Photography Thread

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,987

Some kind of cultivated pansy, I think, so certainly related.

Yes, I've a friend who ran a business doing edible flowers for a while, and pansies were part of the mix.

• briantrumpet

Hate to admit it, but I think that the one without the bike, looking in the opposite direction, is better, compositionally.

• Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,727

Second one has a cracking reflection - perhaps should have re-positioned the bike [nice bike] 😉

• briantrumpet

I did wonder about putting the bike in the middle of the puddle, but as my bike stand is my helmet, and didn't want wet feet for the next 90 miles either, I decided against it.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,392

Looks more like a canal and tow path than a puddle!

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336

That's not near Blackbury Camp, is it? Looks very familiar.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613

Blue sky tourist season, so postcards at the ready. Tried out the Yashica 50mm lens. It’s old (63yrs), but still not yet obsolete. Hopefully, when I’m finished, it’ll go on for another 60.

• masjer

Abstract macro. I focussed on the lettering to leave a clue.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157

Slight tangent. I’ve went off the idea of getting a macro lens. Original plan was to replace my 85mm 1.8 with a 90mm macro but it turns out my existing lens is as good as you’ll get so the replacement would have been a big step down as a general use lens.

A family shoot yesterday confirmed that it is a bloody good lens and I should use it more!

I’d hardly use a macro lens so while it’s something I can appreciate, I can live without a rarely used lens.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • masjer

Probably a wise choice. Macro tubes are the way to go on the cheap. Dumb ones without any electrical contacts are v-cheap.

• rjsterry

Hope all you aurora chasers are all set up for the weekend.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross

Get your cameras out and pointing vaguely north. Just got the aurora over my house in the suburbs despite all the light pollution

• rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,967

I'm near to J25 of the M1. I can see the aurora easily in the garden, and even out in the street despite the street lighting.

I know this is a 'once in a lifetime' event, but I hope I see it again!

The older I get, the better I was.

• Pross

When you pay thousands for a cruise to see the northern lights and then get to photograph it from your back garden despite being under a street light

• rjsterry

Another one takes with my phone.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney

Lesson learned, take as wide a lens as you can get your hands on. I thought I'd take my 28mm 1.8 to get as much light as possible but it wasn't necessary, wider was. I tried a pano but I'll have to spend more time balancing out the exposure.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217

Yes, it was so bright most of my phone photos are a bit overexposed from the lights!

I tried manual mode and reducing the shutter time but then image stabiliser doesn't seem to work.

• Pross

By time I got up the lanes away from the worst light, found an alternative location as a couple of families had the same idea as me on what I thought was a random spot with a good view and set up my camera they had died down a bit and there was more cloud. I’ll process them later and hopefully there’s something decent there. Fingers crossed I can do something better tonight, I had to rush about after a concert last night.

• Pross

Did well to get a pano, They usually move too much

• briantrumpet

I did quite well to miss it entirely, but glad to see good photos from others!

• pblakeney

I went to a quiet road where I was the only person at my last attempt. This time it was like Piccadilly Circus. Cars strewn everywhere and chaos ensued when cars met in opposite directions as all the passing places were stuffed.

I ended up quite happy a mile or so from my intended location as in one direction trees added some foreground interest instead of an open unobstructed view with no focus point.

FYI - What my camera saw is much, much better than what my naked eyes saw. All I saw was what looked like some some strangely lit clouds. Colours were near invisible to the naked eye.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney

Long exposure times maybe capture that movement. It wasn't helped getting interrupted by passing cars. 😡

Veronese68 wrote:
  • masjer

Similar here, saw a glow, no photos, then went to bed...maybe tonight.

• Pross

A couple I got when I popped up to a nearby rerservoir but it was dying down by time I was se up. With hindsight I should have gone lower on the ISO or exposure time, these were on ISO 1600, 8" and f2.8. Most of them came out looking more like a sunset. The portrait one is my favourite, switched to that as the aurora was quite high in the sky. Incidentally, it was the first time I've been to the reservoir despite it being a mile from my house and having run around the outside many times. Until a couple of years ago I thought it was covered.

Fingers crossed for tonight, I'll try to out into a lower Bortle area and with a bit of luck also get some Milky Way core shots but this high, wispy cloud is a bit annoying.