TV Series - Reviews and Recommendations......

Comments

• Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Dublin Murders - was so promising early on but fizzled out into a bit of a damp squib.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    tashman said:

Dublin Murders - was so promising early on but fizzled out into a bit of a damp squib.

I thought the same with The Capture.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    tashman said:

I'm enjoying it so far but not at the end just yet.

The Capture was a bit pants by the end wasn't it ?

• Pross
    fenix said:

tashman said:

I'm enjoying it so far but not at the end just yet.

The Capture was a bit pants by the end wasn't it ?

Yeah, seemed like it would be really good for a few episodes but the last two were complete crap.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    elbowloh said:

However, I decided to give series 2 a go and have found it much better. Have watched 4 episodes in the last 24 hours!

It really kicks off in episode 6!

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    pblakeney said:

elbowloh said:

However, I decided to give series 2 a go and have found it much better. Have watched 4 episodes in the last 24 hours!

It really kicks off in episode 6!

I was commuting in earlier in the year (i think it was this year) when I came across loads of police cars and ambulances parked up just outside the NP Gallery on Charing Cross Road. I kind of clocked that it was a set for a film or TV show as there were loads of people casually hanging around. Then i watched episode 5 (i think it was) and there was the scene!

This series has clearly borrowed quite a lot of material (the jungle scenes, assassinations of the senator etc) from the Clear and Present Danger book, albeit that was set in Columbia rather than Venuzuela and was about drugs , not "blue gold".
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • The Kominsky Method with Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin on Netflix now in it's second series. Excellent.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,387
    New series of The Young Offenders
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • elbowloh
    edited November 2019

The Kominsky Method with Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin on Netflix now in it's second series. Excellent.

Is that like the rhythm method?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I don't know if it's been mentioned on here before but Friday Night Lights is really excellent and is on Prime at the moment - highly, highly recommended.

Series 2 is a bit pants (was during the writer's strike) but 1, 3 and 4 are fantastic (they stopped at 4).
  • elbowloh
    Just watched S1E1 of the Man in the High Castle.

To be honest i've been avoiding it until now because i thought from afar that it had stolen the idea from Robert Harris's Fatherland, but have since discovered its based on a Philip K Dick book that preceded Fatherland by quite some time!

Really enjoyed the first episode, good introduction to, who it seems, are the main protagonists, good production values and sets and will continue watching.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    Let me know how you get on with the second series.
    I lost interest in the characters. Maybe it improves...
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    pblakeney said:

Let me know how you get on with the second series.
    I lost interest in the characters. Maybe it improves...

I still can't make up my mind whether it's good or bad.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Rick & Morty series 4 kicked off this week.
    Wubba lubba dub dub.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Did anyone enjoy the new version of War of the Worlds? Thought it was a bit slow and couldn't get the radio play out of my head. Kept expecting OOOLAAAAA and was disappointed
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    That Giri / Haji Tokyo London Cop/Yakuza thing. I defy anyone to tell me they saw the ending before it happened. Actually I'm still not sure if I really saw it ?

Great series though with some great characters. Even felt a bit Tarantino at times.
  • pblakeney
    Latest version of War Of The Worlds on Sky/Fox.
    Off to a good start.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    edited March 2020
    I've got a feeling this thread will be very useful when we are all confined to our houses soon. I might finally get around to watching Breaking Bad and Mad Men!
  • pblakeney
    Hunters on Amazon.
    Very definitely Tarantino inspired and style over substance.
    Fortunately, it has the substance to back it up.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    elbowloh said:

Just watched S1E1 of the Man in the High Castle.

To be honest i've been avoiding it until now because i thought from afar that it had stolen the idea from Robert Harris's Fatherland, but have since discovered its based on a Philip K censored book that preceded Fatherland by quite some time!

Really enjoyed the first episode, good introduction to, who it seems, are the main protagonists, good production values and sets and will continue watching.

First point - another ludricous swear filter.
    Second point - I loved the first two series of this. The third was a little less special, but I do love the book, so the further they go from the original premise, the less I'm engaged.

It is able to do fictional holocaust stuff in a more striking way than Hunters, due to the obviously fictional backdrop.
  • Pross
    Started watching Cobra, just on episode 2. Pretty good so far and quite appropriate for the current situation.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Unorthodox 4-parter on Netflicks is the best thing I’ve seen in a long while.
  • Pross
    Just finished watching Gangs of London. First 5 or 6 episodes are very good if extremely violent but then it goes off on a bit of a weird tangent that I felt spoiled it. All of bit later series Line of Duty towards the end.
  • Can't recommend Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing highly enough.

Lovely wee programme.

All on Iplayer
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Can't recommend Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing highly enough.

Lovely wee programme.

All on Iplayer

It's the most beautifully relaxing program. Some genuinely heart-warming moments.

I loved watching it with a beer when it was on a Friday night but tbf it probably suits a Sunday evening better.

Fantastic TV.
  • elbowloh
    I've been quite enjoying Cobra Kai. The first few episodes where tough to get through due to so many flashbacks and being a bit cheesey, but once through that it gets quite funny and doesn't take itself seriously.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Working my way through Line of Duty having missed it first time round.

I think series 3 is the best season of TV I've ever watched
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    Old, but gold.
    Opportunity for Cargobike to wallow in nostalgia :lol: for other lives lived.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00k8rcw/behind-the-lines-1-fain-would-i-climb

Oh, bang up to date I watched this last night while slaving over a hot stove, a podcast rather than tellybox fun, but extremely thought provoking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaTKaHKCAFg&ab_channel=PowerfulJRE
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Can't specifically remember series 3 but yes, it was good value. I came late to them too and watched them all earlier this year.

Love those moments that just grab you though. 1st series of Homeland did it for me. The presidents bunker scene was the most intense television moment I've ever experienced.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited October 2020
    morstar said:

Can't specifically remember series 3 but yes, it was good value. I came late to them too and watched them all earlier this year.

Love those moments that just grab you though. 1st series of Homeland did it for me. The presidents bunker scene was the most intense television moment I've ever experienced.
    Absolutely. Subsequent seasons of Homeland were still watchable but season 1 was some of the best TV ever.