblakeney
    edited December 2023

* hopefully...hate it when the idea gets stretched.

Trying to figure out how to put this without a spoiler.
    Definitely should be one and done.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,011

2 questions

If you were going to start watching modern era Doctor Who..how far back would you have to start to get into it?

And would if have any appeal to teenage boys 'raised' watching the MCU?

I restarted with the Tennant era because of age of kids. Really & they really enjoyed them.
    I had to google MCU. Very different and leave me cold. Rose Tyler attractions are possibly more for dad*. Not sure about the story lines for teenagers.

*Mrs MM lusted after David Tennant, so I'm allowed to say this.
  • Pross

Just finished episode 4 (all 4 in one sitting whilst wife and daughter are watching The Gilded Age). Haven’t got a clue what’s going on, feels very much like a grown ups episode of Doctor Who. I just stumbled across it while looking for something to watch and it only dawned on me after a couple of episodes that I’d seen it mentioned on here. I’ve come close to giving up on it on a few occasions but then I’ll have completely wasted an evening!

• Pross

Reacher Series 2 has been good so far but it does annoy me when streaming services decide to go retro with weekly episodes.

• pblakeney

Agreed!

I started watching and enjoyed it so much I binged. Thought it was a bad ending at E4. 🤣

Veronese68 wrote:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399

Partygate on 4od

If you are one of the contributers to the political nerd threads you should watch it.

Depending on your political leanings it is going to infuriate you for different reasons and I reckon you could set some interesting essays on it for politics, journalism, sociology, anthropology and several other subjects of students so all I will say is that it is very well acted and only lasts an hour.

It's not just a straight dramatisation it's ..well you should watch it

(As someone who has to write referenced reports I really like how they do that)

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney

What do you get if you cross a cheesy A-Team plot with The Hangover excess attempt at humour?

Obliterated on Netflix. Decide for yourself...

Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey

Just started the itv programme about the post office scandal.

Would recommend. Though obviously the scandal is enraging.

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,448

Gave it 5mins before realising it wasn’t for me. Another adult series which seems to be aimed at an under 15’s audience. Teen crap.

Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • tailwindhome

I'd be surprised if there's anything better on TV this year.

Every bit as good as people are saying