TV Series - Reviews and Recommendations......

Comments

• Watched a couple of episodes of Kaleidoscope on Netflix. It's a proper glossy heist movie style thing over 8 episodes. The gimmick is you are supposed to be able to watch it in any order, which seems a bit naff - there is a "best order" out there on the internet.

What I've seen looks good - Gus Frings from Breaking Bad getting a gang together to do the ultimate heist because of something in his past blah blah blah normal nonsense.
  • I recently discovered the remaining series of Rocco-Ice Cold Murders we’re available on All4/skybox.
    I found the first story in series 3 a rather somber and claustrophobic affair, with little of the black humour of the first two series. Unfortunately, the dramatic conclusion to series 2 has had the expected impact upon the cast and the show suffers as a result.
    It was strange, in this day and age, to watch a production almost devoid of female participation. (But for a token reprisal at the conclusion of the case.)

I will persevere for the moment, but things need to improve.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Ah I would do, both series 3 & 4 are on there, and I have just finished series 3.

It does get better, and I think there is hope that the female character you speak of may return - there is the shortest of glimpses.
    I do agree though that it does suffer due to this deficit if that is the right word, and yes some of it gets pretty dark indeed.

The last 4 parts are all interlinked pretty much, and there is some more female characters that appear, including a journalist, and one poor woman who has been lumbered with the name Lada.

I am currently watching David Suchet's Poirot episodes whilst on the turbo - deep into series 1, and although I must have seen most of them over the years, they are seeming new to me now - nothing to write home about, but entertaining nonetheless.

Also been watching a spy among friends, with guy pearce, and the chap out of homeland, and the main woman from motherland amongst other things - you can tell I am crap with names.
    Very well written, good acting, but it is a bit slow, I think we have 2 episodes left.

Oh and for complete banal enjoyment, Death in Paradise is back on as well - looks like lead actor number 4 will be off soon, due to a new love interest, so be interesting to see who replaces him.
    I know it's cliche, and not the best acting or storylines, but in the dark, cold, wet, months of January and February, it is a small beacon of light for me.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,669
    Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime is now in its 3rd season. Very good. Nice short 8 episode series. High drama and tension. Borrows from current Russia/Ukraine conflict for story lines. Well worth a binge watch.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Scuba Jake on Amazon.

Utterly brilliant.

True life docu of bloke who goes scuba'ing for treasure, murder weapons, historical stuff.

Had all the MFs enthralled when they discovered it last night. ended up watching sbout 3hrs of it.

Absolutely mega.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,539
    Pross said:

Most random auto-correct in history! It should obviously have been Charlie.

Maybe that's what your dealer calls it... random, yeah, right. 😉
  • Watching White Lotus season 2 - quite superb. I haven't watched season 1, and it doesn't seem to matter.

Sicily looks beautiful as well.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625

Watching White Lotus season 2 - quite superb. I haven't watched season 1, and it doesn't seem to matter.

Sicily looks beautiful as well.

Just started the first season.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Rewatching Early Doors on BBC4.

One of the greatest British comedies of the last 30 years.

As someone who spent far too much time in my local you can relate to all of the characters.

Like all of the great British comedies you become emotionally invested in all the characters. Plenty of pathos, empathy, heartbreak and laugh out loud moments. Fantastically written and beautifully acted.
  • Our Flag Means Death. Just brilliant.

Didn't know this was available, will have to rewatch it. Just finished rewatching The Royle Family as well.

If there are any Ken Burns fans, his latest documentary 'The U.S. and the Holocaust' on BBC4 is another great piece of filmmaking. His previous series on the Vietnam War and the American Civil War are also superb.
  • Also Watching 'Better Call Saul', currently watched Series 4 and found it lives up to the hype. I could never get into 'Breaking Bad' which is odd as on paper it seems like the kind of TV show I would love.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,651

Also Watching 'Better Call Saul', currently watched Series 4 and found it lives up to the hype. I could never get into 'Breaking Bad' which is odd as on paper it seems like the kind of TV show I would love.

