Paris Nice 2017 spoilers

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    However you cut it, Contador is beaten by a Froome domestique.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    De La Cruz stole Paris-Nice feom Bertie by going for stage win

Or De La Cruz put Bertie in a position where he could win P-N overall by helping him on the descent even though he risked Martin's podium.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Brutal.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    Just seen Contador's attack from 50km out. Not sure Henao should have followed that, but given that Contador hasn't made an attack stick for more than five minutes recently I can see why he did.

I saw it too and thought the same thing.
    Will Sky ever figure out that it might bean idea to get someone up the road?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

Brandweer for Señor Contador.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Contador loses to SKY by 4 seconds last year, 2 seconds this year. Very similar top ten as well.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Just seen Contador's attack from 50km out. Not sure Henao should have followed that, but given that Contador hasn't made an attack stick for more than five minutes recently I can see why he did.

Hmmm.....

I reckon it was more important to keep the team around Henao to control the race from the front. I think he still had two riders left when he went with Contador, so he put himself in that position really. He paid for it with the amount of work he had to do alone to pull Contador back later.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    inseine wrote:
    Contador loses to SKY by 4 seconds last year, 2 seconds this year. Very similar top ten as well.
    Next year he'll lose to Wout Poels by milliseconds.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Tuned in late due to kitchen decorating. Could be the radiator spray paint fumes, but I took a double take: Bahrain Merida look mighty like Team Wiggins.
  • Awesome! And chapeau to my man Bertie for reminding us how good he can be
    by coming second again :lol:
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Sonny colbrelli finishing fourth on the stage? He must now be second favourite for next weekend behind Si Clark.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398

Or De La Cruz put Bertie in a position where he could win P-N overall by helping him on the descent even though he risked Martin's podium.
    And what was he supposed to do, pull over and let Contador win?

A Paris-Nice stage win is worth something, expecting him to give it up so that someone from a different team can win the stage and overall is a bit perverse.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Thats why i love contador. He rocks.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    bobmcstuff wrote:

And what was he supposed to do, pull over and let Contador win?

A Paris-Nice stage win is worth something, expecting him to give it up so that someone from a different team can win the stage and overall is a bit perverse.

Heh.

The other option was to let Contador dangle out front and pull the gap back gradually, using his teammates. It was the sudden burst of acceleration to follow that dropped them.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431

How could he have put Martin's podium at risk? Only Contador was up the road and capable of leap-frogging Martin.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • blazing_saddles
    emadden wrote:

How could he have put Martin's podium at risk? Only Contador was up the road and capable of leap-frogging Martin.

Well, de Cruz did sit back and allow Bertie to take 2 bonus seconds, earlier in the stage.
    Had it had all come back together, it would have caused Contador to leap frog Dan Martin into second by a solitary second. :wink:

Please, lets not go down the same silly debate route that has broken out again, amongst the children of CN.
    It's called racing folks.
  • EnacheV
    EnacheV Posts: 235

De la Cruz is not aware about the well known convention that everyone should race for Contador

getting serious, Contador is a legend
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited March 2017
    Please, lets not go down the same silly debate route that has broken out again, amongst the children of CN.
    It's called racing folks.
    CN comments show that Contador deserves better fans
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • However you cut it, Contador is beaten by a Froome domestique.

I think the expression is "bigger fish to fry"
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • Proper racing that - really pleased I annoyed my wife by declining to pop to the supermarket.

:D

What. A. Race.

Bert was fab. But pleased for Henao, he's had a mare of a time of it over the last few years
  • Just seen Contador's attack from 50km out. Not sure Henao should have followed that, but given that Contador hasn't made an attack stick for more than five minutes recently I can see why he did.

They remember OCCASIONALLY. But not often.
  • Tuned in late due to kitchen decorating. Could be the radiator spray paint fumes, but I took a double take: Bahrain Merida look mighty like Team Wiggins.

Don't start me off. Dish will have a go at me :P
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Isn't this like saying "x should've done y and he would've won" - Getting someone up the road isn't just a matter of saying you'll do it.

That's why it's fun to see the early chaos in stages and seeing how long it takes a break to form that everyone is happy with.

Sublime bike racing today though.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Oof.

Stages like this (short) work because they're knackered from the mtf the day before.

Yep. Looks like the organisers of Paris-Nice have hit upon the perfect formula for a 1 week stage race.
  • gsk82 wrote:
    Sonny colbrelli finishing fourth on the stage? He must now be second favourite for next weekend behind Si Clark.

:D
  • iainf72 wrote:

Isn't this like saying "x should've done y and he would've won" - Getting someone up the road isn't just a matter of saying you'll do it.

That's why it's fun to see the early chaos in stages and seeing how long it takes a break to form that everyone is happy with.

Sublime bike racing today though.

Well I s'pose.... :wink:
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856

Don't know whether that's tongue in cheek or not, but he beat him pretty conclusively when the terrain went uphill.

That said, it's pretty obvious that in terms of his career path Contador is on the slow arc downwards.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    I'm genuinely puzzled by people who don't find Contador entertaining. Good ride by Henao though - he had to dig very deep.
  • EnacheV
    EnacheV Posts: 235
    just watched the stage and hats off to Henao, the deserved winner of this stage race.

who says Contador lost because of others is just wrong, Contador got much more help from others compared to Henao.
  • blazing_saddles
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I'm genuinely puzzled by people who don't find Contador entertaining. Good ride by Henao though - he had to dig very deep.

I haven't read a comment to that effect anywhere, today. Pretty universal praise for today's effort, from what I've seen.
    Hard not to appreciate someone being prepared to risk all with an audacious attack.
    However, it's a pity that few, if any of his fans can be gracious in defeat.
    Very little respect for Henao's ride. Just a lot of abuse aimed at Bahrain for having the gall to practice for M-SR.
    Last year, it was all Tony Gallopin's fault.