TV Series - Reviews and Recommendations......

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,576
    I've been watching Shooter on Netflix. It started off really well but as with so many of these programmes it didn't really have enough story to do an entire 10 episode series and series 2 and 3 have resorted to a fairly standard Government conspiracy where you don't know the good guys from the bad guys and they try to use plot twists to cover up gaping holes in the storyline. It feels a bit like Call of Duty where they keep finding another level of conspiracy until you lose track / interest.

I've stuck with it and it is entertaining enough but I do wish programme makers would accept having one good, and possibly short, series instead of trying to drag it out. I doubt I would have stayed with it had it been an old school wait a week for the next episode series.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    As alluded to on another thread, Mare of Eastown is a fabulous bit of TV.

Best thing I've watched this year

Second place would go to Your Honour with Bryan Cranston in the lead role.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Yep, the Mare of Eastown hype is real!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Not sure if it’s been mentioned previously but I enjoyed Startup.

On Netflix and features Martin Freeman. Lots of ambiguity around the characters and the morals of their actions but a compact and very watchable drama.
    2 series and comes to a natural conclusion with no attempt to leave things open for later series.

Dated around 2016-17 but I’d never heard of it.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618
    Was that new Sean Bean/Stephen Graham prison thing any good last night?
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    I thought it was pretty good. Only seen 1 ep so far though
  • pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876
    Watched all three episodes of Time on iPlayer. Really well acted drama about prison life, which can switch from mundane to terrifying in seconds. Stephen Graham is superb.

Well worth a watch.
  • ddraver
    Just watched it. Also confirm.

Stephen Graham is truly a man of many faces in a way dear Sean Bean just isn't... 😁
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    ddraver said:

Just watched it. Also confirm.

Stephen Graham is truly a man of many faces in a way dear Sean Bean just isn't... 😁

Bernard Cornwell wrote the later Sharpe novels with a bit of back story to explain away London born and bred Sharpe having a Yorkshire accent after Bean started playing him on TV.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited June 2021
    Sean Bean certainly can do accents. He was a member of the RSC and wasn't doing a Yorkshire accent in Romeo and Juliet I bet, probably similar to his accent in the lord of the rings.

He does posh English in Goldeneye and has an Irish accent in Patriot Games.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    elbowloh said:

Sean Bean certainly can do accents. He was a member of the RSC and wasn't doing a Yorkshire accent in Romeo and Juliet I bet, probably similar to his accent in the lord of the rings.

He does posh English in Goldeneye and has an Irish accent in Patriot Games.

Yeah, he either can't do working class London or couldn't be arsed. Cornwell was apparently so impressed with his portrayal though that in his later books he introduced a story of him having to flee London to go to Yorkshire as a kid (he also stopped mentioning the character in the book having black hair).

His accent in Goldeneye always feels out of place, he doesn't suit posh.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    I always admired the way Michael Caine could get away with so little acting by an actor. No matter what role he was playing he was always Michael Caine. 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,813
    Sean Connery played an Arab shiek with Scottish accent.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,413

Not forgetting the Russian sub commander with a Scottish accent. He was very versatile.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Onegear
    Onegear Posts: 76
    seanoconn said:

Not forgetting the Russian sub commander with a Scottish accent. He was very versatile.
    Vhary vhershitile, indeedh
  • elbowloh
    Connery, also had a Scottish accent whilst playing a Spanish swordsman called Ramirez in Highlander.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Onegear
    Its probably a good thing that was released in 1986. Im sure some people would have something to say about his casting now :D
  • ddraver
    I hesitate to call it a TV recommendation ( ;) ) but there is a youtube channel that just has a load of 2 or 3 minute clips of Sharpe and it's a glorious way to waste time.

It's also one of the few places on the internet where the comments are universally friendly and good-natured. That's Interneting!
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    elbowloh said:

Connery, also had a Scottish accent whilst playing a Spanish swordsman called Ramirez in Highlander.

Whilst the Highlander in question had Lambert's strange French - American accent.
  • Onegear
    ddraver said:

I hesitate to call it a TV recommendation ( ;) ) but there is a youtube channel that just has a load of 2 or 3 minute clips of Sharpe and it's a glorious way to waste time.

It's also one of the few places on the internet where the comments are universally friendly and good-natured. That's Interneting!

Had to ask YT not to recommend that channel as it kept making me want to go back and binge the whole series. Except the last two which werent as interesting. Should have ended at Waterloo.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,586
    edited June 2021
    Two from All4 Walter Presents.

The Hunter - set in the early 90's and based on a true story, it centres around one man specifically as part of an anti mafia unit - 8 episodes in and very good so far.
    https://channel4.com/programmes/the-hunter

Deutschland 89 - the final part of the trilogy that started with Deutschland 83.
    Good to see the other two for the back story, 86 wasn't quite up the standard of 83, but it felt to me like 89 was back up to the standard of the original.
    https://channel4.com/programmes/deutschland-89
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,413
    daniel_b said:

The Hunter - set in the early 90's and based on a true story, it centres around one man specifically as part of an anti mafia unit - 8 episodes in and very good so far.

