TDF 2017: Stage 8 -Dole - Station des rousses 187.5kms *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,811
edited July 2017 in Pro race
Right, as we hit the hills, I'm ditch the Tour blurb for something more substantial.

Start 12h25 (Local time)
Tour de France 2017 Route stage 8: Dole - Station des Rousses
Saturday, 8 July 2017 - At 187.5 kilometres, stage 8 in the Tour de France travels from Dole to Station des Rousses. The race takes in three cols in the Jura mountains . Following an 11.7 kilometres climb at 6.4% the last 11 kilometres are played out on rolling roads.

The first 28 kilometres of stage 8 are the quiet before the storm. Then, starting in the village Arbois, the road goes up and down until the dyings metres of the race. Yet, the first real climb looms with 95 kilometres done. The Col de la Joux, peaking at 1,035 metres, is a 6.1 kilometres ascent with an average gradient of 4.6%.

A long drop takes the riders to the foot of the Côte de Viry. This is a 7.6 kilometres climb at 5.2%, that’s crested at kilometre 138.5 in the saddle.

Following a hilly section the pilots plunge down to Saint-Claude for the start of the finale. The last climb is called Montee de la Combe de Laisia Les Molunes, which is not only a long name, it’s a long ascent, too. Not the toughest t you can think of though. The Montee de la Combe de Laisia Les Molunes amounts to 11.7 kilometres, while the slope is averaging 6.4%. The summit lies at an elevation of 1,202 metres.

Still 11 kilometres left to race, in which to descend to 1,107 metres. So that’s not a descent at all. A rolling section runs to the finish line in the ski station of Les Rousses, close to the Swiss border.

In the Tour de France of 2010, Sylvain Chavanel soloed to victory in Station des Rousses.

Map:-
CARTE.jpg

Profile:-
PROFIL.png

KoM:-
Km 101.5 - Col de la Joux6.1 kilometre-long climb at 4.7% - category 3

Km 138.5 - Côte de Viry (748 m)7.6 kilometre-long climb at 5.2% - category 2

Km 175.5 - Côte de la Combe de Laisia-Les Molunes (1 202 m)11.7 kilometre-long climb at 6.4% - category 1

Final Kms:-
PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

Start town:-Dole

Athletics mainly contributed in the sporting reputation of the city. Roger Bambuck, Guy Drut, Jean-Claude Nallet are among those who took part, from the sixties to the eighties, in the youth training camps of Dole. In terms of cycling, the birth city of Louis Pasteur welcomed the Tour de France twice. In 1939, Luxemburger François Neuens won there after a breakaway while Maurice Archambaud claimed on that same day but in the afternoon a time-trial between Dole and Dijon. In 1992, it was in Dole that a stage headed towards Saint-Gervais Mont Blanc won by Swiss rider Rolf Jaermann.

The Finish:- Station des rousses

In 2010, was decided the first and only stage finish on the soil of Olympic Nordic Combined champion in Vancouver, Jason Lamy-Chappuis. The day's hero was to be Sylvain Chavanel, smart enough to join the good breakaway before taking off in the final kilometres of the climb. Already a stage winner a few days before in Spa, the never tiring attacker finished the job on his own. A stage success and a special bonus for the Frenchman who re-captured the Yellow Jersey he had lost on the cobbles of Northern France in Arenberg Porte du Hainaut.

The obvious choice for food must be....

Comte-800.jpg

but the wine in the Jura is.......unusual, a bit of an acquired taste.
So, a bit more cheese is in order.

Vin_Jaune.jpg

The other famous wine of the Jura, plus some nuts under a cheese dome.

ec7df8647e60201f41a6baddfb64144f--henri-lavender.jpg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,284
    And, of course:

iojob.10yo.jpg
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    Vin jaune is perfectly drinkable, but a bit expensive. Keeps a long time too.

The odd thing is that the summit at les Rousses is called La Dôle. So the stage is really Dole to La Dôle

pano.jpg?imgmax=800
    La Dôle - les Rousses
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Blazing Saddles, thanks for doing these headers. They are nice.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Pics from the last time they finished here in 2010

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dotcyclin ... 472807952/
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Heading out to for this first thing tomorrow. Hack to Les Rousses from Geneva airport - hopefully ahead of road closures....

Hmm, comte....
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    +1 on Comte
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,811
    Heading out to for this first thing tomorrow. Hack to Les Rousses from Geneva airport - hopefully ahead of road closures....

Hmm, comte....

It's that time again. RR on her travels once more.
    a2cec8a52f0736ed4849a2e7f565d016.jpg
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Heading out to for this first thing tomorrow. Hack to Les Rousses from Geneva airport - hopefully ahead of road closures....

