TV Series - Reviews and Recommendations......

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    ddraver said:

Is there any evidence whatsoever that the French troops 'charged' into battle chanting Vive . Le . France in unison :)

they didn't charge. They marched in columns
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Chanting 'Vive le France'?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • elbowloh
    ddraver said:

Bernhard Cornwell researches the technical aspects of his books pretty well, so I'm assuming they did.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh

"About four p.m., the enemy's artillery in front of us ceased firing all of a sudden, and we saw large masses of cavalry advance: not a man present who survived could have forgotten in after life the awful grandeur of that charge. You discovered at a distance what appeared to be an overwhelming, long moving line, which, ever advancing, glittered like a stormy wave of the sea when it catches the sunlight. On they came until they got near enough, whilst the very earth seemed to vibrate beneath the thundering tramp of the mounted host. One might suppose that nothing could have resisted the shock of this terrible moving mass. They were the famous cuirassiers, almost all old soldiers, who had distinguished themselves on most of the battlefields of Europe. In an almost incredibly short period they were within twenty yards of us, shouting "Vive l'Empereur!" The word of command, "Prepare to receive cavalry", had been given, every man in the front ranks knelt, and a wall bristling with steel, held together by steady hands, presented itself to the infuriated cuirassiers.

— Captain Rees Howell Gronow, Foot Guards.[145]"

From wikipedia about the battle of waterloo https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Waterloo

This is the citation reference:
    Gronow, R.H. (1862), Reminiscences of Captain Gronow, London, ISBN 978-1-4043-2792-4
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    edited June 2021
    elbowloh said:

ddraver said:

Bernhard Cornwell researches the technical aspects of his books pretty well, so I'm assuming they did.
    Yeah, as you say it was Vive L'Emepreur rather than Vive Le France and I think he's covered it in the historical notes in the back of some of the books which are a very good read. He's open about where he takes artistic licence but mainly bases the story on factual events.
  • ddraver
    Be interesting if it was 'in time' or if it was a war cry
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    ddraver said:

Be interesting if it was 'in time' or if it was a war cry

In the gaps between the drum beat of the Pas de Charge from memory (of the books, not of being at the battles!).
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    ddraver said:

Is there any evidence whatsoever that the French troops 'charged' into battle chanting Vive . Le . France in unison :)

https://youtu.be/HM-E2H1ChJM
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    daniel_b said:

daniel_b said:

Two from All4 Walter Presents.

The Hunter - set in the early 90's and based on a true story, it centres around one man specifically as part of an anti mafia unit - 8 episodes in and very good so far.
    https://channel4.com/programmes/the-hunter

Deutschland 89 - the final part of the trilogy that started with Deutschland 83.
    Good to see the other two for the back story, 86 wasn't quite up the standard of 83, but it felt to me like 89 was back up to the standard of the original.
    https://channel4.com/programmes/deutschland-89

TBH, I've found The Hunter a bit slow to get into. Just finished episode four and things are finally starting to move.

I watched a very similar, but better show on Prime, about a prosecutor who returns to Sicily, from Rome to investigate a Mafia hit on his best mate.
    Can't remember the name, though. Sorry.

The other one (If it was set in the 70s) you mention, sounds a lot like Maltese: The Mafia Detective.
    It was on All4, but looks to be no more.
    That's the one.

I have enjoyed the recent feature length Italian "commissario" on More4 too.
    Rocco Schiavone has a stunning Alpine setting and the usual Italian components, plus a decent back story which helps to explain Schiavone's rather brittle demeanour.
    I am yet to watch the final part of series 1, which promises to be a strong entry.
    So far, it's been good enough for four series to be made.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Onegear
    Onegear Posts: 76
    and very memorable villains: Sir Henry Simmerson and Sgt Hakeswille (Pete Postlewaite sp?)

"A man who loses the King's colours, has no friends"
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,923
    Haha, I'm watching Onedin Line for the first time in 40 years, not least to see what bits of Exeter and Topsham were used (I knew neither at the time), and to admire the foresight of the shipbuilders in the mid 19th century who put safety railings using hex bolts and painted white, so that actors wouldn't fall off when pretending to be thrown around in a storm at sea while having buckets of water thrown at them.