Deutschland 89 - the final part of the trilogy that started with Deutschland 83.
    Good to see the other two for the back story, 86 wasn't quite up the standard of 83, but it felt to me like 89 was back up to the standard of the original.

Do enjoy a bit of Walter presents and particularly watching detectives freezing their bits off trying to solve shit in the snow, while I relax in my armchair with a nice hot cuppa.

Really enjoyed Deutschland 83 but couldn’t get into 86 so gave up.

Black Spot, Netflix quirky crime investigation series set in France near the German border. Beautiful mountainous forrest scenery, interesting plot filled with the kind of eccentric characters you would expect to find in this region. Slightly supernatural but not over the top. 2 seasons, thoroughly enjoyable.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • elbowloh
    ddraver said:

I used to love the Sharpe series, read all the books too. I think i might have the DVD box set somewhere, albeit, the DVD player is not hooked up.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • daniel_b
    edited June 2021
    seanoconn said:

daniel_b said:

Do enjoy a bit of Walter presents and particularly watching detectives freezing their bits off trying to solve censored in the snow, while I relax in my armchair with a nice hot cuppa.

Really enjoyed Deutschland 83 but couldn’t get into 86 so gave up.
    We had two goes at 86 - it was a bit of a slog, but picked up at the end.
    89 is good throughout though, I'd heartily recommend it if you enjoyed 83 that much, it's back to form, and they fill you in on a few bits of backstory for what happened in 86, so I don't think you'd miss out on much.

I totally agree, I love watching the foreign detective dramas, Scandi or French/Italian ones tend to be my absolute favourites.
    It's quite funny in the French ones you see a lot of the same actors in many different series, sometimes playing law enforcement in more than one series.
    Subtitled ones I find quite good to watch whilst on the turbo too.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,813
    edited June 2021
    daniel_b said:

TBH, I've found The Hunter a bit slow to get into. Just finished episode four and things are finally starting to move.

I watched a very similar, but better show on Prime, about a prosecutor who returns to Sicily, from Rome to investigate a Mafia hit on his best mate.
    Can't remember the name, though. Sorry.

I see that The Pleasure Principle has been recently added to All4Walter. I have recently finished that on S4C Clic and thought it very good, if pretty complex.
    It's a cross border procedural, so a fair chunk of it is in dodgy English.

S4C Clic is a surprisingly good source for foreign shows as they must have an agreement with Walter.
    I am currently watching The Crimson Rivers, series 2 on there, series 1 having been on Channel 4.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • daniel_b
    edited June 2021

daniel_b said:

TBH, I've found The Hunter a bit slow to get into. Just finished episode four and things are finally starting to move.

I watched a very similar, but better show on Prime, about a prosecutor who returns to Sicily, from Rome to investigate a Mafia hit on his best mate.
    Can't remember the name, though. Sorry.

The Hunter is a slow burner for sure, but really nicely shot I thought, and it doesn't feel hurried, but for me exudes quality.
    Certainly quite a lot of scene setting going on, but yes things are about to ramp up significantly for you!
    I see there is a second and possibly 3rd series, but nothing yet on All4.

The other one (If it was set in the 70s) you mention, sounds a lot like Maltese: The Mafia Detective.
    It was on All4, but looks to be no more.

What a series, one of the best pieces of television I have ever had the pleasure to watch, and I have a feeling very few people in this country ever saw it.
    I'm sure I harped on about it earlier up this thread.
    The opening sequence in episode one was mighty on it's own.
    Gutted that it apparently never warranted a second series :-(
    Think I will try and buy a copy to keep, though it seems finding one with english subtitles is a challenge to put it mildly.

EDIT: Found the opening sequence here - music makes it I am sure, but so cool.
    3 minutes of your life well worth spending if you can imho.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=elWiKHcW09I
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Pross
    elbowloh said:

ddraver said:

I used to love the Sharpe series, read all the books too. I think i might have the DVD box set somewhere, albeit, the DVD player is not hooked up.
    I had most on VHS and have the DVD box set. I used to love the programme (always good for spotting then unknown actors in early roles) but after re-watching them having read the books the battle scenes now seem pathetic. It obviously didn't have the budget to do them justice and feels like it would really benefit from them being re-made by Netflix or HBO with them throwing millions at it.
  • ddraver
    Is there any evidence whatsoever that the French troops 'charged' into battle chanting Vive . Le . France in unison :)
    - @ddraver
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Sharpe was excellent.
    Plus it featured Caroline Langrishe and Liz Hurley.

*This post will self destruct in 3 months
  • elbowloh
    Pross said:

elbowloh said:

ddraver said:

I had most on VHS and have the DVD box set. I used to love the programme (always good for spotting then unknown actors in early roles) but after re-watching them having read the books the battle scenes now seem pathetic. It obviously didn't have the budget to do them justice and feels like it would really benefit from them being re-made by Netflix or HBO with them throwing millions at it.
    Yeah, there are scenes that are supposed to have whole divisions fighting and there's barely 5o there. A company seems to be about 20 soldiers.

Mark Strong and Daniel Craig both feature as baddies in the series i seem to remember.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk