TDF 2017: Stage 5-Vittel - La planche des belles filles 160.5kms *Spoilers*

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:
    LRP seems to be working overtime to convince himself that his former team aren't as strong this year

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de ... -quotes-1/
    Sky had six riders in the top 30. BMC had Roche and Caruso in the top 20, but their fourth rider was 108th. Trek's second rider was 32nd, Movistar's was 42nd.

Yeah, but... do you want to buy a 'pre-owned' watch?

cycling-104th-tour-de-france-2017-stage-3-tag-heuer-watch-stefan-kung-picture-id806650416?s=612x612
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I want to but I just don't know of a website where I could buy one. :wink:
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    You lot need to improve your spoiler threads. 8 pages before there was anything worth reading and it's well past my bedtime.

I knew in my gut I should have gone for Froome but everyone said Porte and they were clearly badly incorrect. More fool me for copying them.

In other news I've bought a really "good" Tag Carrera. Sweepstakes on how long itll last :D
  • above_the_cows
    edited July 2017
    RichN95 wrote:

Nah me neither, someone's missing a trick there.

Would you like some nuts to console yourself? The elephant's not included.
  • EnacheV
    EnacheV Posts: 235
    seems Sky were genuine when they said that Froome will hit peak later in the tour. still improving (Froome) and i'm sure he will be at best in the weekend.

Landa nd Henao dissapearing is either a) Kwitkowski blowed them up which is bad, no form yet or b) Sky DS was honest when saying they told a few to take it easy and save themselves.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    LRP seems to be working overtime to convince himself that his former team aren't as strong this year

Sky had six riders in the top 30. BMC had Roche and Caruso in the top 20, but their fourth rider was 108th. Trek's second rider was 32nd, Movistar's was 42nd.

Oh, LRP is playing mind-games with himself
  • bobmcstuff wrote:
    You lot need to improve your spoiler threads. 8 pages before there was anything worth reading and it's well past my bedtime.

I knew in my gut I should have gone for Froome but everyone said Porte and they were clearly badly incorrect. More fool me for copying them.

In other news I've bought a really "good" Tag Carrera. Sweepstakes on how long itll last :D

Did you get it off a fella in Hooters?

My Tag Heuer from Bangkok market lasted 3 weeks
  • above_the_cows
    RichN95 wrote:

Oh, LRP is playing mind-games with himself

Is this some sort of Sting thing?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Nah me neither, someone's missing a trick there.

Would you like some nuts to console yourself? The elephant's not included.
    That's very kind of you. But be warned, if they are not my preferred brand I will spit them back in your face.
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2017
    If Froome keeps the Yellow Jersey until stage 11 he will have worn it more than Anquetil. If he keeps it to the end he will have worn it more than Indurain.

If.
  • RichN95.
    EnacheV wrote:
    seems Sky were genuine when they said that Froome will hit peak later in the tour. still improving (Froome) and i'm sure he will be at best in the weekend.

Landa nd Henao dissapearing is either a) Kwitkowski blowed them up which is bad, no form yet or b) Sky DS was honest when saying they told a few to take it easy and save themselves.
    Landa finished a reasonable 15th. I don't think he was a major part of the plan today.
  • EnacheV
    looking at the stages i guess not even in the weekend Froome will be at his best. Stage 8 and 9 are easily controlable with the team.

it's the stage 18 HC MTF and the 20km+ stage 20 time trial where the bread and butter is.
  • daninexile
    daninexile Posts: 45
    EnacheV wrote:

It was bizarre how they were both there and looking pretty comfortable and then they disappeared. Henao seemed quite comfortable behind Nieve then next shot he'd gone. Would the DS have risked it though? I suppose if he thought Froome was were he needed to be in form then maybe.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    DD_XMhHWsAUzIXe.jpg
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    EnacheV wrote:
    looking at the stages i guess not even in the weekend Froome will be at his best. Stage 8 and 9 are easily controlable with the team.

it's the stage 18 HC MTF and the 20km+ stage 20 time trial where the bread and butter is.

It starts up a hill and has 3 HCs in it. Just because it doesn't finish uphill doesn't mean it will be easy
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Cool, Yates in white. Had completely missed that.
  • EnacheV
    EnacheV wrote:

It starts up a hill and has 3 HCs in it. Just because it doesn't finish uphill doesn't mean it will be easy

if you put 1 guy in the break and with Sky having 4 doms better than all the other teams doms combined it's not very hard to control.

especially since there are 50 seconds? between all top 10 and if anyone tries some fancy stuff there will be 5 teams chasing.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    Still can't work out what BMC were playing at, was Porte supposed to attack early on the climb? Terrible tactics with a relatively weak team.

