TV Series - Reviews and Recommendations......

Comments

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    I never got Succession, my wife watched it so i saw quite a bit by just being in the same room but it didn't really catch my attention.

I'm half way through rewatching the Sopranos and it is very, very good, I watched it when it was originally on TV but I missed a lot of the early episodes (before the days of on demand) and so was a bit baffled by some of the storyliones where I'd missed something important.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    (not watched succession either)

I was very late to the Sopranos, I got to I think half way through season 4 (see below) and got bored. What was most interesting watching it later on is that you could see the transition from soap opera to modern day mega-series in it. As a piece of television history it was groundbreaking.

Up to where the boss from Bad Boys' character got...i believe the term is "whacked"
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Started watching Only Murders in the Building on Disney

8/10
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,536
    pangolin said:

Season 6 is also now on channel 4 on demand

6-9 now
  • Going slightly off (Alone) topic, having enjoyed Colin from accounts (BBC), we took a chance on another Aussie comedy in Fisk (Netflix). It didn't disappoint and I was glad to hear that the 2nd series is available on ITV-X.

If you agree that modern life is rubbish, there's much to like here.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    edited August 2023
    I've now finished Season 2 of The Lincoln Lawyer. Very well made and kept mainly to the twists and turns of the book it is based on (The Fifth Witness) although the back story is a bit different (the book is set in the financial crisis with the murder victim being a banker in a foreclosure case). Decent cast with characters you get to like (and Neve Campbell is ageing far better than me!). Definititely worth a watch for anyone who enjoys Connelly's novels.
  • ddraver
    Alone fans like Colin from Accounts too...

Alone UK...
    Was hoping the cheery Jimmy might go the distance but apparently not. All behind Naomi now (and her instagram account gives some suggestions that she might win)
    - @ddraver
  • Going slightly off (Alone) topic, having enjoyed Colin from accounts (BBC), we took a chance on another Aussie comedy in Fisk (Netflix). It didn't disappoint and I was glad to hear that the 2nd series is available on ITV-X.

I thought Fisk was very funny, but strangely Colin from Accounts just didn't make me laugh that much. I can appreciate why a lot of people love it but just didn't have the same effect on me.

As per the Succession/Sopranos above. I think Succession is one of the best shows of the last few years, it really captures this new kind of uber rich modern family dynamic which explains a lot of modern media and the sheer ridiculousness of it I think.

I loved early series of The Sopranos, but it got very misogynistic for me and I stopped watching it after the episode where Ralphie murders his girlfriend. I have read theories that David Chase deliberately made the characters more and more vile as the series went on as he grew disillusioned with viewers glorification of them. Not sure if that is true but I definitely felt there was a shift in that series.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870

Started watching Only Murders in the Building on Disney

8/10

Watched the first two series last year, yet to start series 3.

We thoroughly enjoyed it, pretty out there, but I personally thought a great cast, quirky writing and story lines, and really enjoyed it.

Be interested to see I they can maintain the feel for series 3.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,655

Going slightly off (Alone) topic, having enjoyed Colin from accounts (BBC), we took a chance on another Aussie comedy in Fisk (Netflix). It didn't disappoint and I was glad to hear that the 2nd series is available on ITV-X.

I thought Fisk was very funny, but strangely Colin from Accounts just didn't make me laugh that much. I can appreciate why a lot of people love it but just didn't have the same effect on me.

As per the Succession/Sopranos above. I think Succession is one of the best shows of the last few years, it really captures this new kind of uber rich modern family dynamic which explains a lot of modern media and the sheer ridiculousness of it I think.

I loved early series of The Sopranos, but it got very misogynistic for me and I stopped watching it after the episode where Ralphie murders his girlfriend. I have read theories that David Chase deliberately made the characters more and more vile as the series went on as he grew disillusioned with viewers glorification of them. Not sure if that is true but I definitely felt there was a shift in that series.
    Just watched the "college" episode in series 1, where he takes his daughter around potential universities and does some 'work' on the side.

What an episode. So tight it's almost vacuum packed.
  • Just watched the "college" episode in series 1, where he takes his daughter around potential universities and does some 'work' on the side.

Yeah, the first two series is some of the best tv ever made IMO. It just took a turn in series 3 (in tone, not quality) that I just found put me off. I know I am in a minority with this though!
  • rick_chasey

Just watched the "college" episode in series 1, where he takes his daughter around potential universities and does some 'work' on the side.

Yeah, the first two series is some of the best tv ever made IMO. It just took a turn in series 3 (in tone, not quality) that I just found put me off. I know I am in a minority with this though!
    Will let you know.

My wife watched it as a teenager and loved it.

Were chatting about it last night; she kept saying how cool they all were etc.

Have to say, watching it as a 35 yr old dad, I don't get that same energy.

I guess since I'm also watching it in 2023, the family dynamic stuff I find enormously more interesting than the gangster stuff.

You need the gangster stuff to drive the family and psychology stuff.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    On the subject of classic TV, we've just got round to starting The Wire.

Nearly through series 1 and have absolutely loved it. Strong performances, well developed characters, superb pacing and plot. Definitely lives up to its reputation.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Series 3 episode 1 is the one that has stuck in my mind, the lamp one. The whole series is amazing.
  • mrb123

Series 3 episode 1 is the one that has stuck in my mind, the lamp one. The whole series is amazing.

For me it was Long Term Parking, one of the finest hour's of television ever made.

• ddraver
    mrb123 said:

Nearly through series 1 and have absolutely loved it. Strong performances, well developed characters, superb pacing and plot. Definitely lives up to its reputation.

Noooowwww We're talking!
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    mrb123 said:

I am a wire obsessive. Think I've watched it through 4 times now.

Who's your favourite character after season one, and what do you think of Stringer & Avon?
  • In other late-to-the-party news, I've just binged through Bojack Horseman

Really enjoyed it, and it doesn't end up where you think it will after a couple of episodes. A few duff episodes, but some wonderfully funny, touching and well-observed moments and the whole arc is fantastic.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760

mrb123 said:

Who's your favourite character after season one, and what do you think of Stringer & Avon?
    Snoop, obviously.
  • rick_chasey
    ( I have read elsewhere, and so far it rings true, that the sopranos is ultimately a shakespearean drama, concerned with characters exploration and decision making, whearas the wire is ultimately a greek tragedy, where the characters are at the behest of the gods or 'the game')
  • mrb123

mrb123 said:

Still got last 2 episodes to watch...

Top characters among the police - McNulty, Kima, Daniels, the bloke who makes the furniture.

On the other side, Stringer, D'Angelo. Love a bit of Bubbles too.

• mrb123
    mrb123 said:

mrb123 said:

Still got last 2 episodes to watch...

Top characters among the police - McNulty, Kima, Daniels, the bloke who makes the furniture.

On the other side, Stringer, D'Angelo. Love a bit of Bubbles too.

And Omar of course!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    Making the committment to watching long running series retrospectively is something I really struggle with. I've managed it with Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul (which I caught up with before the final series was released) plus Sons Of Anarchy. I tried and failed with several others including Mad Men, The Wire and Dexter.
  • The Wire is (alongside The West Wing) my favourite TV series of all time. I remember a great interview with David Simon, its creator, where the interviewer said that as The Wire is so complex it doesn't really lend itself to the 'causal viewer' who wants to dip in and out, or pick it up halfway through a series. Simon's response was "F*** the casual viewer".

It's probably the most complete set of characters in any TV show ever made. You may get 4 or 5 great headline characters in a lot of shows like West Wing and The Sopranos, but in the Wire, you have maybe 20 fully formed characters, each one interwoven across multiple plot lines and timelines, which is extraordinary.

Simon's other major shows are also well worth watching; Treme, The Deuce and Generation Kill (and many of the actors in The Wire feature across all of his work).

• masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    The Night Of
    NowTV
    IMDB 8.4

I found this crime drama a cracking watch. Stylishly shot, great acting with a credible storyline.
    It’s an eight part mini series which stays strong throughout.

My Brilliant Friend.
    NowTV
    IMDB 8.6

This Italian series is in contrast to most dramas I tend to watch and has been a refreshing change. It follows the trials of life of two female friends from early childhood in Naples through to old age. The pace is slow, but so far (watched first season) has been a masterpiece in storytelling, with exquisite attention to detail. The child actors in the first two episodes are outstanding.

Raised by Wolves
    NowTV
    IMDB 7.5

One for the die hard sci-fi fan (me). Definitely quirky with, religion, atheist androids, the last survivors of the human race, life on an alien planet, kids raised by synths…what’s not to like?

Warning:
    They’ve cancelled season three, so the premature ending is very open.
  • rick_chasey
    The book is also very good (my brilliant friend), and probably better than the prog.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    The Woman in the Wall appears to be the first decent BBC offerings in a long while.
    Wish I'd waited until the whole lot were available on iplayer though - can't be doing with this weekly release bllx
  • Mad_Malx said:

The Woman in the Wall appears to be the first decent BBC offerings in a long while.
    Wish I'd waited until the whole lot were available on iplayer though - can't be doing with this weekly release bllx

Yep - enjoying this too
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Alone fans help please. Would Alone by good family viewing? Jump in from the start or which season?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ddraver
    a) to be honest, no I'm not sure it would. Bit dull for the kids.

b) s1 of either the US or UK versions would be good.
    - @ddraver