TV Series - Reviews and Recommendations......

Comments

• Stevo_666 said:

I've started watching 'The last of us' on Sky. Not bad for something which is probably best put in the Zombie genre (which is a bit overdone these days) and not totally derivative. Might put you off mushrooms though.

Did you know it's a spin off out of a very successful computer game?
    2 episodes in; and a 2nd season has already been green-lit.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/the-last-of-us-tv-series-season-2-confirmed-more-you-need-to-know/ar-AAZRUoK

Craig Mazin also penned the rather excellent Chernobyl
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,652
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I've started watching 'The last of us' on Sky. Not bad for something which is probably best put in the Zombie genre (which is a bit overdone these days) and not totally derivative. Might put you off mushrooms though.

So I read in the blurb on the web - made me a bit sceptical as 'Resident Evil' was a bit trashy - but it was getting good reviews nonetheless.
    Game is a real tearjerker.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

So I read in the blurb on the web - made me a bit sceptical as 'Resident Evil' was a bit trashy - but it was getting good reviews nonetheless.

Never heard of a game being that but I'll take your word for it. Am now up to date with the series and will definitely carry on watching.

Anyway, you reminded me that I think I still have a Sega Megadrive in the loft - might be worth a few quid to a retro game collector.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Buckle up for Ep. 3 then; 75 minutes of poignant, exquisite drama.

You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

When's it showing over here? Tonight?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • evil_breakfast
    evil_breakfast Posts: 460
    edited January 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Yep, Sky Atlantic at 9.
    I, however, don't have Sky, so I....ahem....coughs.....acquired it this morning (as it's broadcast Sun night Stateside)
    Takes me back to that halcyon age where we had to wait a whole week for the next episode a-la Lost.
    It was a simpler time.....
  • Poker Face - a new Natasha Lyonne black comedy / mystery of the week show from the writer and director of Knives Out. Lyonne's delivery is pin sharp as always and I can never get enough of her voice. Quite a cast too. Oh and it looks great as well - deffo has a touch of the Tarantino cinematography.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x2NzusLAqk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poker_Face_(TV_series)

• Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Yep, Sky Atlantic at 9.
    I, however, don't have Sky, so I....ahem....coughs.....acquired it this morning (as it's broadcast Sun night Stateside)
    Takes me back to that halcyon age where we had to wait a whole week for the next episode a-la Lost.
    It was a simpler time.....
    Thanks EB, that's tonight's TV entertainment sorted.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,973
    edited January 2023

Poker Face - a new Natasha Lyonne black comedy / mystery of the week show from the writer and director of Knives Out. Lyonne's delivery is pin sharp as always and I can never get enough of her voice. Quite a cast too. Oh and it looks great as well - deffo has a touch of the Tarantino cinematography.

That looks like it might be the best thing ever. Or complete tosh.
    Given the cast I'll hope for the former.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Not feeling the love expressed on here for "The Last of Us."
    It's already meandering down the Walking Dead path, but with the added bonus of an extremely irritating child.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625

Not feeling the love expressed on here for "The Last of Us."
    It's already meandering down the Walking Dead path, but with the added bonus of an extremely irritating child.

Seems to be a trend recently for casting interesting looking people in main roles. Once you get over the interesting, she’s quite a good actress. Hopefully there’s a conclusion set for the second season and it won’t meander down the walking dead path as you say, rehashing the same theme over and over.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Stevo_666
    Read an article where someone in involved with making the show dropped a very strong hint that it would not follow the same path as The Walking Dead. That helped persuade me to give it a go as TWD got boring pretty quickly.
  • Just finished White Lotus season 2 and it is brilliant all the way through to the end.
  • Just finished White Lotus season 2 and it is brilliant all the way through to the end.

Taormina is eye wateringly beautiful. One of my favourite places to visit. A shame about all the tourists! :D

Taormina is eye wateringly beautiful. One of my favourite places to visit. A shame about all the tourists! :D
    Should close it to day trippers lol
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Been catching Lockwood and co. On Netflix.

I’ll describe it as Harry Potter meets Buffy.

Switch the brain off, it’s enjoyable pap.
  • seanoconn

Poker Face - a new Natasha Lyonne black comedy / mystery of the week show from the writer and director of Knives Out. Lyonne's delivery is pin sharp as always and I can never get enough of her voice. Quite a cast too. Oh and it looks great as well - deffo has a touch of the Tarantino cinematography.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x2NzusLAqk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poker_Face_(TV_series)

Two episodes in and excellent so far. Great characters and well acted. Lyonne must smoke 60 a day to have a voice like that.
  • I’ve watched the first four now. All excellent. She describes it as a ‘how done it?’ which is spot on!
  • seanoconn

I’ve watched the first four now. All excellent. She describes it as a ‘how done it?’ which is spot on!

Turning into Columbo/the littlest Hobo. Not living up to expectations after the first episode.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Watched Stonehouse last night. I thought was pretty good, it managed to keep mine the missus interest enough to watch all 3 episodes in a oner.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,159
    Started watching the final series of Happy Valley last night (I watched the first series but not the second and was struggling a bit to remember what it was all about). The wife had been recording it but wouldn't watch it until she'd had a chance to watch the ending to decide if it was to her liking - does anyone else have a partner that does weird things like that? She'll regularly watch the end of a film first or with some of the films she says are favourites she will watch them regularly then skip bits she doesn't like (too cringy, too sad etc.).

FWIW the first 3 episodes have been pretty good albeit not particularly full of activity but I suspect most who intend watching have already done so.
  • pblakeney
    edited February 2023
    Pross said:

FWIW the first 3 episodes have been pretty good albeit not particularly full of activity but I suspect most who intend watching have already done so.

Well, my wife watched all 3 series over 3 days. Must be some kind of recommendation as she wasn't taken with it initially. Maybe I should...
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • seanoconn
    Pross said:

Started watching the final series of Happy Valley last night (I watched the first series but not the second and was struggling a bit to remember what it was all about). The wife had been recording it but wouldn't watch it until she'd had a chance to watch the ending to decide if it was to her liking - does anyone else have a partner that does weird things like that? She'll regularly watch the end of a film first or with some of the films she says are favourites she will watch them regularly then skip bits she doesn't like (too cringy, too sad etc.).

Tell your wife she’s seriously weird and it’s not just your opinion. Watching the ending first!? Bizarre
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Pross said:

Every inch of my being thinks your wife is nuts!

However, I then think…
    What if I’d taken that approach to Lost? Life would be better.
  • If you ever consider watching something twice, what's the difference? But with the bonus of not wasting your time.

Also, mad.
  • pblakeney
    edited February 2023

If you ever consider watching something twice, what's the difference? But with the bonus of not wasting your time.

Also, mad.

The difference is that you will notice nuances in the plot that were missed first time round. Good comedies are even more relevant as quick fire jokes will be missed.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,652
    morstar said:

Pross said:

Every inch of my being thinks your wife is nuts!

All 2 and a half of them? :blush:
  • Pross

If you ever consider watching something twice, what's the difference? But with the bonus of not wasting your time.

Also, mad.

If I watch something more than once it’s usually after I’ve forgotten a lot of the detail (so I need to leave it at least a month these days!).
  • Pross
    I told her the consensus is that she is weird, she replied that being thought weird by a bunch of blokes who spend half their lives arguing on the internet with people they don't know is almost certainly a good thing. She has a point.
  • Clarkson’s farm returns for it’s second series tomorrow.
    Muck spreading of a a different variety to the norm.