Maybe we are not doomed after all

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,376
    Lower carbon too.

Anyway, this is not getting me out on the bike.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno said:

Lower carbon too.

Anyway, this is not getting me out on the bike.

Yep, get out on your bike. Make the most of this weather.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,812
    Hands up who saw this coming? 🖐️

"Rishi Sunak is considering weakening some of the government's key green commitments in a major policy shift.
    It could include delaying a ban on the sales of new petrol and diesel cars and phasing out gas boilers, multiple sources have told the BBC."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66857551

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

"Rishi Sunak is considering weakening some of the government's key green commitments in a major policy shift.
    It could include delaying a ban on the sales of new petrol and diesel cars and phasing out gas boilers, multiple sources have told the BBC."

All the lobbyists who fund the Tories and Tufton Street, for starters.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,581
    pblakeney said:

I had hoped for this bit of common sense. Vote winner as well.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,702
    Lol. As if he's going to be PM for long enough to make that happen.

I see the NIMBYs have managed to delay Sizewell C.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney said:

If it wasn't for Musk you wouldn't have anything to virtual signal about.
  • rjsterry
    edited September 2023

pblakeney said:

What's virtual signalling?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Sadiq Khan is flying to New York for four days to attend a series of events including an international climate conference.

The mayor of London is expected to speak at the United Nations climate ambition summit on Wednesday.

He will also use the visit to meet representatives from US businesses and investors looking at London.

His trip takes place three weeks after the controversial expansion of the Ultra Low Emission Zone (Ulez).
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66820972
    Can't they zoom call or similar to do this? It's a conference on "CLIMATE CHANGE" for fook sake.

Am I wrong on this? This sort of $h1t has to stop, it has to be for everyone. What's a persons personal pollution/environmental damage footprint?
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

So you don't approve of us aligning with the EU on this one?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    edited September 2023
    United Nations climate ambition summit
    Cancel it would be a start.
  • Stevo_666

Sadiq Khan is flying to New York for four days to attend a series of events including an international climate conference.

The mayor of London is expected to speak at the United Nations climate ambition summit on Wednesday.

He will also use the visit to meet representatives from US businesses and investors looking at London.

His trip takes place three weeks after the controversial expansion of the Ultra Low Emission Zone (Ulez).
    Can't they zoom call or similar to do this? It's a conference on "CLIMATE CHANGE" for fook sake.

Am I wrong on this? This sort of $h1t has to stop, it has to be for everyone. What's a persons personal pollution/environmental damage footprint?
    But they all drive EVs so it's OK...
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,939
    edited September 2023
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

What's virtual signalling?

• focuszing723
    edited September 2023
    Virtual reality signalling, it's a thing!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,376
    Why does he keep covering up his bits?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno said:

Why does he keep covering up his bits?

Maybe it was for the boy scouts' version of The Full Monty.
  • rjsterry
    edited September 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

So you don't approve of us aligning with the EU on this one?
    Nope. They're a bunch of unambitious slackers.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry

Sadiq Khan is flying to New York for four days to attend a series of events including an international climate conference.

We literally answered this question yesterday. The carbon emissions from short haul return flight is ≈ 5% of the annual emissions for a typical house. Also Zoom is definitely inferior to a face to face meeting.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry said:

We literally answered this question yesterday. The carbon emissions from short haul return flight is ≈ 5% of the annual emissions for a typical house. Also Zoom is definitely inferior to a face to face meeting.
    New York? Did you read it? Also, how many people live in a house? and your estimates are off for a a single person on a flight, christ!

Lol, want a make a difference, cancel it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,743
    The sooner people stop demanding hairshirt behaviour for anyone who’s trying to do anything for climate change, the better.

We’re not gonna solve climate change by telling everyone they can’t do anything.
  • focuszing723
    edited September 2023

The sooner people stop demanding hairshirt behaviour for anyone who’s trying to do anything for climate change, the better.

We’re not gonna solve climate change by telling everyone they can’t do anything.

That's not what annoys me. It's people banging on about it, telling people who don't have a very big pollution/environmental impact personal footprint, when they're are blatantly taking the p1$$ themselves. A lot of this change is happening naturally anyway and doesn't need to be forced by hypocritical eco swaggers who just want to be attributed to it.

Sorry, you can't pontificate about the environment and then waltz on a commercial flight. Lead by example, if you genuinely care.
  • It's classic Tories during COVID telling everyone to isolate when they were having flippin wine and cheese parties.

Why should the average person on the street listen if the leaders/policy makers aren't leading by example?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,697

That's not what annoys me. It's people banging on about it, telling people who don't have a very big pollution/environmental impact personal footprint, when they're are blatantly taking the p1$$ themselves. A lot of this change is happening naturally anyway and doesn't need to be forced by hypocritical eco swaggers who just want to be attributed to it.

Sorry, you can't pontificate about the environment and then waltz on a commercial flight. Lead by example, if you genuinely care.
    Correctamundo. Be like HiRiskAnus, use private jets and military helicopters.
  • orraloon said:

Correctamundo. Be like HiRiskAnus, use private jets and military helicopters.
    Anybody who pontificates whilst having a personal carbon footprint the size of a fookin campervan. Especially one being towed!
  • The sooner people stop demanding hairshirt behaviour for anyone who’s trying to do anything for climate change, the better.

Are you denying that everybody will need to pay a price?

The likes of Prince Harry jumping on and off private jets whilst telling commoners to go on less holidays is not a good look.
  • The sooner people stop demanding hairshirt behaviour for anyone who’s trying to do anything for climate change, the better.

The likes of Prince Harry jumping on and off private jets whilst telling commoners to go on less holidays is not a good look.
    Yep, and the world wide privacy tour!
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

New York? Did you read it? Also, how many people live in a house? and your estimates are off for a a single person on a flight, christ!

Lol, want a make a difference, cancel it.
    Return flight to NY is ≈ 1.7t CO2. UK total emissions per person per year is ≈ 5t. The Glasgow COP conference had 120 world leaders and about 40,000 attendees in total. Obviously a lot will have been more local, but let's say they all flew from NY: 68,000t emitted. Meanwhile back at home the UK is emitting ≈ 920,000t a day. So the flights for the entire conference are <10% of one day's UK background emissions.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• I think they are coming to the realisation that the charging network will not be ready by 2030, the electricity needed will not be available by 2030 and people will not fork out 50 grand for a new electric boiler + a new EV… hence they have no choice but to kick the can down the road. A good decision. On a global scale it would have made very little difference anyway.
    left the forum March 2023
  • rjsterry

Why on earth is Prince Harry your benchmark. WTF does he have to do with global climate policy?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

That’s pretty much the ONLY way to “solve” climate change.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS