Maybe we are not doomed after all

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,643
    Be excited that someone has put in for some tidal stream.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    Solar is obviously great in he summer here, but bloody awful in the winter, so it's good to see some other methods of generation being looked into.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,373

Latest results from CFD auction. Offshore wind still the cheapest technology. 2012 prices, so need a good 20% uplift.

That's interesting Big Bean. At the start of the year we seemed to have no wind.

I had wind. It was that f*cking vegetable curry.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • HilaryAmin
    HilaryAmin Posts: 160
    Has any one noticed what marvellous summer weather we are having?

Apparently it is just like it was back in 1976!
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    In1976 the marvellous summer weather lasted for 2 months and not a few days.
    I remember it well. I spent a lot of it sailing around North Wales. Great memories!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,702
    We are a clear 5 degrees hotter than the UK peak of 1976.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    edited July 2022
    Few observations from Holland.

#1 - Dutch are not making a fuss about it. And this is not just because I’m on holiday. Had the news on. Wasn’t even second on the billing. Only mentioned the incoming heat as a final “goodbye” message last night. Maybe because it’s 35-47 not 40

#2 - Holland only had one mega hot day not two and oof, day two must have been tough for you guys. It’s once the heat gets in the house on a hot day you can’t get rid of it.

#3 - am a bit confused why only one line in Holland is delayed because of the heat. Presumably their tracks expand as much as British tracks do.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

#1 - Dutch are not making a fuss about it. And this is not just because I’m on holiday. Had the news on. Wasn’t even second on the billing. Only mentioned the incoming heat as a final “goodbye” message last night. Maybe because it’s 35-47 not 40

#2 - Holland only had one mega hot day not two and oof, day two must have been tough for you guys. It’s once the heat gets in the house on a hot day you can’t get rid of it.

#3 - am a bit confused why only one line in Holland is delayed because of the heat. Presumably their tracks expand as much as British tracks do.

Having trains that run in the heat isn’t much use when according to yourself it’s virtually impossible to buy a ticket.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,936
    I think the premise that we are not doomed is mistaken. In fact, the evidence of the past week suggests we are entirely f**ked. In the meantime, before the end of the world, I shall ride my bike to cheer myself up.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    webboo said:

Having trains that run in the heat isn’t much use when according to yourself it’s virtually impossible to buy a ticket.
    By contrast

They’ll take your money. Just not run a service
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,806
    edited July 2022
    Just me that finds the notion of things improving/cooling after mid day funny?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • HilaryAmin
    lesfirth said:

In1976 the marvellous summer weather lasted for 2 months and not a few days.
    I remember it well. I spent a lot of it sailing around North Wales. Great memories!

That's nice. Have you got any room on your boat?
  • focuszing723

This is disgusting, it shows how the people in the West of the UK are taking the mick, using hose pipes to water their land and the East are clearly being more considerate.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,936
    But those in the east have clearly left their heating on as it's about 4 degrees warmer there than in the west / south west. Very inconsiderate of them to burn off energy resources unnecessarily. :p
  • HilaryAmin
    Drought to be declared, leaked documents say..
  • focuszing723

But those in the east have clearly left their heating on as it's about 4 degrees warmer there than in the west / south west. Very inconsiderate of them to burn off energy resources unnecessarily. :p

Ah, yeah sorry, fair point.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602

I'm amazed it hasn't happened already, it's the driest I can recall seeing the country (my memories of '76 are limited to my dad breaking my cricket stumps trying to get them into the ground). The reservoirs in the Elan Valley were incredibly low when I was up there 4 weeks ago and the large reservoir near me is the lowest I've seen it.

Hosepipe bans have taken far longer to bring in than they have in the past which is hopefully as sign that the water companies are improving on detecting / fixing leaks although it is obviously still a major issue.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,936
    Driest July in England since before WWII they said on the wireless.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,763

Very dry :D

• focuszing723
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpiH-Y-HOvE

It makes more sense than an SUV to me.
  • pinno
    Hyundai are now committed to Hydrogen cell propelled cars.
    Cleaner and less resource demanding than EV?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,806
    pinno said:

Seen the Alpine Alpenglow?

https://www.alpine-cars.co.uk/concept-cars/alpenglow.html
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

pinno said:

Seen the Alpine Alpenglow?

https://www.alpine-cars.co.uk/concept-cars/alpenglow.html
    You mean it's a car not Muesli?!
  • focuszing723
    pinno said:

Yep, they are an impressive company they were quick to the market with Kona EV, which gets good reviews.
  • focuszing723
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzdN0OwOny4

A massive conglomerate from Vietnam giving EV production a crack too. I must admit I've never heard of Vingroup before.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,573
    pinno said:

Not sure about the eco credentials hydrogen cells. A hydrogen fuelled ICE would be even better then it won't feel like you're driving a sophisticated milk float.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    The risk with hydrogen is blue hydrogen.

Blue hydrogen is more fossil fuel intensive than simply using fossil fuels directly.

It only exists as a hedge for fossil fuel companies if hydrogen does take off. It should not be supported in any way shape or form but they do have lobbying groups (unsurprisingly).
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,573
    edited October 2022
    morstar said:

Blue hydrogen is more fossil fuel intensive than simply using fossil fuels directly.

It only exists as a hedge for fossil fuel companies if hydrogen does take off. It should not be supported in any way shape or form but they do have lobbying groups (unsurprisingly).

I was assuming it would use by green hydrogen (or some colour other than blue or grey) if it is to be eco friendly.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,643
    morstar said:

This is nonsense.