TV Series - Reviews and Recommendations......

Comments

• johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Nope, that happened, just not in Cairo as depicted.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Anyway, having had a horrible three days with a stinking cold I have finished my nth rewatch of House and am now moving on to The Wire again...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • johngti
    johngti said:

Nope, that happened, just not in Cairo as depicted.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    ddraver said:

I enjoyed it but when Officer McNulty appeared in drag I assumed I was no longer dealing with a historically accurate documentary...

You assumed wrong, he was known for cross-dressing. I think he was also arrested for homosexuality despite there being no evidence he was.

The female French agent on the other hand was completely fictional (and IMO added no value to the programme).

• Pross
    Started watching Bosch Legacy yesterday through Prime though actually on Freevee (free but with ads). I assume the others episodes are also available. Came as a pleasant surprise as I though they weren’t doing any more. Based on the book The Wrong Side of Goodbye.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    It ain't that deep for me boys...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • johngti
    Pross said:

ddraver said:

I enjoyed it but when Officer McNulty appeared in drag I assumed I was no longer dealing with a historically accurate documentary...

You assumed wrong, he was known for cross-dressing. I think he was also arrested for homosexuality despite there being no evidence he was.

The female French agent on the other hand was completely fictional (and IMO added no value to the programme).

Reading on, there was a portly middle aged Belgian bloke who was a spy. I reckon they’ve taken him and mixed it up a bit with a few other real life characters to make a fictional hot female spy based in Cairo.
  • Pross
    Pross said:

Started watching Bosch Legacy yesterday through Prime though actually on Freevee (free but with ads). I assume the others episodes are also available. Came as a pleasant surprise as I though they weren’t doing any more. Based on the book The Wrong Side of Goodbye.

Weather was rubbish today so binged watched this after getting back from a run. Very good series but with a frustrating season finale and a bit of a silly bit with a leather clad sexy hit woman that felt out of place. Definitely worth a watch if you are a fan of the. Ischia series or books. For some reason I didn’t get ads after the first episode (watched episode 1 through Sky box and the rest of a different TV through Fire TV stick).
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Anyone else find the SAS prog interminably boring?

I gave it 3 episodes. 3 hours of slow, turgid and predictable stuff with the added benefit of blowing smoke up the arse of over-privileged poshboys.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    We really enjoyed Sky's Christmas Carole

The writing of the Ghost of Christmas Past was inspired
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Ghosts Christmas Special was a good watch. Very nicely balanced.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Pross said:

Ghosts Christmas Special was a good watch. Very nicely balanced.

The ghosts team make some wonderfully funny & intelligent programs.
    The antithesis of mrs browns boys I would wager.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Pross
    edited December 2022
    Two episodes in to Treason on Netflix and it looks promising so far. Another ‘trust no-one’ conspiracy thriller but well done. Only 5 episodes of 40 minutes so easily bingeable.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Pross said:

Two episodes in to Traitor on Netflix and it looks promising so far. Another ‘trust no-one’ conspiracy thriller but well done. Only 5 episodes of 40 minutes so easily bingeable.

Anything with Olga Kurylenko is fine by me.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Pross
    seanoconn said:

Pross said:

Two episodes in to Traitor on Netflix and it looks promising so far. Another ‘trust no-one’ conspiracy thriller but well done. Only 5 episodes of 40 minutes so easily bingeable.

Glad you worked out what I was talking about as it is called Treason not Traitor!
  • seanoconn
    Pross said:

seanoconn said:

Pross said:

Glad you worked out what I was talking about as it is called Treason not Traitor!
    I hadn’t even realised! Close enough.
  • Pross
    edited December 2022
    The woman playing the main character’s wife is. Charlie Chaplin’s granddaughter apparently.
  • Pross said:

The woman playing the main character’s wife is. Harlow Chaplin’s granddaughter apparently.

Harlow?

Oona Chaplin, daughter of Geraldine Chaplin, whose father was a little tramp :)
  • Pross
    Most random auto-correct in history! It should obviously have been Charlie.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    edited December 2022

I gave it 3 episodes. 3 hours of slow, turgid and predictable stuff with the added benefit of blowing smoke up the censored of over-privileged poshboys.

I really enjoyed it - appreciate they are using a mahoosive amount of artistic licence, but for entertainment and scenery factor, I thought it was excellent.
    Great distraction whilst on the turbo :)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b said:

I

Also loving the Stanley Tucci Italy series (massive thankyou for that being posted) - just watched the Tuscany one with lunch. Pretty certain I don't recall seeing any of his work (Not a big film watcher) but his easy going relaxed presentation style, and evident love of the country is captivating.

The food looks so good.

If you want Stanley Tucci and food in a film, find "Big Night" from the 90s.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Inventing Anna on Netflix... true story of Anna Sorokin who defrauded banks and individuals to live the dream... thoroughly enjoyable
    left the forum March 2023
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

I gave it 3 episodes. 3 hours of slow, turgid and predictable stuff with the added benefit of blowing smoke up the censored of over-privileged poshboys.

agree 100%..

total bilge. as per previous post, unwatchable.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    daniel_b said:

I really enjoyed it - appreciate they are using a mahoosive amount of artistic licence, but for entertainment and scenery factor, I thought it was excellent.
    Great distraction whilst on the turbo :)
    people getting shot really isn't very entertaining tbh and the dialogue wasn't exactly witty.

• MattFalle

daniel_b said:

I

Also loving the Stanley Tucci Italy series (massive thankyou for that being posted) - just watched the Tuscany one with lunch. Pretty certain I don't recall seeing any of his work (Not a big film watcher) but his easy going relaxed presentation style, and evident love of the country is captivating.

The food looks so good.

If you want Stanley Tucci and food in a film, find "Big Night" from the 90s.
    WS is right.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    If you're going to rule out TV shows where people get shot, the pickings are much slimmer.
  • MattFalle
    edited December 2022
    Wednesday on Netflix.

Aimed at teens, got into it due to bambina, its just v v watchable.
  • seanoconn
    MattFalle said:

agree 100%..

Balls. Only those who don’t have the ‘who dares wins’ mentality wouldn’t enjoy this.
  • MattFalle
    seanoconn said:

MattFalle said:

agree 100%..

Balls. Only those who don’t have the ‘who dares wins’ mentality wouldn’t enjoy this.
    no. itsshyte.
  • MattFalle
    Enjoyed by the sort of people who say that they know the second man on the balconey and he's their best mate