Good win by Aru, I don't think anyone expected him to sustain the effort. Hopefully Dan can maintain his current firm too.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Pross wrote:
    Still can't work out what BMC were playing at, was Porte supposed to attack early on the climb? Terrible tactics with a relatively weak team.

Yvon Ladanois said early on in the day that BMC were "as strong if not stronger than Sky" - I think this was intended as a demonstration and failed. Jonathan Vaughters also said something interesting - some days a DS has to sacrifice the team to show the leader that the DS believes in him. Whilst Vaughters talks a lot of .... he does know his stuff and this rings true. If Richie had ridden away and taken as little as 10 seconds (like he seemed to be able to do in Dauphine Libere) then the team would have been refreshed and optimistic tonight.
  • imatfaal
    16 FUGLSANG Jakob 53 ASTANA PRO TEAM 03h 45' 13'' - - + 01' 07''
    31 CHAVES Johan Esteban 81 ORICA - SCOTT 03h 46' 05'' - - + 01' 59''
    52 PINOT Thibaut 78 FDJ 03h 48' 17'' - - + 04' 11''
    57 BARGUIL WARREN 143 TEAM SUNWEB 03h 48' 46'' - - + 04' 40''
    193 GUARNIERI Jacopo 74 FDJ 04h 06' 56'' - - + 22' 50''

Just a few other names that amongst other things show that Italy followed by France is just too much
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Did either Chavez or barguil ride the giro?

I mean, I could obviously Google that but im a lazy cnut.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • RichN95.
    The_Boy wrote:

Neither did. Chaves though missed four months through injury, so it's no surprise he's struggling
  • imatfaal
    It was Pinot I was referring - lost 3 times more in one stage than he lost in the Giro. Chaves was posted just because he and Fuglsag were the first of the biggish names that I hadn't seen, Barguil another great French hope dashed, and the last man home
  • RichN95.
    imatfaal wrote:
    It was Pinot I was referring - lost 3 times more in one stage than he lost in the Giro. Chaves was posted just because he and Fuglsag were the first of the biggish names that I hadn't seen, Barguil another great French hope dashed, and the last man home
    Pinot said from the start he's only trying for stages. So he'll just trundle in on days like this.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    RichN95 wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:
    Pinot said from the start he's only trying for stages. So he'll just trundle in on days like this.

Barguil too, iirc? Stages here and GC in spain, though I could be imagining that - I've barely slept in a week
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Has anyone managed to find a video of the final climb by any chance?

Have literally missed everything.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    RichN95 wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:

Neither did. Chaves though missed four months through injury, so it's no surprise he's struggling

Plus his close friend being killed 2 days ago. Not sure his mind is on the game anymore,

Anyhow, tomorrow, I'm taking the day off from setting up these race threads.
    Partly in protest to Sagan's expulsion, mostly in protest for the ASO producing such a turd of a stage and definitely because nobody else (Rick excluded) can be arsed.
    I''l be up for Friday's booze cruise though.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • above_the_cows
    Duly noted. I'm on it.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    imatfaal wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Yvon Ladanois said early on in the day that BMC were "as strong if not stronger than Sky" - I think this was intended as a demonstration and failed. Jonathan Vaughters also said something interesting - some days a DS has to sacrifice the team to show the leader that the DS believes in him. Whilst Vaughters talks a lot of .... he does know his stuff and this rings true. If Richie had ridden away and taken as little as 10 seconds (like he seemed to be able to do in Dauphine Libere) then the team would have been refreshed and optimistic tonight.

Looked like Porte did try and attack right at the end, but it had the look of a move that Porte felt like he had to try and make, rather than trying to take advantage of a wounded Froome. In any event Froome didn't seem to struggle to get back on terms and then go past - slightly further and I felt Froome would have dropped him. Suggests Porte was being set up and couldn't do anything with it.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Thought Porte had to make something happen early in this tour. I get the impression Froome will get stronger as it goes on and Porte will go the other way.

Seemed an odd stage from a BMC perspective. If, as Porte said, they only burned two riders then what was the point.