TV Series - Reviews and Recommendations......

Comments

• joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Just watched all of Ozark, which is brilliant.

Also season 1 of Fargo is fantastic. Billy Bob Thornton is the best baddie of all time. It's better than the film in my opinion.

Looking forward to watching season 2, but sad that BBT isn't in it.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    People just do nothing, and This country.

Both mockumentaries, the first is 5 series, and set in London, the latter is only 2 series, and set in the Cotswolds.

Both are superbly written and acted comedy, for me the first one is just that bit more special than the latter
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Homecoming on Amazon prime.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Recently given Luther a go. How did I miss this originally. Great that each series is "just" 4 episodes so there's very little flab. Ruth Wilson is great too, properly hamming it up.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Luther is fantastic. And new series back next week.

Vikings is a fave of mine on Amazon. Enough episodes to get j to too.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Only recently discovered "The Thick of It" on Netflix. Just brilliant, Peter Capaldi has enhanced my swearing beyond belief. The whole programme just sums up how I imagine politics to be in real life.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Mars (Potential Spoiler Alert). Caught up with the final two episodes of the second season last night and thought it was just brilliant (as, indeed, was the first season as well). The first season was all about the attempts to set up the first base on Mars in advance of a larger colony of scientists and the second season continues with the original (but expanded) base and the arrival of commercial interests in the form a mining company whose intentions for the planet are at odds with the original colonists.

I’m very far from an expert in such things but to it seemed like a fairly realistic and believable attempt to tell the story and also to warn us about the risks of treating the environment on Mars in the disgraceful way that we have treated much of our own planet. Very highly recommended.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Counterpart is easily my favourite TV drama right now. It’s just stunning. Absolutely stunning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterpart_(TV_series)

It originally came out at the end of 2017 and ran into 2018 and the second season started at the end of 2018 and is running into 2019 – I only discovered it when S2 started (which amazes me as I like to think I’m on top of my TV). It’s produced by the US cable channel Starz which Amazon Prime will provide at charge, or it can be acquired (cough) via various other means (cough). I reckon it’s only a matter of time before BBC4 or C4 pick it up. It’s got to be.

Think the best John le Carre meets Philip K Dick with a touch of Grahame Greene starring two Oscar winning J.K. Simmons as well as a ridiculously high end European cast including our own Olivia Williams, Stephen Rea and Viserys Targaryen. It’s set in a pair of bleached out Berlins and it’s slickly filmed.

If you follow review sites, Rotten Tomatoes has given both seasons 100% which is pretty much unheard of. It’s that good.
  • ayjaycee
    .............J.K. Simmons as well as a ridiculously high end European cast including our own Olivia Williams, Stephen Rea and Viserys Targaryen.
    Totally agree on Counterpart but you do realise that Game of Thrones isn't actually real don't you?
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • ayjaycee wrote:
    .............J.K. Simmons as well as a ridiculously high end European cast including our own Olivia Williams, Stephen Rea and Viserys Targaryen.
    Totally agree on Counterpart but you do realise that Game of Thrones isn't actually real don't you?

Of course it is.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee wrote:

Of course it is.
    :D:D:D
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Bosch on Amazon
    Love it

When is next series of "Spiral"?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • ayjaycee
    SecretSam wrote:
    Bosch on Amazon
    Love it

We mentioned Bosch a while ago and you are spot on - IMHO one of the consistently best things on TV in recent years. Look out for a new season which I think kicks off on Amazon this coming summer.

While I'm typing, I can also recommend Star Trek Discovery. The second season is now underway and I think it's great and, just maybe, could become the best Star Trek series thus far if it's given a decent run.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    ayjaycee wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    Bosch on Amazon
    Love it

We mentioned Bosch a while ago and you are spot on - IMHO one of the consistently best things on TV in recent years. Look out for a new season which I think kicks off on Amazon this coming summer.

While I'm typing, I can also recommend Star Trek Discovery. The second season is now underway and I think it's great and, just maybe, could become the best Star Trek series thus far if it's given a decent run.

+1 for Bosch. Perfectly adapted for TV. Last series was excellent.
    Also agree about Discovery.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Russian Doll on Netflix is quite simply brilliant. Superb soundtrack as well.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Russian Doll on Netflix is quite simply brilliant. Superb soundtrack as well.

it is, she has some killer lines to make you spit your vino out.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    Just finished watching The Looming Tower On Amazon. Really good insight into the background to 9/11 and the way the CIA / FBI infighting may have prevented the attackers being caught. I appreciate that it's a dramatised version of events but I'm amazed some of the CIA in particular weren't jailed for their behaviour.
  • Just watched first series of tin star on four player. First episode slow going but then the series goes mental. Great stuff.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531

I hated the first episode, but I hear that it does get better, so I will stick with it.

Having just watched all 3 Fargo's (which are amazing) back-to-back maybe my expectations are too high.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    joe2008 wrote:

I hated the first episode, but I hear that it does get better, so I will stick with it.

Having just watched all 3 Fargo's (which are amazing) back-to-back maybe my expectations are too high.

Fargo is TV of the highest quality, Russian Doll nowhere that standard, but I still enjoyed it.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Just watched first series of tin star on four player. First episode slow going but then the series goes mental. Great stuff.

Just finished watching season 2. Baffling storylines, massive plot holes, completely unreal and unbelievable, and yet....Gripping, moving, funny and compelling. Tim Roth is sensational and holds it all together but some great performances from the supporting cast too. Season 3?
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Watched first episode of Dead Pixels and had a few laughs,this might be a keeper.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    Mr Goo wrote:
    ayjaycee wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    Bosch on Amazon
    Love it

+1 for Bosch. Perfectly adapted for TV. Last series was excellent.
    Also agree about Discovery.

I followed the Bosch recommendation. I ended up watching all 4 series within a couple of weeks, it's nice to see police dramas not rushing through and showing at least a bit of the procedure and issues that must frustrate real life investigations. Looking forward to the new series now.
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    ayjaycee wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    Bosch on Amazon
    Love it

Even with a character like Tilly? She is often on the bridge yet acts and speaks like a schoolgirl. It's got a long way to go before it's anywhere close to TNG or DS9
  • ayjaycee
    Yes, even with Tilly! Nothing in the second series thus far has changed my original opinion.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Yes, even with Tilly! Nothing in the second series thus far has changed my original opinion.

2nd series of Discovery is excellent. Tilly becoming more of a peripheral character this time around, which is good. I can see the story line in this series trekking onto series 3.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Just watched the first couple of episodes of Hannah on Amazon, good mix of gratuitous violence, teen road trip and other nonsense.
  • ayjaycee
    Just watched the first couple of episodes of Hannah on Amazon, good mix of gratuitous violence, teen road trip and other nonsense.
    We saw the first episode a few weeks ago and was impressed enough to carry on watching - your review was spot on and we now plan on starting on the rest this week.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    Mr Goo wrote:
    ayjaycee wrote:

2nd series of Discovery is excellent. Tilly becoming more of a peripheral character this time around, which is good. I can see the story line in this series trekking onto series 3.

I've really enjoyed these last few episodes though I'd like to see Pike developed more. Tilly was a strange one as ST doesn't have a history of having characters like that.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If Tilly was the winner of the half marathon the other week - I think WADA aren't doing their duty in the future...

Derry Girls and Home are great on channel four.

Line of Duty returns tonight on BBC. Excellent series.