TDF 2017: Stage 4- Mondorf-les-Bains - Vittel 207.5kms *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
edited July 2017 in Pro race
Back to the flat. The calm before tomorrow's storm. (hopefully)
Sprinters to be warn: Bouhanni plays at home...

Stage 4 will honor Luxemburger champions of the Tour de France from François Faber to Andy Schleck, the latter having the privilege to attend the start only 200 metres away from his home in Mondorf-les-Bains. It's a flattish race in the east of France with a finish in Vittel. The thermal station is famous for producing the official water of the Tour de France. It also made history for hosting the Grand Départ of the 55th edition in 1968 under the tagline “Le Tour de la santé” (the Tour of the health) one year after the tragic death of Tom Simpson on the Mont Ventoux. This time around, it looks like a stage dedicated to sprinters but the last visit to Vittel saw the solo victory of Nicki Sorensen in 2009. But it was stage 12 and the sprinters were already tired. Now on stage 4 they are still fresh. Marcel Kittel who wears the green jersey is hungry for more, so is French champion Arnaud Démare who was the runner up in Liège and finished sixth atop the climb of the Religieuses in Longwy yesterday. The enfant du pays is a sprinter as well! Nacer Bouhanni hails from Epinal in the Vosges province that Vittel is also part of. He's yet to win his first ever stage at the Tour de France.

Map:-
CARTE.jpg

Profile:-
PROFIL.png

KoM:-
Km 170.5 - Col des Trois Fontaines1.9 kilometre-long climb at 7.4% - category 4

Last Kms:-
PROFILKMS.png
Mondorf-les-Bains

The peloton will witness a day dedicated to water. It will indeed take off from the only thermal resort of Luxemburg. We will be on the territory of the Schleck family. Andy and his brother Fränk indeed grew up there and still live today in Mondorf-les-Bains. The city has never hosted the Tour but the visits in the Grand Duchy were frequent since the first stage finish of the Tour after the Second World War in 1947. Other than the winner of the 2010 Tour, three other riders from Luxemburg have claimed the Grande Boucle: François Faber (1909), Nicolas Frantz (1927 and 1928) and Charly Gaul (1958).

16610-resize-668x445x70.jpg

introductory_mosel_riesling_sweet_and_dry_pairing_front.jpg

Vittel

While the spring water of the Vosges thermal resort quenches the thirst of the riders and followers of the Tour since 2008, its history with the Tour goes way back. Forty years earlier, the peloton was gathered there for the Grand Départ of the 55th edition, the last one to be contested by national teams. Charly Grosskost had proven to be the fastest during the prologue before managing a double by winning the first stage finishing in Esch-sur-Alzette.

What else but?.....
Vittel-Mineral-Water-Vittel-Natural-Mineral-Water.jpg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Mosel - yak
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    The race also passes through the famous town of Schengen that is located at the confluence of Luxembourg, France and Germany and was thus the place for the signing of the famous Schengen Agreement on 14 June 1985 which set about removing internal border checks between those EU member states that signed up to the Schengen Agreement. There is now a museum in Schengen dedicated to the EU and the Schengen Agreement.

europaisches-museum-schengen.jpg

For a fascinating glimpse of what Schengen means see these abandoned border posts in the wonderful work of an acquaintance of mine Iganacio Evangelista http://www.ignacioevangelista.com/index.php?/seleccion-natural/work-in-progres-after-schengen/

Some cows from the Moselle...

f284b1ff88ed9e11069a02cce446574e.jpg

And some lovely horses from Meurthe-et-Moselle...

28557-Nancy.jpg
    Correlation is not causation.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,308
    Stage preview from Inrng
    http://inrng.com/2017/07/tour-de-france ... ew-vittel/

Finish is "flatter than the profile suggests", 1.5-2% on the closing straight, and all on big boulevards.
    At a guess, the sprint trains will try and keep the sprint as short as possible, while maybe Sagan might get something out of going long.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,221
    Looks like two tight turns with 1500m to go, and slightly uphill finish.

One for the scenery until the last 10 minutes.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,732
    Stage preview from Inrng
    http://inrng.com/2017/07/tour-de-france ... ew-vittel/

Finish is "flatter than the profile suggests", 1.5-2% on the closing straight, and all on big boulevards.
    At a guess, the sprint trains will try and keep the sprint as short as possible, while maybe Sagan might get something out of going long.

Interesting. I've got Sagan and Kittel in my velogames team so it'd suit me if Sagan sits in Kittel's wheel for a 1-2 but I'd have thought Sagan was fast enough to have a chance with traditional sprinters tactics. Kittel seems to be the fastest but he's not going to get it right every time and I reckon Sagan has enough to be in mix against Greipel, Cav et al as they stand at this minute.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    You've got to admire the subtle yet devilish humour of ASO. Going through Ars and Toul (and near to Nancy) on a route that passes close to the homes of both Andy Shleck and Bouhanni.

Titz the other day was less subtle.
  • If Bouhanni gets this I will be having a my man dream Tour so far - apart from Thomas and Sagan who I can take or leave

Latour Offredo Calmejane Bouhanni would have been the the pick for the four stages
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    9368c4dabf.jpg?x=b&s=590x330&q=h&e=t&f=t&cb=1
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Hilarious! Wanty-Goubert rider Van Keirslbuck (sp?) goes from km0, peloton pretty much sits up. He grabs a minute easily and is seen looking back over his shoulder "where the f*** is everyone?" He's currently looking at a 200km TT :-D
  • kingstongraham
    This is going to feel like forever.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Guillaume Van Keirsbulck (WantyGG) has a minute or so over the peleton. Long hot day alone just to be caught, chewed-up, and spat out the back with a kilometre to go? What a lovely prospect - but good publicity
  • kingstongraham
    What size lead will they let him get? 10 minutes?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Got 2'30" now.

He was talking into his radio early on.. "Boss, there's nobody with me...." :-D
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Lordy be! That house was yellow. I'd want a discount on my council tax living close to that.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Ah, the classic problem with having loads of long flat stages, early on.
    Guillaume Van Keirsbulck on a lonely breakaway, means slow, slow stage.
    With all these sprinters and their teams, tv exposure is the only incentive.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • kingstongraham
    MOTO 3 showing the back of the peloton - they're occasionally pedalling.
  • I have a soft spot for Wanty-Goubert. Partly because I ride a Cube bike, but mainly coz they always seem to go for breakaways and liven things up a bit.

But yeah, this is going to be a looooong day for him :D
  • yeah but just think if he pulled it off :D
    :D

Would be utterly epic :D
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    The Fédération Française de Cyclisme (FFC) clearly in cahoots with ASO in engineering a French overall victory... routing today's stage through Schengen in vain hope of upsetting Brexit Brits (who will get so upset they lobby the PM to withdraw all British/vaguely British riders from the Tour). FFC hope that this action will negate GC threat of Froome, Thomas, Porte, Dan Martin in one fell swoop. Next week FFC will eliminate all Spanish speakers by similar nefarious means.
  • kingstongraham
    He is now virtual yellow jersey on the road by over a minute.
  • imatfaal
    Isn't that Zubeldia chatting to Bertie?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    yeah but just think if he pulled it off :D

They'll give him at least 10 minutes, possibly 15 and he'll start to dream. But by the end of the day he'll be making a concerted attack on the Lanterne Rouge.
  • Campervan27
    Campervan27 Posts: 137
    Stage 4 - Kittel please?
    Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.
  • imatfaal
    yeah but just think if he pulled it off :D

They'll give him at least 10 minutes, possibly 15 and he'll start to dream. But by the end of the day he'll be making a concerted attack on the Lanterne Rouge.

The peleton should all pull over to side of the road, have a spot of lunch, a natural, stretch their legs - when he has 15mins, set off again; then it would make an interesting chase.
  • imatfaal
    Stage 4 - Kittel please?

wrong thread perhaps. :-) Although i think you are right

He'll be finishing like I did once in a race - when they are packing away the finish line
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    I have a soft spot for Wanty-Goubert. Partly because I ride a Cube bike, but mainly coz they always seem to go for breakaways and liven things up a bit.

Is it really breakaway though, or have the peloton allowed him to have a few minutes out in front before swallowing him up again.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • ben@31 wrote:
    I have a soft spot for Wanty-Goubert. Partly because I ride a Cube bike, but mainly coz they always seem to go for breakaways and liven things up a bit.

Is it really breakaway though, or have the peloton allowed him to have a few minutes out in front before swallowing him up again.
    Whatever you call it, Cube riders = OK in my book :D
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    ben@31 wrote:

Well given he's now out to 9'30" I think we'll have to call it a break. Even if they wanted to swallow him up again they'd have to ride to do it, and it looks like they want to soft peddle today.