TDF 2017: Stage 5-Vittel - La planche des belles filles 160.5kms *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
edited July 2017 in Pro race
A slow, slow day today, so I thought: why not?

Start time 13-20cet.
Christian Prudhomme's comment

It only took two stage finishes there for La Planche des Belles Filles to add its name to the history of the Tour. The climb is rather short however it's extremely demanding, especially on the final part. The gradients indeed reach 20%. It'll be a first explanation between the favourites.

Map:-
CARTE.jpg

Profile:-
PROFIL.png

Kom:-

Km 107.5 - Côte d'Esmoulières2.3 kilometre-long climb at 8% - category 3

Km 160.5 - LA PLANCHE DES BELLES FILLES (1035 m)5.9 kilometre-long climb at 8.5% - category 1

Final kms:-
PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

La planche des belles filles

The two experiences witnessed by the Tour peloton in the only ski resort of the Haute-Saône area left only great sporting memories. Only future winners have indeed triumphed there. In 2012, the final climb put Christopher Froome under the spotlights and gave Bradley Wiggins the Yellow Jersey. Two years later, Vincenzo Nibali continued the fantastic run he had started in Sheffield to conquer a second stage win and take command of the general classification.

Some local grub:-
onion-bacon-tart-alsace-style.jpg
d35a7a81ae50b73ea2e2062c55712b5b.jpg
10025065_1010425209.jpg
All washed down with this:-
hugel_hugel_tradition_png_12310_640.png

And finally, the local, Beautiful Girls rocket fuel:-
294__091812100_1149_17082012.jpg

Some gratuitous scenery shots:-

624a478f5a010262376d7864091b9c15ba1bab86

show.image.php?x=950&y=850&id=123918
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Yellow jersey to swap hands for tho last time in the race...

Actually, I'm not even sure it will. The way Thomas looks, he could probably do a number on the rest and ride in with Fenton.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    I reckon Geraint will have a chance to hang on unless Froome has decided to lay down a marker with a stage win and time gaps on his rivals as he often does on the first big stage. I reckon the climb is short enough that G won't be required for full domestique duties. Seems very early in the race for a MTF.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Pross wrote:
    I reckon Geraint will have a chance to hang on unless Froome has decided to lay down a marker with a stage win and time gaps on his rivals as he often does on the first big stage. I reckon the climb is short enough that G won't be required for full domestique duties. Seems very early in the race for a MTF.
    I think Sky will go for it - they did in 2012 on the same climb on stage 7. Only Evans and Nibali stayed with Froome & Wiggins, with only one more rider within 40 seconds. And Froome has won the first mountain stage on four of the last five Tours. It's his style.
    It's easier for a team to defend when there fewer riders to defend against - an early sorting out is required. And sprinters' teams, of which there are many, do most of the riding on the flats these days.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    It'll be interesting to see if Geraint can stick with him, shame I'll be stuck in meetings!
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    I can't see Froome holding back for any other reason than he doesn't have it on the day. He will be looking to put as much time as possible into GC rivals and would be stupid to miss an oportunity just to keep GT in yellow.

It will be interesting to see how Richie Porte, Quintana, Dan Martin and maybe Fuglsang go and if GT can finish within 12 seconds of Froome, bonus seconds notwithstanding.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    I can see Thomas winning the stage with Froome losing a little time to porte.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Well this stage better be good tomorrow. I need cheering up.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    I'm not sure I can face another stage just yet. Can we not have an emergency rest day?

Edited to add - Also, no way will Thomas win tomorrow. Would be lovely, but no.
  • Pinot
  • Pinot

Prefer Gewurtztraminer....
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    gsk82 wrote:
    I can see Thomas winning the stage with Froome losing a little time to porte.

Really?

What form does Thomas have on steep cat ones?
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Pinot

He'll save himself for the high Alps surely?
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    I would like to see Contador dance the double figures.
  • Can't see anyone other than Froome winning today, but it would be nice to see if Bertie still has it in him.
  • above_the_cows
    Cows:

TDF16_photo021-600x600.jpg

Horses:

17109131661_6efcd0a29b_b.jpg

Munster Cheese:

Munster.jpg
  • blazing_saddles
    Well stinky that mature Munster.

The great one :lol: speaks:-

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racin ... our-339648
  • above_the_cows
    It looks smelly just from the photo.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Do we have an estimated finish time? I'm a bloody committee meeting from 4-4.30...
  • I bloody well adore Munster. The only cheese I know that can push open the fridge door.

In other news, Sean Yates is reminiscing on the Twatterz about this stage in 2012. He's also making the call for Geraint to make the podium in Paris
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    It's going to be interesting. Looking forward to see who has a bit of climbing form. I bloody hope Thomas does.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    In 2012, they just rode the legs off everyone over the earlier climb and into the final climb didn't they? That was about a 200km stage though.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Are we still thinking Froome will have a go as per, even though he came in a bit undercooked?
  • gonna see LRP trying to lay it down, no question
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    If the Dauphine is any guide, there's a few will be looking to drop Froome.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    gonna see LRP trying to lay it down, no question

More likely to see him taking it* lying down, tbf.

* the 'it' in question bring Chris froome's tin of whoop ass sent special delivery via UK postal service.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • The_Boy wrote:
    gonna see LRP trying to lay it down, no question

More likely to see him taking it* lying down, tbf.

* the 'it' in question bring Chris froome's tin of whoop ass sent special delivery via UK postal service.

*plays Benny Hill theme on a kazoo*
  • Attacks from the gun inc De Gendt, Pip Gilbert and TV Tommy
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    I have a sneaking suspicion Froome is bar better prepared for this tour than his form in the Dolphin made it look like. I know the TT was only 14km, but it was a far better performance than the Dolphin TT. Sky as a whole look in good shape as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Froome of old today.

I'm really hoping Thomas has something to show as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • quality break: Jan Bakelants (AG2R-La Mondiale), Mickaël Delage (FDJ), Edvald Boasson Hagen (Dimension Data), Philippe Gilbert (Quick-Step Floors), Thomas De Gendt (Lotto-Soudal), Thomas Voeckler (Direct Energie), Dylan Van Baarle (Cannondale-Drapac) and Pierre-Luc Périchon (Fortuneo-Oscaro)
  • blazing_saddles
    Lovely weather, just the large cloud hanging over the peloton.
    Not at all fussed on the parcour leading to Beautiful girls.
    Totally meh in fact.