Actually, so far, not nearly as cringeworthy as some of the 70's productions.

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,588

daniel_b said:

daniel_b said:

The Hunter - set in the early 90's and based on a true story, it centres around one man specifically as part of an anti mafia unit - 8 episodes in and very good so far.

Deutschland 89 - the final part of the trilogy that started with Deutschland 83.
    Good to see the other two for the back story, 86 wasn't quite up the standard of 83, but it felt to me like 89 was back up to the standard of the original.

TBH, I've found The Hunter a bit slow to get into. Just finished episode four and things are finally starting to move.

I watched a very similar, but better show on Prime, about a prosecutor who returns to Sicily, from Rome to investigate a Mafia hit on his best mate.

The other one (If it was set in the 70s) you mention, sounds a lot like Maltese: The Mafia Detective.
    That's the one.

Rocco Schiavone has a stunning Alpine setting and the usual Italian components, plus a decent back story which helps to explain Schiavone's rather brittle demeanour.
    I am yet to watch the final part of series 1, which promises to be a strong entry.

I stumbled on Rocco through books earlier this year I think it was.
    I like detective novels, but really enjoy ones set in other locations, France, Italy, Canada, Venice etc, you get the idea.
    My brother lives in Champoluc, so when I saw this was set in the Aosta valley I was pretty excited.
    Started reading, and on the first page I think it was, Champoluc is mentioned, and that is of course the scene of the actual event in the book.
    I have to be honest, I didn't find the book that well written, might be to do with translation, and I struggled with the first program of the series - having said that, it was 4 in the morning, and I was up as I was struggling having had vaccination number one the day before, so it sounds like I should give it another chance.

Not everyones cup of tea, but I also really like (Though it took me a while to get into them) the Inspector Montalbano series - now ended sadly, but all (nearly) available on iplayer, and generally a fairly gentle amble with stunning scenery and views to be seen.
    On the same note, Young Montalbano is also well worth a watch, same scenery, and some might say better writing even.
    If you know the characters, Livia is far improved in this version, she is a bit 2 dimensional in the main series.

The author, production designer and possibly director (of original Montalbano) if I recall correctly, all passed away within a couple of years of each other from 2019.
    They managed to make a few more episodes, probably already in the pipeline, but then they decided to call it a day. Bit of an Italian institution it would seem.

On the subject of All4 Walter presents French series, I have highly enjoyed:
    Vanished by the lake
    Killer by the lake
    Fear by the lake
    The other mother
    The Announcer (Set in the 60s I think)
    Torn
    Just one look
    Detective Cain
    Philarmonia
    No second chance
    Resistance (WW2)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • elbowloh
    I enjoy Montalbano too, albeit the comedy sergeant character is grating, although typically Italian tv-wise.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,415
    daniel_b said:

daniel_b said:

daniel_b said:

That's the one.

I like detective novels, but really enjoy ones set in other locations, France, Italy, Canada, Venice etc, you get the idea.
    My brother lives in Champoluc, so when I saw this was set in the Aosta valley I was pretty excited.
    Started reading, and on the first page I think it was, Champoluc is mentioned, and that is of course the scene of the actual event in the book.
    I have to be honest, I didn't find the book that well written, might be to do with translation, and I struggled with the first program of the series - having said that, it was 4 in the morning, and I was up as I was struggling having had vaccination number one the day before, so it sounds like I should give it another chance.

Not everyones cup of tea, but I also really like (Though it took me a while to get into them) the Inspector Montalbano series - now ended sadly, but all (nearly) available on iplayer, and generally a fairly gentle amble with stunning scenery and views to be seen.
    On the same note, Young Montalbano is also well worth a watch, same scenery, and some might say better writing even.
    If you know the characters, Livia is far improved in this version, she is a bit 2 dimensional in the main series.

The author, production designer and possibly director (of original Montalbano) if I recall correctly, all passed away within a couple of years of each other from 2019.
    They managed to make a few more episodes, probably already in the pipeline, but then they decided to call it a day. Bit of an Italian institution it would seem.

