TDF 2017: Stage 5-Vittel - La planche des belles filles 160.5kms *Spoilers*

Comments

• TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Fenton is not at the top of his game

Sure, he took yellow but he's vulnerable

Aru is the dark horse!

You called it, Bean

Sure, let's go with that. I might possibly have mentioned another Astana rider, but it is the thought that counts.

Meh, in the dark those Astana kits all look the same
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    What was the point BMC?

W
    I
    L
    L
    Y

W
    A
    V
    I
    N
    G
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    edited July 2017
    15kms out, I had a visitor. :evil: Anyhow Same 1-2 in reverse.
    I suspect that if Aru continues to ride like that, his numbers are going to set twitter ablaze.

BM who? :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The_Boy wrote:

The 'how many skymen are in front of froome @/3km to go?' rule is worth a check. By my reckoning he was at 4 men in the train.

Make of that what you will.
    As the originator of that 'rule', it's not best served by a 6km climb (and usually 5km to go is the point). But I don't think Sky were anticipating gains today and Froome isn't full flow yet.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Ugh they're interviewing the Kazakh laboratory experiment.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    What happened to Henao? Kwia was immense, but Henao, Landa and Nieve weren't much use when called upon. G could have kept yellow if he hadn't had to start working for Froome.

Reckon GC could be quite open this year, Aru looked really good there, and clearly very little between Froome and Porte (apart from a competent DS...)
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    What was the point BMC?

W
    I
    L
    L
    Y

W
    A
    V
    I
    N
    G

The implication of that is that Porte finally got his winkle out and realised the heat/fatigue meant he didn't have much to wave.
  • Maybe weighted down by the Tag Heuers
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    DD-yCXwW0AA6qK-.jpg
    Elbow salute.
  • blazing_saddles
    Uran finishing ahead of Contador and Quintana. :lol:
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    mfin wrote:
    Coiled spring Aru there, clearly feeling great to attack like that.

Great to not see Contador, it will be nice to get used to.

Quintana obviously missing that valued assistance he would have got from Valverde.
    (Do I have to put an emoji for thick people?)

Question mark over the strength of Movistar, but Quintana has come back from a similar time deficit before.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • blazing_saddles
    402-0418_59.jpg
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    Think Sky made a mistake letting Aru go - Froome just said it. Nieve was on the front when Aru attacked and clearly couldn't respond much - but by the time they realised, Aru had 15 secs.
  • RichN95.
    Simon Yates on ITV: "The podium girls said 'ah hello again'. Er no I'm a different one"
  • RichN95.
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Think Sky made a mistake letting Aru go - Froome just said it. Nieve was on the front when Aru attacked and clearly couldn't respond much - but by the time they realised, Aru had 15 secs.
    Henao mysteriously disappeared. If Porte had worked with Froome & Martin they might have caught him (and distanced Quintana etc by more)
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    RichN95 wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Henao mysteriously disappeared. If Porte had worked with Froome & Martin they might have caught him (and distanced Quintana etc by more)

Yes, but Sky don't panic respond to attacks anyway.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • above_the_cows
    402-0418_59.jpg

That's a lovely horse in a spotty rug.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    When's the first proper climb?
  • RichN95.
    When's the first proper climb?
    There are climbs on the weekend but they have 10km bits of flat on the run in so rider's wil likely finish in small groups
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    402-0418_59.jpg

That's a lovely horse in a spotty rug.

7/10

That's the wrong blanket a pois, Dolphiny innit. You want a white blanket with red spots for the Tour. :wink:
  • above_the_cows
    Wrong way round still, but it's a pretty horse and it has gone full Rolland.

chemise-de-presentation-pol.jpg?fit=500%2C407
  • LRP seems to be working overtime to convince himself that his former team aren't as strong this year

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de ... -quotes-1/
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    I think Froome will be happy with that - took time out of his two main rivals, Porte and Quintana whose teams both showed fragility today on the final climb.

Hats off to Aru for making a race of it but I don't think he will be given as much leeway as will Dan Martin who did also well admittedly on a steep climb which suits him. I think it might be a different matter on the bigger climbs.
  • above_the_cows
    Someone should just give LRP a Toblerone to clam him down.
  • above_the_cows
    hypster wrote:
    I think Froome will be happy with that - took time out of his two main rivals, Porte and Quintana whose teams both showed fragility today on the final climb.

Hats off to Aru for making a race of it but I don't think he will be given as much leeway as will Dan Martin who did also well admittedly on a steep climb which suits him. I think it might be a different matter on the bigger climbs.

Stem Watcher only got time on Toblerone Boy because of the bonifications.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Richie trying to talk his way out of an embarrassing day at the office (that turned out just about ok in the end). Teenytana showing signs of Girolag? Bertie? What happened there, part of his decline as a grand tour rider? HM Govt need to reclaim Birmingham back from those sneaky Irish types, thus bringing Dan back into the bosom of the UK.

Froome looks like he is riding into form, no last week wobbles methinks. Kwia is on blistering form.
  • blazing_saddles
    RichN95 wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

I'm guessing he had a mechanical.
    It was as if Scotty had beamed him up.
    Although it happened just after David Millar said he was waiting to go.
    He just didn't say in which direction.

Oh and If Richie is satisfied with that performance, his wife must be very frustrated.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Oh and If Richie is satisfied with that performance, his wife must be very frustrated.

He came fourth, so maybe not.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991

I like him, so I hope it's all part of a plan to be stronger in the third week than he has been in last couple of years
  • RichN95.
    LRP seems to be working overtime to convince himself that his former team aren't as strong this year

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de ... -quotes-1/
    Sky had six riders in the top 30. BMC had Roche and Caruso in the top 20, but their fourth rider was 108th. Trek's second rider was 32nd, Movistar's was 42nd.