If it's of any help, breaking bad is much better once the wife finds out about it all. Much much better. If you can get to that point, you'll be well rewarded.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,973

Rewatching Early Doors on BBC4.

Didn't know this was available, will have to rewatch it. Just finished rewatching The Royle Family as well.

If there are any Ken Burns fans, his latest documentary 'The U.S. and the Holocaust' on BBC4 is another great piece of filmmaking. His previous series on the Vietnam War and the American Civil War are also superb.
    Thanks for the reminder as I loved the Civil War one. The West had some astonishing facts but didn't quite live up to Civil War. Must try and find more.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.

First time it’s been reshown in 14 years apparently.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,669

Also Watching 'Better Call Saul', currently watched Series 4 and found it lives up to the hype. I could never get into 'Breaking Bad' which is odd as on paper it seems like the kind of TV show I would love.

Better Call Saul is so much better that BB. I watched Saul with my son last year. When I was watching BB he was a little too young. Now he's watching BB and I've caught a few episodes with him I still like it but the story telling in Saul is much evolved from the BB writing.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Early Doors is now on the BBC Iplayer. Might be a good one for Rick so he can see how folk carried on in the old days.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    Just finished watching "The Mayfair Hotel Megabuild" on iPlayer.

3 things.
    1. Would love to of seen more of the underground build. That was superb.
    2. No clue who the "Very Special Guest" was at the end of episode 3
    3. And finally. Vive la révolution!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,159
    JimD666 said:

Just finished watching "The Mayfair Hotel Megabuild" on iPlayer.

3 things.
    1. Would love to of seen more of the underground build. That was superb.
    2. No clue who the "Very Special Guest" was at the end of episode 3
    3. And finally. Vive la révolution!

Was that the guest playing the piano? If so it was Chris Martin from Coldplay. I enjoyed the engineering bits, my eyes glazed over once the interior design lot and spa people took over though. Seriously impressive bit of work though.
  • JimD666
    Cheers Pross. Not a particular fan of Coldplay but still.

They could of devoted the whole 3 episodes to the underground stuff and I'd of been happy.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,159
    JimD666 said:

They could of devoted the whole 3 episodes to the underground stuff and I'd of been happy.

The top floor stuff was very impressive too. Not sure I’d want to be the tower crane driver doing all that for around £35-40k a year!
  • JimD666
    Pross said:

JimD666 said:

The top floor stuff was very impressive too. Not sure I’d want to be the tower crane driver doing all that for around £35-40k a year!
    Was a shame they didn't show the dismantling of it. One thing too build it up there when everything is still a building site, entirely different kettle of fish in getting it down when most of the works were completed

PBS America (Freeview chl. 84) show it every 6-8 months or so.
    Whenever it is on, I always watch it; as it is that good.

Burns' series on Jazz is equally ace; and is shown regularly.
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605
    edited January 2023
    I've started watching 'The last of us' on Sky. Not bad for something which is probably best put in the Zombie genre (which is a bit overdone these days) and not totally derivative. Might put you off mushrooms though.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,651
    Stevo_666 said:

I've started watching 'The last of us' on Sky. Not bad for something which is probably best put in the Zombie genre (which is a bit overdone these days) and not totally derivative. Might put you off mushrooms though.

Did you know it's a spin off out of a very successful computer game?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Full English Grayson Perry channel 4 first episode last night really enjoyed it to the extent watched again tonight with the missus.
  • Don’t know where I’ve been all these years but only just discovered Inside No.9 on BBC iPlayer. Weird little self-contained 30 min stories from Pemberton & Shearsmith.

Watch in any order horror/comedies.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605
    edited January 2023

Stevo_666 said:

Did you know it's a spin off out of a very successful computer game?
    So I read in the blurb on the web - made me a bit sceptical as 'Resident Evil' was a bit trashy - but it was getting good reviews nonetheless.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    edited January 2023

Don’t know where I’ve been all these years but only just discovered Inside No.9 on BBC iPlayer. Weird little self-contained 30 min stories from Pemberton & Shearsmith.

Watch in any order horror/comedies.

A less good Black Mirror - which still makes it pretty damn good...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver