2017 Flat Classics thread - will probs have spoilers

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
edited April 2017 in Pro race
17 days to go to Omloop, so about time we started revving up for it.

Still, to this day, no-one has won Omloop and won Flanders in the same year, so it's a real poisoned chalice. The one cobbled race Boonen has never won (thanks to that pesky face-like-a-farmer Vanmarcke).

Dimension Data, Movistar and UAE Abu Dhabi have all opted to skip it.

And for those of you who like to time when you start watching.

Cylp_VlWQAAPovu.jpg

Also, the finish line was moved last year (for those with a keen eye), and apparently it was so successful, the organisers have opted to keep it there for this year.

The biggest change is the Molenberg (the prettiest of the climbs, and a relatively long false flat at the top before the descent to allow for extra damage) is back in at 35km to go, having been out last year due to roadworks (and replaced by the inferior Boembekeberg).

From the site
In total the riders will have to tame the cobbles of the Haaghoek three times. In between Donderij, Ruiterstraat, Karel Martelstraat and Holleweg are the cobblestone sections the peloton will pass by. After the climb of the Molenberg, in the last straight line to the finish, Paddestraat, Lippenhovestraat and Lange Munte await the riders.

Between the first two passages of the Haaghoek (after 52km and 107km), these are the climbs of the 2017 route: Leberg, Berendries, Tenbosse, Eikenmolen, Muur van Geraardsbergen/Kapelmuur and Valkenberg. Afther that Kaperij, Kruisberg, Taaienberg, Eikenberg, Wolvenberg, Leberg once again and Molenberg will decide who will become the succesor of BMC rider Greg van Avermaet as the winner of the 72nd Omloop Het Nieuwsblad.

Given Greg's injury over the winter I would not count him in as a favourite, and given the miles on the front Stannard has been doing in the (very) early season, my money would be on him making it 3 in 4.

Comments

• The season proper cannot come soon enough!
    BikeRadar Communities Manager
  • Quite a drag up to the finish. Deceptively so. The riders will be better prepared for it this time.
  • Boonen to lead them up the Taaienberg.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    Wonder what state my man Kristoff is going to be in...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    It was a cracking race last year, even ma raver was interested.

Given I have to work on weekends now I doubt I ll get to see it so I want full commentary on the thread please.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Think Sky might be favouring Rowe over Ian S for this one - Rowe was 4th last yr (and 5th In Flanders) so should be looking to step up.
    Stan their man for PR again, esp. with no Geraint.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    dish_dash wrote:

He's never done very well in Omloop. 11th once and the rest of his attempts have been very poor.
  • dish_dash
    Joelsim wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

He's never done very well in Omloop. 11th once and the rest of his attempts have been very poor.

:? I guess on past performance he's focused more on KBK at this stage...
  • joelsim
    It appears that way. Weird really, must simply be bad luck given how close the races are to each other. You'd imagine someone who could win Flanders could do a good Omloop.
  • joshjevans wrote:
    The season proper cannot come soon enough!
    That is true.
  • Joelsim wrote:
    It appears that way. Weird really, must simply be bad luck given how close the races are to each other. You'd imagine someone who could win Flanders could do a good Omloop.

They're 5 weeks apart. If you're peaking to win RVV you'll still be a bit off top form 5 weeks out.
  • dish_dash
    Joelsim wrote:

They're 5 weeks apart. If you're peaking to win RVV you'll still be a bit off top form 5 weeks out.

Yeah, but still with the form/kick to win/podium at KBK?
  • joelsim
    Joelsim wrote:

I meant KBK rather than Flanders in the first sentence. He is good at KBK typically.
  • rick_chasey
    Are DiData riding KBK?
  • dish_dash
    Are DiData riding KBK?

Unclear. You'd expect so given both Cav and Thwaite's past performance there... but I thought I read somewhere that they were not doing the early races... can't confirm.
  • joelsim
    dish_dash wrote:
    Are DiData riding KBK?

Unclear. You'd expect so given both Cav and Thwaite's past performance there... but I thought I read somewhere that they were not doing the early races... can't confirm.

They're not I don't think.
  • rick_chasey
    TBH, I rarely sit down and watch KBK.
  • Chilly this Winter, so it's gonna get cancelled with the weather protocol innit.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Always look forward to seeing Greipel go on the attack in one of these early cobbled races.
  • Chilly this Winter, so it's gonna get cancelled with the weather protocol innit.

It was blooming cold last year, with a biting wind. I should know as I was roadside on the exit out of Kwaremont, and me tiny hands were frozen
  • joelsim
    TBH, I rarely sit down and watch KBK.

Probably good it's only highlights then, otherwise your legs would ache.
  • rick_chasey
    Not with these legs of steel.

Does feel a bit odd not having Cancellara around ( I know he never rode Niewsblad, but still).
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Due to bizarre circumstances (a hockey game scheduled for Friday night), I'll be able to watch Het Nieuwsblad at home for the first time in ages (probably since it was Het Volk). Time for a quick beer run in the morning too. Happy days.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    Fribos tweeting that Tony Martin is 66-1 for Roubaix. I'm not a betting man but were I...that would be a spicy meatball
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    ddraver wrote:
    Fribos tweeting that Tony Martin is 66-1 for Roubaix. I'm not a betting man but were I...that would be a spicy meatball
    I was going to reply that Quick Step will surely be all-in for Boonen at Roubaix. Then I remembered Martin was at Katusha now (I won't get used to that in a hurry)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    *Friebos
    - @ddraver
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    Classics, classics, classics! I'm so happy!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver wrote:

Mugs game to bet so far out, especially when he's the type of rider who might not even bother.
  • rick_chasey
    Any news if this year's Nieuwsblad is on TV?
  • Any news if this year's Nieuwsblad is on TV?

Early doors I'm afraid.
    Unless the Earth stops rotating, it's bound to be on for the usual 3 hour spot on Sporza.
    If Eurosport don't finally secure the coverage rights, then it's down to the Bike Channel.
    That's always the late, late show.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.