TDF 2017: Stage 4- Mondorf-les-Bains - Vittel 207.5kms *Spoilers*

Comments

• pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    ben@31 wrote:
    pat1cp wrote:
    I think he's gonna do it......

No way.

The peloton have just been taking it easy during the unimportant miles. Within several km to go the sprinters lead out trains will be picking up the pace to a frenzy.
    Sagan will be going through the sound barrier while pedalling with just his left leg and giving the crowd a royal wave.

Sorry, I was bored, and I couldn't find the "tounge in cheek" emoji.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    I think his beard has grown since he's been out there.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,655
    How many km to go?
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    pat1cp wrote:
    ben@31 wrote:
    pat1cp wrote:
    I think he's gonna do it......

No way.

The peloton have just been taking it easy during the unimportant miles. Within several km to go the sprinters lead out trains will be picking up the pace to a frenzy.
    Sagan will be going through the sound barrier while pedalling with just his left leg and giving the crowd a royal wave.

Sorry, I was bored, and I couldn't find the "tounge in cheek" emoji.

No worries, replying kept me occupied for 2 minutes
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • ben@31
    How many km to go?

57.4km

+ 3'34"
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,655
    Perfect
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    Ooooooooh intermediate sprint action. :shock:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    Demare, Sagan, Greipel make quite a big deal of it.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Back from a long conference call - what did I miss....?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    A good time for me to reiterate my belief expressed on the prediction thread that Sagan isn't going to win the green jersey this year - something that every media pundit has said is an inevitability.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    philwint wrote:
    Back from a long conference call - what did I miss....?

Nice chateau
  • kingstongraham
    RichN95 wrote:
    A good time for me to reiterate my belief expressed on the prediction thread that Sagan isn't going to win the green jersey this year - something that every media pundit has said is an inevitability.

There's a few intermediates that he can get to that Kittel won't, but Demare might be in with a chance.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Sagan won a couple of the flat stages.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    popped out for a bite of lunch at noon - just back at half past three and dammit but the poor bugger is still off the front
  • RichN95.
    There's a few intermediates that he can get to that Kittel won't, but Demare might be in with a chance.

I've had a look at the stages and only two, maybe three, intermediates that come after significant climbs. But there's about eight bunch sprints yet to come (and only one other stage more suitable to Sagan)
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Stevo racing hard to make sure is spot at the back of the bunch isn't taken by a sneaky BMC rider.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • kingstongraham
    RichN95 wrote:

I've had a look at the stages and only two, maybe three, intermediates that come after significant climbs. But there's about eight bunch sprints yet to come (and only one other stage more suitable to Sagan)

Don't you think he'll probably be in the first three in most of those?
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    RichN95 wrote:

Is it such a different Tour to other years or do you think the others have upped their game? I think Sagan has it in the bag but Demarre is the type of rider who could challenge.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

I think Kittel, Demare, Bouhanni, Cavendish, Greipel and Groenwegen are usually all faster than him.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    RichN95 wrote:

Sagan still beats most in the intermediates though, regardless of whether there are climbs, and always there or thereabouts in the bunch sprints. Its his consistency, not just the fact that he can get into breaks on tougher terrain. Maybe if Kittel dominates the sprint stages and takes a bunch of wins, but not sure who else could beat Sagan. Maybe Matthews and Demare could at least make it a contest.
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2017
    inseine wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Is it such a different Tour to other years or do you think the others have upped their game? I think Sagan has it in the bag but Demarre is the type of rider who could challenge.

1. More sprinters, several faster than him
    2. More pure sprint stages
    3. Fewer intermediate sprints the other side of mountains

(I'm not sure his team's that good either - which is important when there's 12 teams sprinting for the win)
  • above_the_cows
    Here they come!

giphy.gif
  • ben@31
    The inevitable has happened
  • ben@31
    Lasted 191km ?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,536
    edited July 2017
    RichN95 wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

(I'm not sure his team's that good either - which is important when there's 12 teams sprinting for the win)

More sprinters to share the 1st place spoils only Sagan to win stages like yesterday.
  • above_the_cows
    And straight out the back...
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    edited July 2017
    It would be great to see Cav jump wheels for the win.
  • kingstongraham
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I think Kittel, Demare, Bouhanni, Cavendish, Greipel and Groenwegen are usually all faster than him.

But somehow he sneaks in amongst them. His finishes on sprint stages last year were remarkable - 3rd, 4th, 3rd, 6th, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    RichN95 wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Not think the sprinters are going to take stages from each other? Don't think 1 man will dominate.

Good call though, not a certainty.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Saw a stat on twitter earlier, he's (Sagan) had a top 3 stage placing in 29% of his tdf stages.
  • ben@31
    Whys the Astana rider unhappy ?