Hmm, comte....

It's that time again. RR on her travels once more.
    a2cec8a52f0736ed4849a2e7f565d016.jpg

I hope she doesn't take any shît from that woman in the red shoes.
  • IT ME
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Some local produce.

dole-pineapple.png
    Correlation is not causation.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,284
    There's probably some filthy joke to be made about Tony Gallopin winning the slutspurt (that's Danish for finishing sprint, I kid you not) in Rousse's station. But I for one am far too mature to make it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • above_the_cows
    There's probably some filthy joke to be made about Tony Gallopin winning the slutspurt (that's Danish for finishing sprint, I kid you not) in Rousse's station. But I for one am far too mature to make it.

I had been trying to come up with something involving Marion Rousse and couldn't quite get there...
  • above_the_cows
    Anyway we have some lovely Cows in Le Comté country:

montbeliardcow.jpg

Keefers_BeautifulAnimals5007.jpg

4796-la-montbeliarde-donne-son-lait-pour-le-1500x0-1.jpg

20170405_192605.jpg
  • above_the_cows
    And we also have some LOVELY Comtois horses:

This one's one of Froome's fat sprinters...

ae9d80b2566d89d5030727a7641c9834.jpg

Meanwhile this dude is a real Trotteur de Charme...

chevalcomtois.jpg
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    I have 88p each way on Ben Swift at 300/1.

88p is the most they'll let me bet - this is why I'm confident there are no betting scams in cycling.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    mamil314 wrote:
    Blazing Saddles, thanks for doing these headers. They are nice.

Agreed. Make me smile in the mornings
  • That's a great cow collective and a lovely trotteur de charme, AtC

So. Stevo C for this stage?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,542
    RichN95 wrote:

88p is the most they'll let me bet - this is why I'm confident there are no betting scams in cycling.

Has to be one of the thinnest markets available no?
  • rick_chasey
    That's a great cow collective and a lovely trotteur de charme, AtC

BMC to line it out for 180km, no?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Yeah. You can bet more on overall jerseys, but stage wins is poor especially for a long shot. Still I get £377 if he wins.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Yeah. You can bet more on overall jerseys, but stage wins is poor especially for a long shot. Still I get £377 if he wins.

You do well to have the patience to wait for the bizarre odds.

I got cheesed off when a few high profile tweeters started highlighting out-of-kilter odds which were usually the same ones I was looking at

Within 10 mins the odds would be ruined.
  • RichN95.
    I got cheesed off when a few high profile tweeters started highlighting out-of-kilter odds which were usually the same ones I was looking at
    I assume that's Dan Lloyd. He is good.

I'm still not over Kruijswijk 150/1 for last year's Giro. The £850 crash.
  • That's a great cow collective and a lovely trotteur de charme, AtC

BMC to line it out for 180km, no?

Obvs :D

Did you catch what Francois Thomazeau was saying on t'podcast this morning about BMC and their mullarkey on the Belles Filles stage?
  • rick_chasey
    What that there is a DS battle raging within BMC?
  • RichN95.
    Did you catch what Francois Thomazeau was saying on t'podcast this morning about BMC and their mullarkey on the Belles Filles stage?
    The thing with BMC on that stage is, while it looked baffling, when ultimately the move went after Aru - Froome, Porte, Martin, Bardet - Porte just sat wheelsucking. They could have put time into the others, but he was obsessed with Froome. I'd be p1ssed off if I was his teammates that he turned down an opportunity to make some profit. (He must have learned at Sky that early narrowing down of the contenders is beneficial)
  • RichN95 wrote:
    The thing with BMC on that stage is, while it looked baffling, when ultimately the move went after Aru - Froome, Porte, Martin, Bardet - Porte just sat wheelsucking. They could have put time into the others, but he was obsessed with Froome. I'd be p1ssed off if I was his teammates that he turned down an opportunity to make some profit. (He must have learned at Sky that early narrowing down of the contenders is beneficial)

I think LRP and Fenton are both too obsessed with each other tbh...which is how Aru skipped off

Fenton prob wont make that mistake again this Tour, mind
  • What that there is a DS battle raging within BMC?

Yeah, that one
  • rick_chasey
    Ought to buy Riis in....
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

I think LRP and Fenton are both too obsessed with each other tbh...which is how Aru skipped off

Fenton prob wont make that mistake again this Tour, mind
    The problem is that unlike the original Fenton, Froome can't chase everything. He has to prioritise. Coming into this race he wouldn't have even known if Aru was the best in his own team. Now he knows - and he had to pay for that knowledge - maybe ten seconds over the market price.
  • rick_chasey
    Week 3 is a long way away for Aru.....