TV Series - Reviews and Recommendations......

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,536
    edited August 2023
    pangolin said:

pangolin said:

Although I'm just not sure UK TV could show hunting with a bow and arrow (illegal in the UK) and trapping.

Why not? I have very little knowledge on what is legal to show on tv tbh but they are not in the UK as you know. Only 1 guy takes a bow - you do see him shoot it in the first ep.
    Just because of viewer complaints. People think it is a medieval form of hunting which is in itself barbaric, so my expectation is that they would all complain.

That said, there is not much to hunt or trap on Vancouver Island. The birds and bears are protected.

I understand not many of the contestants have watched the US version which I find pretty astonishing. If they had, they would know that a gill net is a winning strategy with the recent fashion being to make your own out of paracord.

Have you watched the US versions?

I know I'm going to have to watch this to be annoyed by it. There is a thread on Reddit asking "Alone UK. Will anyone last more than one month?!?!?!"

I've only watched 2 seasons of the US one, it's not available on any of my various subscriptions at the moment. These brits are no Clay Hayes.

Bonkers to do something like this and not do some basic research to improve your chances.

Think of watching it as a mental challenge, that seems to be what sends a lot of people home in these programs.
    If you have a VPN it is free on the history channel. Otherwise, you need the not strictly legal approach.

It is best watching them in order as you see the evolution of strategy. Season 8 wasn't the best overall (due to covid and the hunting restrictions), but it's worth noting that Clay Hayes already had a load of youtube followers, he lives off his own land and makes his own bows - so, as you say, very different. Which was the other one you watched?

Season (Edit 4) was done in couples. It's the aberration that most people try to forget happened, but there were two bits that I did like:
    - They were dropped 10 miles apart and one would spend at least a week walking to meet the other. That seemed pretty tough going to me especially with the camera kit.
    - I quite liked some of the father son relationships. Obviously a programme called Alone was not the best place for these, but nonetheless, I liked that part.

• TheBigBean
    pangolin said:

Did you watch any Outlast on Netflix? That was dreadful big brother version of Alone, focused on them teaming up into 4 teams and all the inter person drama. Awful.

No. I briefly watched Naked and Alone and some Bear Grylls made up stuff. I didn't find any of it comparable.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

pangolin said:

pangolin said:

Although I'm just not sure UK TV could show hunting with a bow and arrow (illegal in the UK) and trapping.

Why not? I have very little knowledge on what is legal to show on tv tbh but they are not in the UK as you know. Only 1 guy takes a bow - you do see him shoot it in the first ep.
    Just because of viewer complaints. People think it is a medieval form of hunting which is in itself barbaric, so my expectation is that they would all complain.

That said, there is not much to hunt or trap on Vancouver Island. The birds and bears are protected.

I understand not many of the contestants have watched the US version which I find pretty astonishing. If they had, they would know that a gill net is a winning strategy with the recent fashion being to make your own out of paracord.

Have you watched the US versions?

I know I'm going to have to watch this to be annoyed by it. There is a thread on Reddit asking "Alone UK. Will anyone last more than one month?!?!?!"

I've only watched 2 seasons of the US one, it's not available on any of my various subscriptions at the moment. These brits are no Clay Hayes.

Bonkers to do something like this and not do some basic research to improve your chances.

Think of watching it as a mental challenge, that seems to be what sends a lot of people home in these programs.
    If you have a VPN it is free on the history channel. Otherwise, you need the not strictly legal approach.

It is best watching them in order as you see the evolution of strategy. Season 8 wasn't the best overall (due to covid and the hunting restrictions), but it's worth noting that Clay Hayes already had a load of youtube followers, he lives off his own land and makes his own bows - so, as you say, very different. Which was the other one you watched?

Season 3 was done in couples. It's the aberration that most people try to forget happened, but there were two bits that I did like:
    - They were dropped 10 miles apart and one would spend at least a week walking to meet the other. That seemed pretty tough going to me especially with the camera kit.
    - I quite liked some of the father son relationships. Obviously a programme called Alone was not the best place for these, but nonetheless, I liked that part.

I think the other one I've watched was the first half or 2/3 of season 9, then a free trial ran out and I stopped watching.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    edited August 2023
    Oooh good call Pango, I'll go check it out now...

First thoughts, A few of these seem to be completely inexperienced. One can't rig up a tarp. The first few US ones I saw were all Ray Mears, whittle a central heating system with air con from a twig, types...

Second thoughts - there's way more nudity than the US version too. Channel4 I s'pose
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    For the Alone fans

Season 4 - the pairs - is the most interesting so far for me. In particular who and what makes people tap out

In particular

The married couple that build a literal flipping house but can't hack being hungry vs the moron twins (?, and yeah that's super harsh) who fail at pretty much everything but just keep going through sheer bloody mindedness...
    - @ddraver
  • pangolin
    Can confirm someone has managed a paracord gill net.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • TheBigBean
    ddraver said:

For the Alone fans

Season 4 - the pairs - is the most interesting so far for me. In particular who and what makes people tap out

In particular

The married couple that build a literal flipping house but can't hack being hungry vs the moron twins (?, and yeah that's super harsh) who fail at pretty much everything but just keep going through sheer bloody mindedness...
    A lot of people felt it missed the whole concept of being alone and focused on more reality TV type arguments.

