Paris Nice 2017 spoilers

Comments

• imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    What a great race this has been - and a great finale coming up tomorrow. Henao has 30 sec on Martin and 31 on Contador - with 3 cat2 and 2 cat1 climbs tomorrow - but a downhill finish. Last year G put on an extralarge chain wheel because the team feared it would all come down to a downhill chase to the line trying to catch / limit Contador's gains - G was able to do it (with help); will Henao be able to?

Personally, I would love to see Dan win it
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    Good last few kms but the rest was pretty meh, imo.
    Very attritional though.

A bit of a scrap for 2nd coming up, but 30 seconds should be enough to secure the top step.
    Then again, this is Henao I'm talking about.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Great day for me.

Quintana wins in Tirreno and this race is set up perfectly for tomorrow.
  • This is a happy thread

Likey
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    My man pantano was quite something!!

Sort of love it when they basically have to park it when they're done with their turn.
  • Latour is riding well and I always thought Edet is a good climber but just can't crank it over to the next level
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I've just caught up - successfully avoid social media.

Two points.
    Richie Porte will be the be the biggest threat to Froome. He's not awed by him
    Contador will try something bonkers tomorrow. The man don't give a sh1t.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    RichN95 wrote:

Maybe, but Sky know Porte's obvious weaknesses well. He can't handle crosswinds, and has a tendency to go to deep when he's going well and pays the consequences the next day.
    RichN95 wrote:

He has to though, he's clearly not got the edge on Henao in a straight out drag race.
  • Allez Mark
    Allez Mark Posts: 364
    RichN95 wrote:

Two points.

Porte can't last 3 weeks. Quintana still main threat.
  • Allez Mark wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Two points.

Porte can't last 3 weeks. Quintana still main threat.

Last year's Tour proved that Porte can last 3 weeks
  • andyp
    Is this the same Richie Porte who finished 7th in his first GT as a neo-pro?

But yeah, he can't last 3 weeks.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    andyp wrote:
    Is this the same Richie Porte who finished 7th in his first GT as a neo-pro?

But yeah, he can't last 3 weeks.

Maybe he could, but seems to suffer from bad luck more than would be statistically probable. I think he's been cursed by Froomeys old witchdoctor!!
  • rick_chasey
    Didn't quite realise how short today's stage was.

Almost like an open invitation to Contador to get on with it and attack from far out.
  • rick_chasey

Last year's Tour proved that Porte can last 3 weeks

His problem is he'll always ship a minute per TdF TT to Froome, and at best he can claw back seconds uphill, no?

And that's before you start counting windy stages.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Didn't quite realise how short today's stage was.

Almost like an open invitation to Contador to get on with it and attack from far out.

I hope so :D
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Just watched yesterday's stage, managed to avoid spoilers... cracking finale. I was willing Dan Martin to get back on!

Contador is going to be dangerous today.
  • andyp
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Contador is going to be dangerous today.

That depends if we get the Contador from yesterday or the Contador from Friday. His long range attack on Friday's stage was nullified pretty quickly and he could only follow after that.

It's been such a tough week of racing, with only really Thursday's stage offering the GC riders a relatively easy day, that it wouldn't surprise me at all if a number of those high up on the GC lose significant time today.

Added: This is why Paris-Nice is almost always the best stage race of the year, a mix of wintery, hard flat stages, where the classics riders rip it to bits, followed by some decent mountain stages over terrain that's ideal for attacking.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    I thought some of the fizz had gone out of the Paris Nice a few years ago but the last couple of additions have been great. The weather has made it this year, and you obviously can't bank on that.
  • bobmcstuff
    Apparently there's a big break of 22.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Contador attacks with Pantano, Henao shuts it down.
  • slim_boy_fat
    Pantano burying himself again, peleton thinning.
  • slim_boy_fat
    Contador attacks on his own now, Henao struggling. 50km to go.
  • slim_boy_fat
    Contador absolutely ripping it. Has 20 seconds on Henao now. Henao has no teammates with him.
  • bobmcstuff
    Reckon Henao will get back on on the descent?
  • slim_boy_fat
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Reckon Henao will get back on on the descent?
    Hard to say, Contador has mopped up a few and is in a decent sized group, maybe 10 riders, Henao on his lonesome with another 4. Yates is one minute behind.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    Bertie goes on the kamikaze, but the 30kms downhill flat could be a problem.
    Henao in isolation though.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • slim_boy_fat
    On the descent now, Contador at the front of his group, riding hard. Henao looks as though he's found a team mate, not sure who yet.
  • slim_boy_fat
    Henao 35 seconds back, Contador asking for help from the rest of the group.
  • slim_boy_fat
    Contador is drilling it on the front although getting some help now, gap stable at about 33 seconds to Henao. Martins group of 30 riders about to catch Henao's group which will make a decent peleton to chase Contador if they work. Couple more team mates for Henao as well.
  • slim_boy_fat
    edited March 2017
    Three UAE riders drilling it on the front, gap getting closer to 40 seconds now. 39km to go.