2017 Flat Classics thread - will probs have spoilers

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Ah, nothing says winter is nearing the end than me sitting on my sofa shouting at my laptop on a Saturday afternoon.
  • rick_chasey
    Here's hoping Benoot steps up too.
  • Rick: They reckon over on VR that this year the race will be on Eurosport.
    So, it could mean Kirby!
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    Rick: They reckon over on VR that this year the race will be on Eurosport.
    So, it could mean Kirby!

So telly muted, sporza on laptop then :|
  • rick_chasey

It was blooming cold last year, with a biting wind. I should know as I was roadside on the exit out of Kwaremont, and me tiny hands were frozen

NASOMp2.gif
  • Chilly this Winter, so it's gonna get cancelled with the weather protocol innit.

If Valencia can get their last stage shortened for a 50kph wind, we might see very little racing this spring. :roll:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Chilly this Winter, so it's gonna get cancelled with the weather protocol innit.

If Valencia can get their last stage shortened for a 50kph wind, we might see very little racing this spring. :roll:
    I think the the weather protocols take into consideration the type and status of a race. What shortens or even cancels a stage of a minor stage race won't necessarily effect a major one day race.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    RichN95 wrote:
    Chilly this Winter, so it's gonna get cancelled with the weather protocol innit.

I think the the weather protocols take into consideration the type and status of a race. What shortens or even cancels a stage of a minor stage race won't necessarily effect a major one day race.

Yep, major difference between a warm-up race and a get cold, filthy & wet race.
  • rick_chasey
    Same MSR route as last year.

MSR_16_alt-1-1024x663.jpg
  • Same MSR route as last year.

MSR_16_alt-1-1024x663.jpg

Possibly my favourite race of the season. It kicks off the proper racing (monuments) but it's also a very good race for throwing up "unexpected" winners.
  • rick_chasey
    Just read Gallopin is riding the cobbled races this year and is specifically targeting them. :D
  • Second time I have been able to mention Marion Rousse this week..

PHOTONEWS_10506998-113.jpg
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Looks kinda like Melania Trump
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Timoid. wrote:
    Looks kinda like Melania Trump

You had to go and spoil it, didn't you.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    ddraver wrote:
    Fribos tweeting that Tony Martin is 66-1 for Roubaix. I'm not a betting man but were I...that would be a spicy meatball

I backed him at similar odds last year on the day. I hadn't factored in that Boonen would use him quite so much.
  • rick_chasey
    TheBigBean wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Fribos tweeting that Tony Martin is 66-1 for Roubaix. I'm not a betting man but were I...that would be a spicy meatball

I backed him at similar odds last year on the day. I hadn't factored in that Boonen would use him quite so much.

...as opposed to Kristoff?
  • RichN95.
    TheBigBean wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

...as opposed to Kristoff?
    Kristoff's Roubaix record is rather mundane though (unlike his RVV record)
  • rick_chasey
    True, but can you see them backing Martin?

I mean, if PR is a race where you need to place in the top 10 a few times before you start winning....
  • RichN95.
    True, but can you see them backing Martin?

I mean, if PR is a race where you need to place in the top 10 a few times before you start winning....
    He'a a pretty good wild card to keep in play though. I'd want him in the final selection. He can win in the manner of Terpstra.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    Stannard for P-R this year... Surely both him and Rowe are going to feel the need to go big this year in the classics more than ever - before they slip into GT servitude for the rest of the season? Just checked his odds - 14/1, which aint great...
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    Why can't Tony Martin won in the style of Cancellara?
  • TheBigBean wrote:

'Cause he hasn't got a motor?

(there goes another thread...)
  • RichN95.
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Lack of experience for now. I'm not sure he'd hold off an organised chase over the cobbles. He'll need a later attack after Carrefour de l'abre
  • rick_chasey
    TheBigBean wrote:

Name the last winner who hasn't had a top 10 beforehand
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    TheBigBean wrote:

Name the last winner who hasn't had a top 10 beforehand

I give up. Who was it? Knaven?
  • My guess would be O'Grady.
  • RichN95.
    Yeah, it's O'Grady. Previous best 16th
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    This will be the season Sagan dominates the classics.
    It's time.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Lack of experience for now. I'm not sure he'd hold off an organised chase over the cobbles. He'll need a later attack after Carrefour de l'abre

Appreciating it's not 100% comparable, but isn't that exactly what he did in the 2015 Cobbled Tour stage? Agree if he gets gap a la Terpstra with 7km to go, its going to take a hell of an effort to bring him back.

There is a question of how much he's really committed to it - Brian Holm was pushing him towards the cobbles for years at HTC / QS, and he was supposedly quite reluctant (possibly because he saw them as risky injury-wise), although maybe that stage win changed his view on them.
  • This will be the season Sagan dominates the classics.
    It's time.

He's going to be the main 'marked man' now Fabian C has retired though isn't he? Plus his team isn't going to be as strong as some of the others.