Did make me wish my dad had taught me to fish though.
  • TheBigBean
    pangolin said:

Can confirm someone has managed a paracord gill net.

I have watched it now and that did convince me that at least one of them had watched previous seasons.

They are all way too thin and bad at food procurement to last beyond a month. It does appear that they have been dropped earlier in the year though which makes it a bit easier.
  • ddraver
    edited August 2023
    I thought it was good. The last 3 were interesting to watch

The way the 60 year old literally ran himself into the ground

It was less about the Ray Mears and more about the psychology, which is different but also interesting.

I'm starting to warm to a couple of the UK people now which is helping and they do seem to have stopped being quite so moronic.

I agree it's the only thing ever that has made me slightly interested in fishing 😁
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    ddraver said:

I thought it was good. The last 3 were interesting to watch

The way the 60 year old literally ran himself into the ground

It was less about the Ray Mears and more about the psychology, which is different but also interesting.

I'm starting to warm to a couple of the UK people now which is helping and they do seem to have stopped being quite so moronic.

I agree it's the only thing ever that has made me slightly interested in fishing 😁
    Just an FYI. Season 5 isn't the best, but seasons 6 and 7 are really good and you should definitely watch them.
  • pangolin
    Season 6 is also now on channel 4 on demand
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • TheBigBean
    edited August 2023
    pangolin said:

Watching that without having seen the others will make them look bad though if you then choose to watch them.
  • pangolin

pangolin said:

Watching that without having seen the others will make them look bad though if you then choose to watch them.
    In the spirit of the show I am willing to risk putting myself through that hardship
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • ddraver
    This week's (ep 4) was better I thought. They re getting the hang of it now.

BB is right about the summer making a huge difference though. One dude is sick from too much blooming fish!!!

(I find watching it with a takeaway, or in the bath is the best way to enjoy it...)
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    pangolin said:

pangolin said:

In the spirit of the show I am willing to risk putting myself through that hardship
    You were warned! Season 1 may not have the same skill levels, but it will always have the feeling of the unknown - no one knew what would happen.
  • TheBigBean
    ddraver said:

This week's (ep 4) was better I thought. They re getting the hang of it now.

BB is right about the summer making a huge difference though. One dude is sick from too much blooming fish!!!

(I find watching it with a takeaway, or in the bath is the best way to enjoy it...)

Some fans would like to see a season where they are dropped earlier, but there is a real risk they build wood cabins and manage to stockpile food/wood, so the show goes on beyond the production budget.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160

pangolin said:

pangolin said:

You were warned! Season 1 may not have the same skill levels, but it will always have the feeling of the unknown - no one knew what would happen.
    That's the same with all these types of show. Even Big Brother was a good experiment in its first series and then things like Hunted or SAS Who Dares Wins, once people have watched it and know how it works it no longer has the same impact.
  • ddraver
    Saw a clip of the SAS dude (not the main one) saying that Vicky P was one of the best celeb candidates they'd had...

(Man, her dad f'ked her up good...)
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    ddraver said:

Saw a clip of the SAS dude (not the main one) saying that Vicky P was one of the best celeb candidates they'd had...

She was pretty good, I thought she'd have a meltdown. There have been a few on the 'celebrity' editions that have surprised me.
  • Pross
    Currently watching the second series of Lincoln Lawyer - two episodes in and it is pretty good and sticks reasonably well to how I recall the plot of the books.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Halfway through the first series of White Lotus (already watched the second).

It's really good.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,655
    edited August 2023
    ddraver said:

Not massively surprised, but on what basis?
  • ddraver
    I believe the only details provided were "she's a f**cking machine". It's not a program I've ever found that interesting personally...
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    Hah, you can read that two ways...
  • ddraver
    Oh yeah, this was clearly Army-speak for "good" though...
    - @ddraver
  • pangolin
    ddraver said:

Oh yeah, this was clearly Army-speak for "good" though...

Not sure this is the clarification you were hoping it to be
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • ddraver
    you've let me down, you've let the forum down, you've let your parents down but most of all...
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    (for those who don't know the context, she was/is dating an ex SAS person I believe).
  • rick_chasey
    Started succession, as everyone said it would be right up my street and now I have sky I can watch it.

Watched the first two episodes. It's fine, some funny bits. I'll stick with it but not blown away. Felt a little bored at times.

Meanwhile never got round to watching sopranos and so started that this morning. Now only one episode but it's already great.
  • bonk_king
    bonk_king Posts: 277

Started succession, as everyone said it would be right up my street and now I have sky I can watch it.

Watched the first two episodes. It's fine, some funny bits. I'll stick with it but not blown away. Felt a little bored at times.

Meanwhile never got round to watching sopranos and so started that this morning. Now only one episode but it's already great.

Succession is quite good, though the characters are very unlikeable, horrible people. There's no depths they won't go to to better their own situation.

Sopranos is a truly outstanding series, bettered only by Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul imo.