Vanished by the lake
    Killer by the lake
    Fear by the lake
    The other mother
    Torn
    Just one look
    Detective Cain
    Philarmonia
    No second chance
    Resistance (WW2)
    Note to self, avoid lakes.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • blazing_saddles
    daniel_b said:

daniel_b said:

daniel_b said:

That's the one.

Vanished by the lake
    Killer by the lake
    Fear by the lake
    The other mother
    Torn
    Just one look

Philarmonia
    No second chance
    Resistance (WW2)
    We obviously watch the same stuff, as I've watched pretty much everything on that list..
    TV5Monde used to be good for Detective Cain, when it was available on the skybox, as there are quite a few more series. Unfortunately, they have recently changed the lead actor and now Lucie is leaving.
    Cherif was another good one on there.
    I don't use the app so much these days.

On the subject of Inspector Montalbano, I've been inside the police station in Scicli and stood under his balcony on Punta Secca beach front.
    So I think you have an idea of how firm a favourite he is with quite a few of my family.
    Yeah, a pity old Andrea Camilleri popped his clogs, but he didn't start writing the books until he was in his mid 70s.
  • daniel_b

We obviously watch the same stuff, as I've watched pretty much everything on that list..
    TV5Monde used to be good for Detective Cain, when it was available on the skybox, as there are quite a few more series. Unfortunately, they have recently changed the lead actor and now Lucie is leaving.

On the subject of Inspector Montalbano, I've been inside the police station in Scicli and stood under his balcony on Punta Secca beach front.
    So I think you have an idea of how firm a favourite he is with quite a few of my family.
    Yeah, a pity old Andrea Camilleri popped his clogs, but he didn't start writing the books until he was in his mid 70s.

That's a coincidence, I assumed I was alone in my viewing choices :D

The 'by the lake' ones are not the best actual story lines, but the scenery and general ambience is pretty good, and it does build some tension - not in the way that Spiral does for example, now that is a fine series.

I did enjoy Cain, and noticed there were a ton more series - I half wondered if whoever sells the first or not all of the series to a place like All4 so that people will watch it and then want to somehow find the remaining series.
    I had seen that the lucie character was leaving, but how can they replace Cain?!
    A bit like Taggart without Taggart, very strange.

Nice to hear of a fellow appreciator of Montalbano - I've been to Italy many times, but
    not yet been down the Sicily side of the country - Montalbanos house is now, and was a B&B, so you can stay there, though I saw a few reviews of people who had booked it and either had it cancelled at short notice, or were told they had to hurry to leave as filming was about to start!
    Not a problem anymore you would assume.
    I've seen pictures from the police station etc, presumably it is effectively a tourist attraction only now?
    Camilleri did well though, 93 is not a bad innings by anyones reckoning, and it looks like he had all his faculties pretty much, if not all the way to the end.

What's your take on the Young Montalbano?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • elbowloh
    I did a week in Sicily cycling, mainly to do Etna. It was before Montalbano took off here in the UK though, so didn't know anything about it at the time.

When we arrived, the roads were covered in black ash, following a minor erruption, thinking it would stop our riding. By the time we woke up the next morning, pretty much all the roads had been cleared!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    daniel_b said:

Wasn't much of Taggart without Taggart?
    I didn't watch it but heard rumours.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited June 2021
    daniel_b said:

That's a coincidence, I assumed I was alone in my viewing choices :D

The 'by the lake' ones are not the best actual story lines, but the scenery and general ambience is pretty good, and it does build some tension - not in the way that Spiral does for example, now that is a fine series.

I did enjoy Cain, and noticed there were a ton more series - I half wondered if whoever sells the first or not all of the series to a place like All4 so that people will watch it and then want to somehow find the remaining series.
    I had seen that the lucie character was leaving, but how can they replace Cain?!

Nice to hear of a fellow appreciator of Montalbano - I've been to Italy many times, but
    not yet been down the Sicily side of the country - Montalbanos house is now, and was a B&B, so you can stay there, though I saw a few reviews of people who had booked it and either had it cancelled at short notice, or were told they had to hurry to leave as filming was about to start!
    Not a problem anymore you would assume.
    I've seen pictures from the police station etc, presumably it is effectively a tourist attraction only now?
    Camilleri did well though, 93 is not a bad innings by anyones reckoning, and it looks like he had all his faculties pretty much, if not all the way to the end.

What's your take on the Young Montalbano?
    I like Young Montalbano a lot. Too much hair mind. Livia is stunning. Mimi is great.

The new Cain:

Lucie's replacement, Soz, but non, juste non.

• ddraver
    This is going to depend a lot on how much you can stand Clarkson but Clarksons Farm has "dropped" on amazon and...it's actually rather good.

Clarkson is a bit more normal in it if, like me, you're 50-50 on the slow burn but increasing over-dramatisation of Top Gear/Grand Tour.

It is a proper insight into the realities of farming life and his genuine love and respect for the British countryside and farmers certainly shines through.
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    ddraver said:

This is going to depend a lot on how much you can stand Clarkson but Clarksons Farm has "dropped" on amazon and...it's actually rather good.

Clarkson is a bit more normal in it if, like me, you're 50-50 on the slow burn but increasing over-dramatisation of Top Gear/Grand Tour.

It is a proper insight into the realities of farming life and his genuine love and respect for the British countryside and farmers certainly shines through.

Heard him being interviewed about it the other day and it sounds like he's become quite passionate about it.
  • daniel_b
    edited June 2021

I like Young Montalbano a lot. Too much hair mind. Livia is stunning. Mimi is great.

The new Cain:

Lucie's replacement, Soz, but non, juste non.

Yep me too, not bothered about the hair, and he reminds me of a younger Alonso, from his Renault days.
    Livia IS stunning I wholeheartedly agree, just wish she was in it more!
    For the uninititated, here are a couple of pics of the aforesaidmentioned lady.

Took me a while to get to like Mimi, but I think it works well, and a lot of the character traits they link to old montalbano are more subtle than some of the more obvious ones - very intelligently done I think.

Ah I see, so they have literally parachuted in a different character for Cain, I thought they had changed the lead character as opposed to just the actor.
    And agreed, that is no Lucie replacement - think I read it only made it to two further series, and then was cancelled.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • elbowloh
    edited June 2021
    Was a massive fan of Due South when it first came out in the UK, as it was a bit weird. Just discovered the whole lot are available for free on YouTube (legit, not illegal copies) and watched the pilot last night. Going to work my way through them.

Thank you kindly
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Due South is periodically on one of the Sky channels. Season 3 at the mo, I think.
  • elbowloh

Due South is periodically on one of the Sky channels. Season 3 at the mo, I think.

Yeah I saw that, but wanted to start from the beginning
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    elbowloh said:

Was a massive fan of Due South when it first came out in the UK, as it was a bit weird. Just discovered the whole lot are available for free on YouTube (legit, not illegal copies) and watched the pilot last night. Going to work my way through them.

Thank you kindly

If you enjoy that quirky Canadian sense of humour then seek out Northern Exposure.
    I can't find a source but would like to see if it stands the test of time.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • daniel_b
    elbowloh said:

Thank you kindly

Thankyou kindly indeed, cracking series, really quirky and different way back when it came out.
    I have the dvd boxset siund track, and bought a Colin James cd iff the back of one of the episodes (may have been a 2 parter) that used one igmf his tracks.

I think it suffered a bit when the main detective changed, and they had a bit of a strange reason behind it iirc.

Pretty sure the mounty (Paul Gross?) was, or became producer as well.
    Recall the film length pilot when it came out too.
    Good times.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,923
    Pross said:

ddraver said:

Heard him being interviewed about it the other day and it sounds like he's become quite passionate about it.

I reckon @surrey_commuter is the target audience...
  • elbowloh
    pblakeney said:

elbowloh said:

Thank you kindly

If you enjoy that quirky Canadian sense of humour then seek out Northern Exposure.
    Yeah liked that too (I've referenced it on here in the past)

It was set in Alaska however ....
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    elbowloh said:

pblakeney said:

elbowloh said:

Thank you kindly

Yeah liked that too (I've referenced it on here in the past)

It was set in Alaska however ....
    Okay, "that quirky style". 😉
    Turns out it was filmed in Washington though. 😱
    Veronese68 wrote: